Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

how about making weapons more colorful?

most of our weapons are too grey. what if the had color in them?

below you can see a palleted version of hdoom's ssg, wich uses the same amuscaria sprite we used for our ssg

i think the weapons could look much nicer if we gave them a more vivid coat of paint. what do yall think?

I'm actually a fan of the idea. Mainly because It gives things a slightly more vibrant look to the weapons. Giving them more appeal than just more giant chunks of grey. That being said. I'd love to see something Purple, but we all know how well Doom tries to handle "purple".

yes it's a pity, purple just cant be done in doom, even if you pull it off in small sprites they turn gray the moment you step away XD

btw i am not suggestins adding the hdoom sprite, i just put it as an example cause it looks really nice i think. other weapons could have green, or blue or red bits

I also think some weapons (especially the ones added in 0.10 release) are not just too grey, but kinda fuzzy and indistinct, lacking sharp detail.

More color could be good. While I think that hdoom weapon looks pretty cool, for me that might be going too far in the other direction (too cartoony).

i'll keep that in mind. ive been meaning to try my hand at editing the regular shotgun, aside from making it the details more clear, what else do you think should be done to it?

When inspecting the new shotgun's graphics i noticed a faint light line on the top of the barrel, probably where the two pieces of plastic forming the barrel came together, that could be fixed.

Hello, can I also try my hand at editing the pistol a little bit? I'm not entirely 100% sure if it's allowed so I figured it was better to ask.

Either way I think what the guns need is more contrast/sharpness to them rather than more colour. Right now they're a little fuzzy looking.

Could brightmaps be used to enable purple "lights' on objects, which won't turn gray with distance?

More color couldn't hurt, as long as it doesn't look like it would suit a clown.

raymoohawk said:

tried to edit the new freedoom pistol and failed miserably :(

That actually isn't bad!

Faxmachine said:

Hello, can I also try my hand at editing the pistol a little bit?

I welcome it. :)

jute said:

Could brightmaps be used to enable purple "lights' on objects, which won't turn gray with distance?

Too outside of the vanilla scope, IMO.

raymoohawk said:

below you can see a palleted version of hdoom's ssg, wich uses the same amuscaria sprite we used for our ssg

http://orig03.deviantart.net/9aaf/f/2016/044/5/9/sht2a0_by_raymoohawk-d9rnewr.png

i think the weapons could look much nicer if we gave them a more vivid coat of paint. what do yall think?

That would be beautiful if the super shotgun was red.

Sodaholic said:

More color couldn't hurt, as long as it doesn't look like it would suit a clown.

I played Serious Sam 2 recently. Instead of making me allergic to vivid colors it actually put me in a vivid color-favoring mood.

I even like clowns now. Killing them at least.

Good idea, but no other weapon than the rocket launcher should be red IMO. When I saw your sprite, my first impression was actually "rocket launcher".

raymoohawk said:

http://orig03.deviantart.net/9aaf/f/2016/044/5/9/sht2a0_by_raymoohawk-d9rnewr.png

Ugh, are you serious? Please don't.

i'll still give it a try, besides more people want to see colored weapons. gray and brown games are too boring to look at. i get the feeling that if some of you had youre way thats what we would end up with. there isnt a single monster ive designed that people havent suggested should be brown or gray

you forgot something: the game isnt brown and/or gray. more, weapons ARE NOT monsters, just because a certain color wasnt requested for monsters does not mean that such can be applied to weapons as well. if you want to still give it a go, try to come up with something that makes sense, the red ssg does not make sense as a shotgun; maybe if you make the current ssg rusty with blood on the tip and appearing splattered in the mid of the weapon. one could argue that you would need to do the same for the rest, except that the ssg is best at close-melee ranges.

you could also make the sg silverish and give it stylish curves at the side, the rocket launcher could have black and yellow labels at the sides and make the tip carbonized, polish the pistol a bit (its details are fuzzy), add greenish camouflage to the "ring" of the chaingun, add a hand to the chainsaw and add blood to the saw (it is attached to the arm and the hand is in a claw-like manner, the hand closes during attack and the chainsaw is pushed a little forwards), the plasmagun needs to appear less fuzzy too

i ended up posting what still needs to be done, whatever, there are some suggestions regarding colors and what i think that would be well received changes

I was afraid HDoom's SSG would be involved.

I vote no, if you wish to make it that colourful.
I vote yes, if you add some sensible colouring.

All that aside, how about working on the hands first, by adding gloves?

raymoohawk said:

i'll still give it a try, besides more people want to see colored weapons. gray and brown games are too boring to look at. i get the feeling that if some of you had youre way thats what we would end up with.

I think DOOM (and hence Freedoom too) walks a fine line between semi-realism and cartoony-ness.

My feeling is that many people here just don't want to see Freedoom become too cartoony. Very colorful weapons have a tendency to look cartoony, more like toys than something real (or plausibly real).

By all means give it a try, I will be very interested to see what you come up with. The hardest part may be ensuring that all the weapons in Freedoom work well together as a set.

More contrast with some less grey is all fine and dandy, but I'd hate to see Freedoom turn into some sort of dumb NERF advert with over-saturated nonsense.

I like the example of the SSG at the top of the thread, but yes, overdoing it may have a negative effect on the overall look of the game. So maybe just some tasteful colored trimming, leaving essential parts like barrels alone, but color-trimming parts like frames, grips, etc. In the SSG's case, how about reversing the color scheme in use? Leave the barrels in the silvery-grey color, but turn the parts that are currently silver into that orange color.

Well alright, if it will be in milirtary-ish colors - maybe would be nice.

As example:
- I doing new PR for Freedom.

that sprite is looking good, but i have to say military drab coloration is the opposite of what i was arquing for. i'm actually surprised that you did not side with me, since the sprites youve made have been colorful

With time things can change.

raymoohawk said:

that sprite is looking good, but i have to say military drab coloration is the opposite of what i was arquing for.

You meant something like that?

Frankly, I'm preferring the drab, although that might just be the terrible blues allowed. Even then, though, the drab colors seem colorful enough for that specific weapon while not overdoing it.