• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

What do you think of the new Steam Box?

Steam Link

Amazon Link

I think that it is pretty cool but the price tag is a bit high.

I also don’t know why it has 5 HDMI ports. Why would it have 5 HDMI ports? I think that’s a little much.

Sounds like something the rich and luxury gamers would buy, so no thank you, my PC has always been the way to go and will always be, no need for these pointless machines.
Not to mention that there's cheap pcs that can run most games on high settings.

Halfblind said:

It's not replacing my vibrator... Wait... you meant steam, as in... Okay never mind.

Halfblind said:

I also don’t know why it has 5 HDMI ports. Why would it have 5 HDMI ports? I think that’s a little much.

One of those is an IN port. So maybe some sort of fancy video mixing software? Over-compensation? They threw dice?

As prolly most people here I can build my own pc, so steam boxes and Alienware are things I wouldn't spend my money on (personally). I dunno, it seems like they're going after the crowd that doesn't get into pc gaming because all you have to learn.

Given the $900 price tag and the fact that you will possibly spend in excess of $300 dollars or more on games alone that is nowhere near what us poor Americans spend on health insurance. In some cases $1200 is what we spend on health insurance for 3 months in other cases it is what some people spend on health insurance in just 1 month. Those of us that live in the gap where we earn too much to qualify for the government subsidy and too little to pay for it ourselves we cannot afford a $900 to $1200 for a high end gamming system. Especially when the health insurance offered by our work is still highly priced and doesn’t cover much. Living in America kind of sucks right now thanks to Obamas mandatory healthcare laws. Heath care isn’t cheaper right now it has become way more expensive than ever before thanks to the current administration.

By my opinion if Valve wants to kill off the console market they need to make a cost effective gaming system that is easy on the DRM and great for indie developers. It wouldn’t hurt to support a bunch more older PC games that have been around for a while. Games such as Draken: Order of the Flame, Freelancer, Heretic II and most of the great older PC Star Trek titles.

Other than that I think it strange that it comes with a driver DVD when the device doesn’t appear to have a DVD drive in it. I guess they figure it good to have another type of backup in case you lose the USB drive or accidently deleted the data from it.

As Halfblind said: Not in my most LSD infused dreams.

I /would/, however, buy a Steamlink and hook it up to a large TV while my PC ran in a different room. That's a pretty awesome value for money that allows me to keep one machine in the house to do everything I want it to do (work and gaming) without having to jack up my power bill or buy another machine.

That is, if I had a gaming machine. <_<