Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDeAD1313

Help me choose between 55'' 1080p or 50'' 4k... I'm torn

So I'm looking to upgrade my tv set in the next few days as my tv is kinda going down the shitter. I don't have much money to invest, but the 2 I'm looking at are the same price, though the dilemma is that one is 55" @ 1080p and the other is 50" @ 2160p. To be specific, they're the Vizio E series or the Vizio D series.

I'm considering making the call and going for the 4k ONLY because it seems to be the future and is close to the same size tv I'm currently using (47"). One thing I'm totally and most worried about will be the upscaling of my Xbox One and Wii U. I'm afraid that it may distort the image being a bit of a budget model, possibly not having a very competent upscaling system.

What do you think guys? Suggestions? Reasons for them? I know it ultimately comes down to preference but I'm torn between the quantity vs quality type of situation I guess. Please help me make up my mind :) Thanks!

4K in 2016 is for dicks. Get the bigger screen. You can buy 4K when the consoles actually support it.

I really don't see a reason to own a 4K TV yet aside from bragging rights.

Be smart and wait till 4K is the norm, then you can get one for a reasonable price and actually have a use for it.

Keep in mind that unless you're sitting up close, the 50" and 55" will look identical as far as detail is concerned, even if you are going to play 4k content on the D series. Once you go past 65" you might see some of the increased detail of 4k content providing you are sitting no more than a few meters away.

Other factors that I would find more interesting are the TV's static contrast ratio, viewing angle, color accuracy and, if you're going to hook a console up to it, how much input lag it has when in "game mode". It might be difficult to find these kind of details outside of a few reviews like http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/e-series?uxtv=f581, which is for the E series model.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Vizio

Oh god no. I just got rid of my Vizio TV that I had for a little over 5 years because of this problem. You might want to think twice about buying a TV from them, as ALL models seem to suffer from this issue.

Mattfrie1 said:

Oh god no. I just got rid of my Vizio TV that I had for a little over 5 years because of this problem. You might want to think twice about buying a TV from them, as ALL models seem to suffer from this issue.

I've had a few vizio tv's. I still have a plasma down in the dude lounge from a long time ago that's still chuggin along pretty good. But that's def something to keep in mind thank you. No matter what I choose I'm getting the 5 year geek squad repair and replacement plan to cover my ass.

Done. Went with the 55". Should be here by Friday. I got to thinking and the thought of "I've yet to play Doom on a 55" screen" was the deciding factor. Friday's gonna be awesome :)