Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

What are these weird noises I hear from random noise?

Can schizophrenia voices be tamed? Can you turn them into mere noise? Are they merely your mind thinking aloud (and making you panic and paranoid if you don't understand what's going on)? Am I oversimplifying things I don't know about?

GreyGhost said:

Consider yourself lucky not to have tinnitus.

As someone who has this condition for more than eight years (and now gradually becoming deaf), sometimes you're not sure if it was your own echo or did someone talk to you amidst the ringing. The worst downside is that I can't socialize properly with people anymore since sometimes the ringing drowns out some part of speech and I have to say "didn't hear that well, can you talk bit louder please?" At least I've grown accustomed to it, and sleeping won't be a problem.
I presume you don't have any problem hearing someone to talk while tinnitus hits?

printz said:

Can schizophrenia voices be tamed? Can you turn them into mere noise? Are they merely your mind thinking aloud (and making you panic and paranoid if you don't understand what's going on)? Am I oversimplifying things I don't know about?

When you read this you hear a voice in your head. Really. You can hear it now. Hello, fucknugget, I am the voice inside your head. You have ignored me for years, and now you are actually thinking about it, you are either pausing in this paragraph to have a little internal monologue or you are hearing two voices in your head. The other guy, he's a fucking dick, he's like the two hemispheres of your brain are doing their own thing and fuck the other guy, man, listen to meeeeeee....

printz said:

It can be a range of different things.

Some people with schizophrenia will experience voices that can sound like murmurs or whispers, others experience voices that sound like someone is talking right beside them. Some might hear voices that sound like they are in the other room, and maybe get louder and louder. My boyfriend for example says his sounds like someone standing right behind him and talking out loud.

Some voices might be harmless, or incomprehensible, but some might be hostile, or tell the person to hurt themselves/others.

Some people with schizophrenia might never hear a voice but instead noises. Footsteps, phones ringing, banging on a wall, glass breaking, things like that. They might experience both voices and noises. It differs between person.

As far as I know, the malicious ones are very hard to tame by yourself, and require professional help most of the time. My boyfriend had a nasty voice years ago that would tell him to take his own life on a daily basis. The result was him turning to alcohol to escape it, and a few suicide attempts. Mental illness sucks :(

As a schizophrenic this is an odd thread to read. First thing you need to ask your self is how old are you? Early to mid 20's then you might want to take some precautions. Can you tell me more about these slight external halucinations? Do you ever have caffeine prior? Are you stressed in general or prior to these experiences? If you've any serious questions about Schizophrenia or hallucinations in General Feel free to ask me. There are many reason why one can hallucinate and many of them arn't schizophrenia to be honest. Some of you have some strange views and miss understandings I see, kinda funny when taken lightly. Feel free to pm me if you wish JXC.

darknation said:

When you read this you hear a voice in your head

No dn. You are the voice in my head.

And then darknation was a figment of everyone's imagination.

As for the original topic I do agree that the only way you will get a legitimate answer with substantial facts is to talk to your doctor about it. You will get some helpful responses in this thread but honestly you aren't going to know what it is for sure until you talk to someone with a medical background (AKA your doctor)

printz said:

Can schizophrenia voices be tamed? Can you turn them into mere noise? Are they merely your mind thinking aloud (and making you panic and paranoid if you don't understand what's going on)?

It's easy to think about it this way using a functioning brain. When you have schizophrenia, your brain isn't functioning properly, you don't realise anything is wrong and you'll deny something is off when others point it out for you. Hallucinations aren't the best word to describe those symptoms, the onset of them is recognized as wrongly interpreting visual and auditory stimuli, basically your way of perceiving reality will be distorted.

MrGlide said:

As a schizophrenic this is an odd thread to read. First thing you need to ask your self is how old are you? Early to mid 20's then you might want to take some precautions. Can you tell me more about these slight external halucinations? Do you ever have caffeine prior? Are you stressed in general or prior to these experiences? If you've any serious questions about Schizophrenia or hallucinations in General Feel free to ask me. There are many reason why one can hallucinate and many of them arn't schizophrenia to be honest. Some of you have some strange views and miss understandings I see, kinda funny when taken lightly. Feel free to pm me if you wish JXC.

My parents would be upset(?) is I told you my age. I am 17 years old. I heard these noises since I was 16. These noises occurred shortly after my Grandfather died. Yet, I never had any stress from his death. He was a great, funny, and intelligent man.

Cyanosis is right in their statment.

J4rio -"wrongly interpreting visual and auditory stimuli, basically your way of perceiving reality will be distorted." Which are also hallucinations. They're minor(all people hallucinate to a small extent, so no need for immediate worry)

JXC- "My parents would be upset(?)" About what? If you're Ill? I hope not because if this is Some illness showing it's self (1.) It is in no way or shape your fault. (2.) If it (Could be any mental distubance, not just SZ.) is there, it's there. It will be apart of you whether it be bi-polar, SZ, or anything else, and IF there is a problem then faster you accept that, and work with a doctor to deal with it the better.

JXC -"I heard these noises since I was 16." it can start very lightly early, it did for me.

JXC -"These noises occurred shortly after my Grandfather died. Yet, I never had any stress from his death." you may not feel the stress, so the stress of the situation can can go unnoticed and could be affecting you, this can happen to anyone.

This slight hallucination could easily come from many different types of illness or stress, or even to much of a stimulent, like caffeine.

Do you have any other small Hallucinations? Visual snow (you see alot of static in you vision like on an old tv or as if it were snowing in the distance) Try to notice what your smelling, Do you see black lines or movement in your peripheral vision? Beware of word salad, if you fumble your words often in an odd manor I would take that seriously. When I get Word salad I know a psychotic break is coming on.

If anything you might want to start becoming more self aware, I advise you to Start meditating, notice how your thoughts are stringing together and critisize much of your thoughts. Most of all try to learn what you can stress managment wise and learning some anger management couldn't hurt. Beware of paranoia. Always remember What is, is, and what isn't, isn't. And stick to that.

Try not to Drink to much caffeine, I advise that you don't smoke anything with THC in it, Mostly be advised you want to stay away from drugs, They can make problems like this far worse. Do you smoke cigarrettes and how many if so?

If the murmurs are all your noticing for now I highly doubt seeking medical attention will do anything as of yet, Most doctors will wave little stuff like that by. If you've more issues then seek medical attention. Sorry for the wall of text, if you've any more questions or concerns feel free to ask.

j4rio said:

It's easy to think about it this way using a functioning brain. When you have schizophrenia, your brain isn't functioning properly, you don't realise anything is wrong and you'll deny something is off when others point it out for you.

This is called Anosognosia, not all schizophrenics suffer from it, I only Have it very slightly, It'll take me a couple hours to realise I'm having a delusion at worse.

Also, JXC, I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to give you advise for worse case scenario, Please Don't get hyped up overthinking this, just try to keep it in mind. with the stress or many other reasons this could be happening and not related to sz at all. So don't get worked up, but stay on your toes, It'll be ok.

MrGlide said:

J4rio -"wrongly interpreting visual and auditory stimuli, basically your way of perceiving reality will be distorted." Which are also hallucinations. They're minor(all people hallucinate to a small extent, so no need for immediate worry)

Yes, they are hallucinations, but not the way general public would imagine them. Easier forms of the disease leave sufferer capable of distinguishing something is off but this "reality" line gets blurry in more severe cases. While on hallucinogens like shrooms you can realise that what you see is in fact a hallucination, but on the other hand, while you hallucinate on deliriogens like jimsonweed, you believe that the hallucination is in fact a reality and act accordingly. It's a comparable analogy to schizophrenia. Symptoms of sufferrers vary to such a degree that there is no universal test for the disease. If your hallucinations are minor, consider yourself lucky.

And yes, I'm aware that there are also negative symptoms which are mainly affecting mood and emotional state. A minority of patients actually suffer only from these symptoms and positive symptoms like hallucinations aren't present at all.

MrGlide said:

This is called Anosognosia, not all schizophrenics suffer from it, I only Have it very slightly, It'll take me a couple hours to realise I'm having a delusion at worse.

Wiki states 30-50% of diagnosed patients.

My parents would be upset because they would not want to see me reveal some personal information about myself.

I do not drink a lot of caffine, and I do not do any drugs.

I do not have any "hallucinations" other than this.