Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

Quake 3 map by me.

I've been experimenting with Radiant for quite a while and it turned out that it's not so hard to build in true 3D even after Doom. Just a little bit unusual for us.

It was my first try on it and I really like it, it's good for a break after Doom mapping.
I still have to get used to it.

It's actually a remake of one of my Doom DM maps.

If anyone's interested:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/12a1pn

Some screens:

Spoiler

Installation:

scifista42 said:

For anybody who doesn't know how to run custom maps in Quake 3, I did the research:

1. Put the .pk3 file into "baseq3" folder in your Quake 3 folder.
2. Launch Quake 3 and go to console.
3. Type command "/map fx-techdamn". (where "fx-techdamn" actually stands for the map's filename (with .bsp suffix) inside the .pk3 file, not the .pk3 filename itself)
4. If you want to add opposition, use ";addbot" command, for example ";addbot Doom".

For anybody who doesn't know how to run custom maps in Quake 3, I did the research:

3. Type command "/map fx-techdamn". (where "fx-techdamn" actually stands for the map's filename (with .bsp suffix) inside the .pk3 file, not the .pk3 filename itself)
4. If you want to add opposition, use ";addbot" command, for example ";addbot Doom".

scifista42 said:

Sorry, I forgot about that.
Actually, you don't need to use the console, I made it so the map will show up on the map list when you click skirmish.

Avoozl said:

It looks pretty interesting, I might boot up Q3A just to try it.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if it doesn't want to run in vanilla Q3 (it did for me) then try ioquake3 (source port). Point Release 1.32 is also necessary for today's maps to run.

FractalXX said:

Actually, you don't need to use the console, I made it so the map will show up on the map list when you click skirmish.

I looked into Skirmish beforehand and couldn't find the map despite scrolling through all default maps and through all game modes. Console worked and loaded it, though.

scifista42 said:

I looked into Skirmish beforehand and couldn't find the map despite scrolling through all default maps and through all game modes. Console worked and loaded it, though.

Interesting. Did you run it with vanilla Quake 3 with the latest Point Release?

Vanilla Quake 3. According to startup console log, it's Q3 v1.11 win-x86 Nov 24 1999. According to metadata, the file is from Dec 3 1999.

scifista42 said:

Vanilla Quake 3. According to startup console log, it's Q3 v1.11 win-x86 Nov 24 1999. According to metadata, the file is from Dec 3 1999.

Could you try it with 1.32 on your system? Just cause it worked on mine.

Could you link me to an actual non-demo version of Quake 3 1.32 engine executable?

(Also, you don't need to quote posts directly above your upcoming posts, you can just reply.)

Here's the executable.
You'd better install the full patch though.

What's interesting is that the level shows up for me in 1.32 but only without the levelshot (preview image).
In modern ports like ioquake3 or spearmint it shows up with the shot.

I still don't know what can cause this.

Can you please explain me how do I get it working after I installed the "full patch" you linked? The readme doesn't explain what has to be done, but something apparently has to be done, because as expected, simply launching quake3.exe in the folder I've just installed doesn't work (it would be strange if it worked and gave me full Quake 3 for free, wouldn't it?). Am I supposed to paste the v1.32 files over the files in my v1.1 folder to update them this way? (EDIT: Yes, I should have thought it. I expected something more sophisticated, I guess.)

scifista42 said:

Can you please explain me how do I get it working after I installed the "full patch" you linked? The readme doesn't explain what has to be done, but something apparently has to be done, because as expected, simply launching quake3.exe in the folder I've just installed doesn't work (it would be strange if it worked and gave me full Quake 3 for free, wouldn't it?). Am I supposed to paste the v1.32 files over the files in my v1.1 folder to update them this way?

You'll have to place it in your original Q3 folder (to be more accurate: where your "baseq3" folder is), it should work.
Should work the other way around: paste your baseq3 in the folder you've installed 1.32.

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.
It's still weird that the preview image doesn't work in vanilla, though. I'll look at it later.

Edit: Found the problem: the image is in png while vanilla doesn't support it for levelshots. Problem is that I've already sent it to lvlworld but luckily only a few people use vanilla nowadays.