Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LANEGRACABRA

DOOM Twitter - Campaign averages around 13+hrs

This is pretty good news. I've always took my time in games, even with shooters. I like to have challenge from the beginning and be thorough with the levels for secrets. I also prefer to play without crosshair just to add bit more difficulty. Ultimately I think my first gameplay will take around 15-20 hours.

13 hours, damn thats a pretty solid length for a story mode. I'm happy with this and I cannot wait. Lol, the 13 hour average time they got was probably from the staff in the custodial department.

I'm use to playing open world RPGs like Fallout where a game can last well over 100 hours. But Wolfenstein took me roughly 11 hours and I had good fun. It didn't feel too short.

AirRaid said:

You could at the very least provide a link to what you're talking about, jesus.

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/697883390821982208

yeah sorry posted in a rush

Touchdown said:

And when the game comes out people will report 5-6h playtime.

It's a very common thing and depends on player mentality. People played Fallout4 through in 20 hours while I've sunk over 120 hours and have done maybe half of all quests.

What I want to say is that devs always exaggerate the supposed game lenght in linear games. 13h? Heh, good one. 10h is actually very long for a SP non-open-world shooter. Also depends on how cutscene-heavy DOOM4 will be, how much time will be spent actually playing.

But at the end of the day the value of the game is not measured in hours. What matters is how satisfying the game is, whether it feels complete or lackluster. If you leave with the sense that something is missing, even a 20 or 30 hour campaign will not help.

I'd be happy with a 6h campaign as long as it delivers a satisfying experience all the way through.

Touchdown said:

What I want to say is that devs always exaggerate the supposed game lenght in linear games.

That appears to be the case lately, yeah. Wolfenstein: The New Order, for one, was advertised as being up to 20 hours long - I finished it in less than 10.

I've got a good feeling the campaign of DOOM '16 will last roughly 8 hours, though.

MrInternational said:

13 hours, damn thats a pretty solid length for a story mode. I'm happy with this and I cannot wait. Lol, the 13 hour average time they got was probably from the staff in the custodial department.

HEY! Easy now.. I'm in the custodial business ;)

Touchdown said:

What I want to say is that devs always exaggerate the supposed game lenght in linear games. 13h? Heh, good one. 10h is actually very long for a SP non-open-world shooter. Also depends on how cutscene-heavy DOOM4 will be, how much time will be spent actually playing.

And don't forget level loading times, which they might very well be counting into the 13 hour estimation. It would suck if the whole 3 hours above the usual 10 hour estimation was the sum of level loading times alone.

Expect the campaign to take on average about 8 hours; companies always over embelish the game times. Not to say there isn't enough content for stretch out to 12+ hours (and also how replayable it will be) but always take these averages with a grain of salt.

Not to rag on Doom or anything, but time isnt really a good measurement of a strong campaign. If you account for backtracking and timed missions where you're locked in an arena and have to fight wave after wave of repeating monster encounters. I just hope snapmap is versatile and offers a lot of creativity.

It could be inaccurate due to the fact that folks in the office already know how to play this game and they also probably know where most of the secrets are, therefore they probably wouldn't explore as much as someone who's never touched the game would

DooM_RO said:

You can finish the original Doom in a lot less than 4 hours.

Yeah, what matters is how fun and replayable the campaign is, not how long it is. Doom is a 4-5 hour game for me, but I've played it soooo many times.

So I actually hope iD is not padding out the campaign length with any type of redundant/repetitive gameplay. Keep it top-notch throughout and well-paced. I think most of us will agree that Doom 3 was actually too long.

Well there's a lot of factors.

Are you playing the game for the first time?
Are you dying a lot? (That is very often something that stretches the playtime)
How much exploration is there? How much do you care for it?
If there're optional story bits, do you read/listen/watch them all? (I imagine reading all the emails, watching all the vids and listening to all logs in DOOM3 takes quite some time)
How much time do you spend on admiring the scenery?

In a linear shooter with no optional quests and a clear progression I'd say there won't be any serious time-wasters. I mean, I haven't read the previews but I don't think the level design will be anywhere near as confusing as some of the original DOOM levels. So it's not like somebody fairly competent at playing shooters will get lost for hours. Some people will probably immediately select the highest available difficulty and that will obviously slow their progress down.

But what we all seem to agree on is that it should first and foremost be an amazing campaign to begin with. If it's entertaining and well-paced, it might as well be 6-8h and nobody should complain.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Yeah, what matters is how fun and replayable the campaign is, not how long it is. Doom is a 4-5 hour game for me, but I've played it soooo many times.

So I actually hope iD is not padding out the campaign length with any type of redundant/repetitive gameplay. Keep it top-notch throughout and well-paced. I think most of us will agree that Doom 3 was actually too long.

I dunno about DOOM 3 being too long...

I'm working thru the SP campaign on Veteran, trying to find all the PDAs, listening to the audio logs, looking for the secrets, etc. and so far I'm not even at the 7hr mark and am currently at Site 3.

It does help that I've beaten the game a ton of times in the past, though...

Huh, taking all deaths and the fact that I know all the little nooks and crannies into account, my doom2 playthru was about 6 hours. If I wasn't familiar with the maps I'd guess around 15 hours, so this sounds right to me.

My first play through will be very slow. I am sure the people at Id know where they are going and stuff. I expect it to be about 13-16 hours for the first time.

I will die!
I will go back and find that last secret I missed!
I will try to get all the bonus shit!
ect.

Then it depends on the difficulty. It depends on what difficulties do to the game. I want more monsters with each increase so I hope that is what we see. If that is the case Ill probably start easier then work my way up.

For me it will be much longer than 13 hours. I always take my time to explore everywhere that I can, take in the atmosphere and music and soak in all the creativity. I like getting my money's worth, and if it's a game that I really enjoy I usually return to it to find all the secrets and extras that I might have missed the first time through.

Even if it's 8 hours it's still 8hr of pure gameplay without laborious exposition and cutscenes and all that story telling crap. Want story, lore, secrets then enjoy your 15+ hours of Doom))

DooM_RO said:

You can finish the original Doom in a lot less than 4 hours.

For a first time playthrough?
Single levels can easily take 20+ minutes, even more so if you get completely stuck.

Doomkid said:

Huh, taking all deaths and the fact that I know all the little nooks and crannies into account, my doom2 playthru was about 6 hours. If I wasn't familiar with the maps I'd guess around 15 hours, so this sounds right to me.

DOOM 2 is much harder than the original DOOM, but I guess it's offset by the fact that there are fewer maps (32 v.s. 36).

Plasma Gun said:

DOOM 2 is much harder than the original DOOM, but I guess it's offset by the fact that there are fewer maps (32 v.s. 36).

Ultimate Doom, which added Episode 4, came out in April 1995, 7 months after Doom 2. At Doom 2's release Doom had 27 levels.

Plasma Gun said:

As Wheresthebeef said, some of the original Doom maps can be rather laborious the first time around due to nonlinearity, pushing the playtime up quite a bit further. Based on what Linguica has said though, it's going to be pretty hard to get lost here compared to the older titles.

Like several others here, I'm less about the number of hours and more about the quality of gameplay.