Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

So whos going to make Plutonia in snapmap?

How likely is it that people are going to attempt to recreate classic megawads and maps in the new Doom editor? Obviously its going to be difficult and wont be 1:1 conversions, but I think we can bet people are going to try. Should we start calling fives on the maps we want to recreate?

I'm excited to see if people try to remake maps like Containment Area, Dead Simple, Gotcha (if there will be a spider mastermind or at least a measurable counterpart to the cybie) Hunted, and Go2it. I can imagine some guys are gonna make maps with piles of monsters and slap a "Hell Revealed" of "Sunlust" label on it for publicity. Nonetheless I look forward to classic map references in new snapmaps.

It will be impossible since there are a limited number of prefabs. Some of the classic levels might be possible but it would still not look right.

The closest you might be able to create fully would be E2M9.

Considering you can't create unique geometry, and considering outdoor areas are impossible, I feel like any interpretation of a classic map will look and play wonky. SnapMap seems to be aimed at a very different type of modding experience, one that focuses a lot more on adjusting variables to create unique situations.

GoatLord said:

Considering you can't create unique geometry, and considering outdoor areas are impossible, I feel like any interpretation of a classic map will look and play wonky. SnapMap seems to be aimed at a very different type of modding experience, one that focuses a lot more on adjusting variables to create unique situations.

Agreed. I predict that mappers will end up turning to SnapMap's scripting/logic features to make their maps stand out since it doesn't appear to allow for any sort of creative (or even varied) architecture.

If I can vaguely recreate E1M1 in Timesplitters Future Perfect (which is a somewhat primitive set prefab editor) then you could probably pull it off in Doom 2016...

Well by vaguely I mean square box rooms and green colored instakill sectors for hazards... Close enough, eh?

Wow you guys are bummers. That's like saying you can't make a jungle map in doom because there are no trees. You gotta use your imagination and get creative.

Piper Maru said:

I want to see Requiem get remade in Snapmap.

I want to see new and original things made in snapmap, not half-assed copies of good stuff I can already play elsewhere.

40oz said:

Wow you guys are bummers. That's like saying you can't make a jungle map in doom because there are no trees. You gotta use your imagination and get creative.

In-game map making tools are usually very limited , that's why .

40oz said:

Thank god I grew up with Muppet Babies.

There's no way of knowing how many pre-fabs are going to be available, and also I'm not aware of anyone at id saying or implying that modders couldn't put their own models in as well. There's not yet any way of knowing how 'limited' SnapMap will be.

Caffeine Freak said:

and also I'm not aware of anyone at id saying or implying that modders couldn't put their own models in as well.

They've said that they want all content to be available across all platforms because "everybody already has all the assets". So modding in extra prefabs does seem to be off the cards.

AirRaid said:

They've said that they want all content to be available across all platforms because "everybody already has all the assets". So modding in extra prefabs does seem to be off the cards.

Fallout 4 has cross platform modding though.
Why couldn't they do something similar?

The Civ said:

FO4 allows for custom assets across multiple platforms?

LkMax said:

Cool looking map but... what exactly is it? A new mission for Rage? Just a HUB level? Just a demonstration?

Yeah, a little context would go a long way. I have no idea what I just watched.

AirRaid said:

I want to see new and original things made in snapmap, not half-assed copies of good stuff I can already play elsewhere.

Why go to a fine restaurant, when you can just stick something in the microwave? Why go to the park and fly a kite, when you can just pop a pill? I can't wait to see a remake of Sunlust for Doom 2016.

The Civ said:

Because that's an entirely different approach. They are taking selected content and porting that to Xbox, rather than having content created on both platforms available on both.

AirRaid said:

Yeah, you may be right. At least they've mentioned a few times that they're thinking of the possibility of releasing a more in-depth modding toolkit, more akin to what they've done in the past. If they decide to do that, my bet is that it will probably be released as DLC sometime shortly after the game ships.

Fingers crossed.

HacX maps. Although I'm not sure if those are too big to create on SnapMap, given the limitations added to keep it at a decent fps.

In that case, how about Doom 64?

How about no?

You're stilling thinking about this all wrong. Recreating some other Doom level, whether it's an original one or something someone else made, is the laziest, most boring thing you could think to do.

Think of it like drawing a picture. You could draw something fresh, something you've just thought of, with these new tools you've been given. Or, you could take a piece of tracing paper, and reproduce a shoddy copy of something someone else drew.

I'd rather make a brand new map, not a stupid and useless remake for something i can already play (or already played) .

AirRaid said:

How about no?

You're stilling thinking about this all wrong. Recreating some other Doom level, whether it's an original one or something someone else made, is the laziest, most boring thing you could think to do.

Think of it like drawing a picture. You could draw something fresh, something you've just thought of, with these new tools you've been given. Or, you could take a piece of tracing paper, and reproduce a shoddy copy of something someone else drew.

Yeah what's up with this new doom game, with fast running, shotguns and imps and revenants and chainsaws like we've never played a game with that stuff in it before.

I mean, I prefer original content to rehashes, but there's room for covers in music, why not in map design? Certain map remakes present in pwads are actually arguably better than the base. Though I must admit I'm more keen to get in there and work on something original to scope out SnapMaps limitations and whatnot.

I love remakes if they are done well. I don't see any problem remaking classic maps for Doom.