Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SleepyVelvet

Noisy misc maps (1 so far)

Hey, if i'm ever in the mood of making a map, i'll post it here. I recently had the enthusiasm to finish one :). When will more come?: maybe in a couple weeks; maybe in a couple years - who knows!

MAPS:
1. Subverted Base v1 (boom compatible; no difficulty settings)

Pic:

Spoiler

map 1

cheers!

troll-exit / 10.

here's a thing: https://www.mediafire.com/?hg3cx04ppru4da4

maximum intertwining seemed to be the MO, made for a rather neat tangled-noodle sort of layout. additionally, I like the idea of secrets that let you skip portions of a map (which is what I'm assuming happened). my only complaint it the texturing felt like a bit of an afterthought, I have a vendetta against flood-filling maps with horizontal bars nowadays :p

cool, thanks for the demo. yah, texturing is low priority for me, and flood-fill horizontal bars is my budget approach to texturing. I respect your vendetta though :)

Spoiler

also, there was another, symmentrically located exit next to the shiny red one you took which actually leaves the map.

Ribbiks said:

I have a vendetta against flood-filling maps with horizontal bars nowadays :p

The thing is I'm not sure you can have much variety in "clean" techbases without horizontal bars. There are bricky textures like STONE2/3 and such, METAL1 variants which tile badly, and then various boxes. Apart from that, it's basically just elaborate composites. Like, support+whatever at regular intervals or something. Example:

Maybe the requirement should be that horizontal bars are used creatively. I think there are some BTSX maps that do this and some that don't at all. Using BTSX because it's clearly the posterchild of modern-day horizontalbarism. :)

Your map has an odd combination of gameplay themes and progression that I don't see very often, but I like nonetheless. The scrounging for ammo and a weapon to deal with the fodder at the beginning is nice, and the first outside slaughter arena kicked my ass a few more times than I'd like to admit. The architecture is great, especially where you're moving through areas previously denied by height, though I do share Ribbiks' qualms about the texturework, but even then it's still visually appealing (the separation of the main wall textures using struts helps a lot.)

I'd love to play more maps by you.

I tried a few times, i love the cold color scheme and the first outdoor fight was very fun a few times, but i lowered the difficulty to the easiest and it was still too slaughtery for my tastes :) Are there any differences in difficulty? I tried HMP first and it didn't seem any different when i lowered it. Nice music choice too, and it's pretty cool starting with a rocket lawn chair for the initial struggle. I had fun punching rev's through the window also. I gave up when i entered a room and about 40 revenants appeared on the lowest difficulty :(

I liked it, here's a FDA: https://www.mediafire.com/?s770dnqk7u468x8

Gameplay was fun and mildly challenging with the outside battle being the highlight. The second soulsphere I grab is pretty redundant in my opinion, especially since there's plenty of health in the next room anyway. There seemed to be quite a bit excess health and armor in general which perhaps made the map easier than it could have been. Item placement and general architecture really reminiscent of your Nova II maps (which I also enjoyed).

Didn't really mind the monotone color scheme or the low detail, and the layout definitely works as others have said.

Sorry about the lack of difficulty settings. Though, I'd sooner finish my other maps before I figure out how I wanna handle difficulty settings on this one.

I noticed recently that plutonia has very sparse monsters, but has a lot of area denial from all those chaingunners, which caters to a more cautious playstyle. This map on the otherhand (the outdoor fight and revenant fight, particularly), has less chaingunners, but a lot of meat walking around that flushes you out of a position, but doesn't punish you for running to another position. For some of the crampier indoor sections, I couldn't really figure out how to make the same type of combat work without spending too much time on it.

I actually played a bit of plutonia after making this map, and had my ass handed to me, plutonia is hard.