Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

Mano Laikas: Doom2 megawad ready for playtesting

Hey guys, no electric service in my neighbourhood for the last three days *-*, I'll be taking into account all your observations for the next update, I hope the circumstances allow me to do that soon!

joe-ilya said:

Is this a parody of WOOO? What's with the huge flat bland areas all over the wad?

Well.. if you read the description you might be able to understand, some blandness is intended. Maybe you're wasting your time here instead of looking for projects that fit your needs better, but also don't waste your time being mad at people for enjoying mine.
Also, is this kind of repeated reaction what encourages me to make a joke wad, that joke wad would consist on a very very detailed military complex with squarish rooms, linear progression and some slaughter moments. The mobs will be crazy with excitement, not to mention if they play it with some childish mod with super big weapons and extra gore, they're going to enjoy that map in such a manner they'll forget everying about it in the next 3 minutes :)

Chris Hansen said:

It's funny how some people get praise and cacoward nominations while other people get screamed at and gets excluded from projects for something that looks like this. Weird.

Chris Hansen said:

Well of course. And I agree. But that does not make my statement any less true. If a certain someone had posted these screenshots it would not have generated a fraction of these positive responses. And that my friend is food for thought or still; just plain weird.

Man.. you got me. I pay people to praise my wads, it has nothing to do with the maps themselves. Also, now that you mention the cacoward, I bought it.

A few words in general..
The funny thing is that people that have criticized me from the beginning never gave me a hint of what could be improved gameplaywise, never a hint of how to exploit the space regarding to enemy placement etc.
It's like some poeple of this community reached some sort of status, position, name or "sacred knowledge" that they need to preserve and when something risky, fresh, or simply different, not according to the status quo gets some attention they need to choke it to dead so they can keep their digital thrones and speak in the name of what the real, the true doom is and must be.
I've seen mappers giving up too early, we must understand that after the years, putting the technical aspect aside, different map genres have evolved and they fit different tastes, so it's pretty useless to judge something that it's completely outside your personal preferences. You can say everything I do is shit, but keep in mind that is shit not because it is objectively bad, but simply because you don't like it.

map31 is the only one missing coop and dm starts (and 8 mp ssgs, lol)

also, map03 has a mp green armour (thing 227), i wonder if that is intentional (but only based on that all the mp items in every other map are just 8 ssgs now)

nicolas monti said:

Man.. you got me. I pay people to praise my wads, it has nothing to do with the maps themselves. Also, now that you mention the cacoward, I bought it.

Hehe! Sarcasm, I get it. Good stuff, good stuff.

Anyway, I never directly critized your work and I'm sorry you're taking it so personal. I just used your thread to try and point out some blatant hypocrisy. Perhaps that wasn't fair, but I felt I needed to express it.

Finished playing the wad, found it really enjoyable. Classic gameplay and level design, good monster placement. This time it looks like you made the maps half as long as the stuff from Eviltech or Favillesco.

I do prefer your longer maps despite what other people say but this is still pretty darn good.

I hope you will finish Reticula one day or release another Favillesco episode cause I love those as well. :)

rhinoduck said:

map31 is the only one missing coop and dm starts (and 8 mp ssgs, lol)

also, map03 has a mp green armour (thing 227), i wonder if that is intentional (but only based on that all the mp items in every other map are just 8 ssgs now)

God, I'd probably never realize that green armour had mp, thanks for telling me that, that item is not super necessary if you're a good player but it helps a bit for the final part of the map in case you receive some damage.
"(and 8 mp ssgs, lol)" yeah, lol too, my dm compatibility is pretty poor, at least I make sure all the 8 players can get out their respective zones and also they have their favourite weapon guaranteed.

Chris Hansen said:

Hehe! Sarcasm, I get it. Good stuff, good stuff.

Anyway, I never directly critized your work and I'm sorry you're taking it so personal. I just used your thread to try and point out some blatant hypocrisy. Perhaps that wasn't fair, but I felt I needed to express it.

Lol, the part of "A few words in general.." was not dedicated to you, just the sarcasm part. Nothing personal, but I wanted to express my thoughts about some controversy around my nomination and my wad's quality in general. I've read some lame things /attitudes for something I didn't ask for in the first place but at the same time I'm happy with the caco, I'm sure there are other talented people that deserves it too, this time it happened to me, that's all.

Firedust said:

Finished playing the wad, found it really enjoyable. Classic gameplay and level design, good monster placement. This time it looks like you made the maps half as long as the stuff from Eviltech or Favillesco.

I do prefer your longer maps despite what other people say but this is still pretty darn good.

I hope you will finish Reticula one day or release another Favillesco episode cause I love those as well. :)

Thanks, I guess the maps are half the size of eviltech maps 12-19 and 27-32 but very similar in size to the other maps, specially maps 01-11. The main difference is not the size but the monster count, and its composition, more mid tier monsters this time. Map26 is inspired on eviltech Map19 (the theme, not the layout) but smaller.
I'll see what I can do with Favillesco E3 and Reticula, it all depends on having prolonged free time and some nice ideas to expand and work with.

Chris Hansen said:

I just used your thread to try and point out some blatant hypocrisy. Perhaps that wasn't fair, but I felt I needed to express it.

Well, to be fair, the screenshots don't exist in a vacuum by themselves—there's always a name attached to it. In that regard perhaps if we had a newcomer posting them we'd see people less enthused, but so far monti has earned his laurels in the eyes of many, and people know there's more to his maps than what the visuals suggest.

Played the first 12 maps. I really love this wad so far though I must say that I agree with AD_79's complaint about the arch-viles. Many situations felt kinda samey bacause of this.
On MAP09 the switch to reach the secret area with the berserk pack is in front of a teleport line and can be activated only from a precise angolation, I thought it was bugged while playing maybe it would better to move it.
Also I found this on MAP10:
Edit: nevermind I was playing the first version

gaspe said:

Played the first 12 maps. I really love this wad so far though I must say that I agree with AD_79's complaint about the arch-viles. Many situations felt kinda samey bacause of this.
On MAP09 the switch to reach the secret area with the berserk pack is in front of a teleport line and can be activated only from a precise angolation, I thought it was bugged while playing maybe it would better to move it.
Also I found this on MAP10:
Edit: nevermind I was playing the first version

Nice find, that switch will be fixed on the next version, I've set the teleport action on the other side of the "door" so no extra tags between the player and the switch. I agree there are some over the top usage of AV in this wad, but I disagree with AD_79 in that those encounters are always the same.

scifista42 said:

The only flaw I find on this wad is that it reuses the same music which I already knew from Erkattanne, which I already knew from your Alpha Episodes, which I already knew from Eviltech. You reuse music from your own wads quite a bit too much.

This wad reuses music from my previous wads but anyway there are 10 new songs. Also I wanted to give those tracks of mine (reticula) a second chance. I'm still waiting for the name of the tracks in map17 and map29, 20 years later lol.

I've finished the first episode and I'm having lots of fun. Each level has been quite distinctive gameplay-wise, IMO, even if they all follow "monti" architecture design. I like that the monsters tier is really high (with lots of cyberdemons and archies) but it's far from boring slaughter gameplay. Also, this feels like a sequel to Erkattäññe (that focus more on low and mid tier monsters).

Some observatios:

- I don't mind much the Archville usage, but I can see why many are complaining about the way they're being used. (Archies behind a group of monsters)

- A few encounters felt quite unfair for me, espcially the Blue Armor/Red Key one in MAP04, with a cyber and at least one Arch behind lots of monsters lol.

- I had to look at Doom Builder to know where to get the red key on level 10. IMO, if you changed linedef 203 to a lift texture, that might saved me lots of time hahahah I had the wrong impression that the switch actually the trap when it actually lowers the lift.

- Also, I found the plataforming section in level 10 really annoying, I took like 20 times to cross the place lol

- I miss some more variated texture usage. I mean, In a thematic way. All levels until now feel like a E1-styled theme. It would be nice too see some more hellish or outdoor/brick sets too in later chapters.

Anyway, these are just some observations, I'm really liking this so far haha

Up to MAP24. Here are some things I found:
MAP14: it's just a very minor thing, in my playthough 3 monsters get down into the chainsaw room and got stuck in there. Maybe set the elevator to block the monsters as that room is a dead end
MAP31: I got stuck into the secret area with the blur sphere. The sector 48 has a wrong action I suppose. And I wasn't able to enter in the other elevator (sector 38), it isn't high enough.
MAP17: the secret at the sector 198 doesn't have anything.
MAP20: sectors 209 and 213 (2 steps at the stair with the scrolling texture and blinking effects) appear to bleed.

Yay, another wad by Nicolas Monti. :)
The maps are pleasantly interconnected, as usual, and they're fun to play. The visuals are simplistic and a bit crude at times, but over the years your style grew on me.

I'm 12 maps in, great stuff so far. I only wish the themes were a bit more diversified.

Some more thoughts on the Arch-Vile discussion :

Deadwing said:

- I don't mind much the Archville usage, but I can see why many are complaining about the way they're being used. (Archies behind a group of monsters)

To me the questionable AV usage in this wad comes from them being used in "surprise" traps with barely any cover whatsoever rather than AVs being placed behind monster groups ( which is largely tolerable as long as you have decent cover / ammo ).

Let's take a look at map 12 - there were two particularly irritating spots in this one : the first happens when you pick up the red key and have to go down a lift only to be welcomed by 3 Viles and Arachnotrons etc. in a small room with no cover. Great.
Then you have an AV placed right behind the red door, there's absolutely no cover at hand so you have to quickly waste him with 4 rockets before he roasts you. This kind of stuff isn't FDA-friendly.
Aside from that, the level was good.

WH-Wilou84 said:

Some more thoughts on the Arch-Vile discussion :
To me the questionable AV usage in this wad comes from them being used in "surprise" traps with barely any cover whatsoever rather than AVs being placed behind monster groups ( which is largely tolerable as long as you have decent cover / ammo ).

Let's take a look at map 12 - there were two particularly irritating spots in this one : the first happens when you pick up the red key and have to go down a lift only to be welcomed by 3 Viles and Arachnotrons etc. in a small room with no cover. Great.
Then you have an AV placed right behind the red door, there's absolutely no cover at hand so you have to quickly waste him with 4 rockets before he roasts you. This kind of stuff isn't FDA-friendly.
Aside from that, the level was good.

Yeah, you're right. I got punished with death sometimes because I was with the wrong weapon in the traps (pretty sure it was that trap on map 12)

Deadwing, gaspe and WH-Wilou84, thanks, I've updated the file taking into account the mentioned problems. As for map10 I've moved a bit one of the pillars so the jump is safer and yeah, that lift seemed a secret so now it has the platform texture.
I've replaced one of the archviles with a baron in the RK trap on map12 (the one which is in front of the lift), Not sure if it helps a lot but you can look for some cover without being insta-raped when descending into that area. As for map04 cyber trap I'm not sure what can be done without killing the challenge, I usually dispatch the AV with the bfg first and then take care of the rest. The trap is very obvious so the player is warned from the beginning.

Nice, I'll download the new version!
About that battle on map4, maybe add one or two medkits in the battle arena? (like more a subtle change instead of changing too much the setup)

Deadwing said:

Nice, I'll download the new version!
About that battle on map4, maybe add one or two medkits in the battle arena? (like more a subtle change instead of changing too much the setup)

Possibly, for the next version. I'll replay that fight several times to see what's more appropriate.

Finished to play the wad. Last couple of things I could find:
MAP26: shouldn't the sector 132 (or 46) be secret as it has a soulsphere? But idk if it's intentional.
MAP27: the secret sector 117 should have monsters blocking lines on top. I found it because the elevator was activated by the revenant. Also nearby the linedef 635 (with a monsters-only teleport) redirects to the sector 117 which hasn't a teleport destination.
MAP31: forgot to tell about this but I wasn't able to get into the secret exit. Is it actually doable that jump? I tried many times but failed.

Overall the balance seems right on most of the maps. Though from E3 (especially on maps 25 and 29) I felt that I had a bit too much rockets many times.
There weren't strong thematic differences between maps or the episodes but every map managed to be different and the gameplay was always fun (even though I "got used" to it I still think that the overusage of archviles was a bit obnoxious sometimes :P).
I really enjoyed this wad. Fantastic job!

gaspe said:

Finished to play the wad. Last couple of things I could find:
MAP26: shouldn't the sector 132 (or 46) be secret as it has a soulsphere? But idk if it's intentional.
MAP27: the secret sector 117 should have monsters blocking lines on top. I found it because the elevator was activated by the revenant. Also nearby the linedef 635 (with a monsters-only teleport) redirects to the sector 117 which hasn't a teleport destination.
MAP31: forgot to tell about this but I wasn't able to get into the secret exit. Is it actually doable that jump? I tried many times but failed.

Overall the balance seems right on most of the maps. Though from E3 (especially on maps 25 and 29) I felt that I had a bit too much rockets many times.
There weren't strong thematic differences between maps or the episodes but every map managed to be different and the gameplay was always fun (even though I "got used" to it I still think that the overusage of archviles was a bit obnoxious sometimes :P).
I really enjoyed this wad. Fantastic job!

Thanks man, very helpful for a final polished version, those things will be fixed on the next version. That jump in map31 is doable, but very difficult, it's a rocket jump. I'll be cutting a very few cells on the latter maps, so those rockets will serve a purpose. On the map themes, sure, this mapset alternates between a few styles, maybe map16, map20, map21, map23 and the secret ones are a slight departure in style, but I guess this is the theme overdose I wanted :p

Hmm. I want to love this, but after 9 maps I feel like I sort of already have seen everything the wad has to offer, so I don't have much motivation to continue. I quickly looked at some of the following maps in the editor, and at least at first sight they seem to be disappointingly similar to what I've already played. Design philosophy remains unchanged, sometimes texturing themes are exactly the same, monster usage is familiar too...

I think with every release you learn something new, so if you're planning to make another wad at some point, in my opinion next time you should concentrate on diversity more than on anything else. Like, create both basic looking maps and highly detailed maps, short ones and gigantic ones, easy and hard, monochromatic and very varied in texturing, etc. Try to employ various mapping approaches: for Map01 first draw it on paper, for Map02 first come up with 5 completely unrelated areas and then try to connect them, for Map03 close your eyes and draw a huge sector randomly and then work from there, for Map04 only use Grid 32 or something.

Maybe even invent a few mapping personalities in your mind and switch between them: Richard James has lots of creative setups but his texturing is a bit crude, Bob Hansen is very meticulous about texture alignment and never gives the player more ammo than necessary, Michael Anderson is a huge fan of Hexen and loves making puzzles and death traps, Jimmy Hoskins just copies American McGee all the time, etc. Basically, try to make it seem like the wad wasn't made by just one person, even though it was.

Well, this is just a friendly advice. You're experienced and you seem to know what you're doing, so you don't have to listen to me of course.

kuchitsu said:

Hmm. I want to love this, but after 9 maps I feel like I sort of already have seen everything the wad has to offer, so I don't have much motivation to continue. I quickly looked at some of the following maps in the editor, and at least at first sight they seem to be disappointingly similar to what I've already played. Design philosophy remains unchanged, sometimes texturing themes are exactly the same, monster usage is familiar too...

I think with every release you learn something new, so if you're planning to make another wad at some point, in my opinion next time you should concentrate on diversity more than on anything else. Like, create both basic looking maps and highly detailed maps, short ones and gigantic ones, easy and hard, monochromatic and very varied in texturing, etc. Try to employ various mapping approaches: for Map01 first draw it on paper, for Map02 first come up with 5 completely unrelated areas and then try to connect them, for Map03 close your eyes and draw a huge sector randomly and then work from there, for Map04 only use Grid 32 or something.

Maybe even invent a few mapping personalities in your mind and switch between them: Richard James has lots of creative setups but his texturing is a bit crude, Bob Hansen is very meticulous about texture alignment and never gives the player more ammo than necessary, Michael Anderson is a huge fan of Hexen and loves making puzzles and death traps, Jimmy Hoskins just copies American McGee all the time, etc. Basically, try to make it seem like the wad wasn't made by just one person, even though it was.

Well, this is just a friendly advice. You're experienced and you seem to know what you're doing, so you don't have to listen to me of course.

Lol, old friend, it's funny to read "warming up" when we know it should say "cremated in this site".
I accept all the observations on the theme persistence, they are justified. I guess I made an episode of 32 maps with some exceptions maybe. This mapset was planned that way from the beginning, even when no maps were made. I deliberately chose how many E1 maps, how many alphy, etc. So as I said before, it's kinda an overdose and I would even recommend to play it in steps. There is an expression in spanish "sacarse las ganas", I guess that defines what I've been through when planning the megawad, it means when you feel the urge of making something and you have to make it to the end so you are free from that urge.

If I make new maps, aside of a future episode, they will be different and unique, because I have to reinvent myself and display some skills that I did not show regarding to visuals.

Anyway, I care about every aspect on the maps, and even when the visuals of this one are simple, I ever care about lesser things like what flats on windows or doors when mimicking the alpha /old style, what specific combination of flat /texture, or how the exit room will be, taking into account the other exit rooms on the previous levels, or how deep will be the sector for the door3 texture at the beginning of the levels, avoiding to make 2 consecutive levels with the same entrance, etc. Things people easily miss and many more things.

You should try map16, map20 or map31 for something slightly different. Map16 is intended to be felt as a crappy 90's level with those trees and ulgy textures /flats.
map31 is 1994 crap, with all the sins, furniture, church, unpegged doors and even a toilet in the middle of a courtyard because yeah, toilets for everyone in 1994 maps.
On the gameplay I still have some insecurities because over these 4 years I've been warned of what not to do but not adviced of what to do, so I guess I get better but slowly, blindly trying and discarding what was wrong, avoiding the same mistakes but maybe adding new. It gets even more confusing when some people says good gameplay and others bad on the same wad XD.

we'll see what I come with in the future. For now I have to get a job and get back to the university, so very few time for mapping.

I've just finished everything yesterday.

With the exception of 2 or 3 moments there, I found everything quite well balanced. I agree that there isn't much theme variety, but on other hand, every level is quite unique and have memorable landscapes or battle layouts, so in the end that wasn't much a problem.

The rocket focused gameplay was quite refreshing, and using high-tier monsters without going slaughter made the pacing through the maps perfect. Also, even when you get the BFG in like map 3, It was good to see still some scaling happening through the levels.

Map20 was one of the most badass maps I've played, with that music, tech texturing and an epic 3 cyberdemon fighting in the end. (not hard, but still epic)

Anyway, congratulations for you mapset, monti! It's certainly Cacoward material.

nicolas monti said:

After doing half of Eviltech with DoomEd I'd prefer to die before touching that software again, mostly due its crashes, not to mention using the calculator for some sector's height because of the lack of view mode. Favillesco E2M9 was edited mostly with DoomEd too, back in 2008 I think, so it's officially the first favillesco map.

I mean, the NeXTSTEP DoomEd.

Hello Nicolas!

I played some Mano Laikas this week. I didn't find any blatant errors, but I came to some conclusions:
-You're able and willing to alter your mapping style, which is pretty impressive. There are significant differences between the latest Favillesco, Erkattäññe and Mano Laikas, for instance.
-Ruki looked really good, and reminded me of the "biomechanical" art of H.R. Giger. Intentional?
-I liked the new music, but the re-use of old tracks was a bit of a downer, since I associate those with your earlier maps.
-The super-secret map was creepy, but I guess that it was intentional. However, she's quite the beauty and you should consider yourself a lucky man, I think!
-You execute the 1994 / early PWAD style very well. Unfortunately for me, I can't say that I find it to my liking. I'm permanently stuck in E1 mode, it seems.

Deadwing said:

I've just finished everything yesterday.

With the exception of 2 or 3 moments there, I found everything quite well balanced. I agree that there isn't much theme variety, but on other hand, every level is quite unique and have memorable landscapes or battle layouts, so in the end that wasn't much a problem.

The rocket focused gameplay was quite refreshing, and using high-tier monsters without going slaughter made the pacing through the maps perfect. Also, even when you get the BFG in like map 3, It was good to see still some scaling happening through the levels.

Map20 was one of the most badass maps I've played, with that music, tech texturing and an epic 3 cyberdemon fighting in the end. (not hard, but still epic)

Anyway, congratulations for you mapset, monti! It's certainly Cacoward material.

Thanks Deadwing, and most of all for appreciating map20, I think of that level like something in space or another dimension, tried to make something eerie for that one. And yes, aside the theme consistency I tried to give each level some "distinctiveness", I guess most of that is explained in the txt file that comes with the wad. To give some exampes, the central area on map06 resembles the central structure I used in favillesco Amalthea e4m4, some kind of big boat. Map07, with the worldmap layout, you teleport from spain to south-america, some historical stuff and the middle east part has the barrel trap, some reference to the "explosive" nature of the region. The western corridor of map25 takes some ideas from a non released map from the alphas, those narrow windows with shawn textures. things like that.

Superluigieth1 said:

I mean, the NeXTSTEP DoomEd.

Lol, I guess I'm too busy /old to try new editors unless they're even more friendly to use than DB2, things like a "thing" mode where you actually see the type of monsters and objects without having to click on them..

Olroda said:

Hello Nicolas!

I played some Mano Laikas this week. I didn't find any blatant errors, but I came to some conclusions:
-You're able and willing to alter your mapping style, which is pretty impressive. There are significant differences between the latest Favillesco, Erkattäññe and Mano Laikas, for instance.

Thanks, great to hear the case that you noted some difference or "evolution"

Olroda said:

-Ruki looked really good, and reminded me of the "biomechanical" art of H.R. Giger. Intentional?

Totally

Olroda said:

-I liked the new music, but the re-use of old tracks was a bit of a downer, since I associate those with your earlier maps.
-The super-secret map was creepy, but I guess that it was intentional. However, she's quite the beauty and you should consider yourself a lucky man, I think!
-You execute the 1994 / early PWAD style very well. Unfortunately for me, I can't say that I find it to my liking. I'm permanently stuck in E1 mode, it seems.

About map32, yeah, it IS creepy, I guess I had no way to make it less creepy and it might be seen as the work of a psychomaniac lol, but I wanted to make some kind of tribute and I'm fine with it, and no, not that lucky, but shit happens.
About the 1994 style if we may call it that, yeah, the worst thing is that I'm dreaming to make an episode with that theme in the future but I bet nobody will like it :)

kuchitsu said:

I love this idea. Almost like a TWID thing, but with mapping personalities you invent yourself. That could be a really fun project to do.

What essel said. I may do something like that in the future, actually, seems like it would be a lot of fun.

nicolas monti said:

About the 1994 style if we may call it that, yeah, the worst thing is that I'm dreaming to make an episode with that theme in the future but I bet nobody will like it :)

I'm not so sure that nobody will. The archives are loaded with maps of similar style, after all (Worst and best case scenario: You get mentioned in "Sector Toilet Aficionado" magazine). Bottom line- If you want to make such an episode, you should!

In the spirit of our late invitations, let me extend one to you to come and play Mano Laikas with us in TNS #242.

Hint: It's today! 31st March is the day! 19:00 BST...

Btw. Is there a songlist for this wad? I would really like the source of the Map07 song, for example...

kuchitsu said:

Btw. Is there a songlist for this wad? I would really like the source of the Map07 song, for example...

Damn, I didn't see this, busy with the outside world, song list:

map01: Earth Worm Jim level 1
map02: chris3.mid by Christopher Wilkins
map03: reticula map03 song (personal composition)
map04: Solo Tus Canciones by Daniela Herrero
map05: reticula map01 song (personal composition)
map06: Espada by javiera Mena
map07: Luna by The Smashing Pumpkins
map08: reticula map02 song (personal composition)
map09: Das Boot theme
map10: Some smiley safari midi, HELP!!!
map11: Some TNT midi I like, I don't know the map's name

map12: Sommeil Paradoxal by Sobrenadar
map13: Some smiley safari midi, HELP!!!
map14: Trust by The Cure
map15: reticula map10 song (personal composition)
map16: Some smiley safari midi, HELP!!!
map17: Some smiley safari midi, Specially HELP!!!
map18: reticula map04 song (personal composition)
map19: reticula map06 song (personal composition)
map20: Blade Runner Theme

map21: reticula map05 song (personal composition)
map22: Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush
map23: reticula map07 song (personal composition)
map24: Your Silent Face by New Order
map25: Some smiley safari midi, HELP!!!
map26: Equinoxe 4 by Jean Michel Jarre
map27: reticula map09 song (personal composition)
map28: Some smiley safari midi, HELP!!! / osiris.wad intermission
map29: Some smiley safari midi, Specially HELP!!! / ep4b.wad some level too
map30: Peri Physeos by Sobrenadar

map31: Luz De Piedra De Luna by Javiera Mena
map32: Canon In D by Pachelbel