• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDope

DOOM ALPHA CODE/Strings (New Info) **SPOILERS**

wowee said:

Perks confirmed?

[copyrighted material removed]

Again this isn't news. We've known about perks for a while, since the game informer stuff I think.

Fantast1k said:

Look at this :D we need more codes people!

haha, that looks like doomguy is holding something else...

Fantast1k said:

Yes

Are this bots or actual people? If people: is multiplayer still possible at the moment???

tuo said:

Are this bots or actual people? If people: is multiplayer still possible at the moment???

They're bots

Buckshot said:

Am I the only who thinks this thread is treading on some mighty thin ice and might come with some future repercussions in some form?

No, I share your trepidation, especially since this is now news on gaming sites as well. Curious when (if?) the other shoe drops and how that plays out - I suspect a cease and desist notice, which is fair enough; hopefully there's no legal repercussions. Nonetheless I'm going to eat up any info I get simply because I'm super excited and id already has $120 from me. May can't get here fast enough.

Johnatone said:

No, I share your trepidation, especially since this is now news on gaming sites as well. Curious when (if?) the other shoe drops and how that plays out - I suspect a cease and desist notice, which is fair enough; hopefully there's no legal repercussions. Nonetheless I'm going to eat up any info I get simply because I'm super excited and id already has $120 from me. May can't get here fast enough.

I just wish this entire thread would have manifested elsewhere, like reddit or neogaf, though my moral compass points in the direction that this discussion shouldn't have happened at all.

Not saying it will happen, and it probably won't, but if Bethesda strikes back with lawyers or DMCA takedowns, I'd prefer the best DOOM site on the net not to be the sole center of it. Scares me, lol.

geX said:

I really hope they don't change the announcer from the beta. I love the disinterested banker!

Yup! He's AWESOME!

Buckshot said:

I just wish this entire thread would have manifested elsewhere, like reddit or neogaf, though my moral compass points in the direction that this discussion shouldn't have happened at all.

Not saying it will happen, and it probably won't, but if Bethesda strikes back with lawyers or DMCA takedowns, I'd prefer the best DOOM site on the net not to be the sole center of it. Scares me, lol.

Wouldn't the DMCA take down only the thread?

xblade said:

Wouldn't the DMCA take down only the thread?

I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer. I just know in recent times, corporations seem to use it liberally when it comes to protecting their IP, and I've seen entire sites removed over it.

I don't know what the stipulations or prerequisites are for a company to file such a complaint... but having material posted, discussed or hosted from intellectual property under a NDA without consent is probably on that list somewhere.

Buckshot said:

I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer. I just know in recent times, corporations seem to use it liberally when it comes to protecting their IP, and I've seen entire sites removed over it.

Destroying Doomworld wouldn't do much at this point, considering it has leaked into other sites, forums, and even major news sources.

The Civ said:

Destroying Doomworld wouldn't do much at this point, considering it has leaked into other sites, forums, and even major news sources.

I doubt that they would too, seeing how DW attracts a good crowd of people playing and buying their games, lol. It probably hurt them more than help them to shut down the main doom hub on the web.

But, hypothetically, if Bethesda wanted to fuck with us... they could in multiple ways. And not by just taking down sites... as they hold all rights to DOOM and other Id games, they could say "no more modding, wadding, or mapmaking and doing so is punishable by law".

Of course, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that as that's the sole reason DOOM is still played to this day for most of us, and they'd be alienating themselves from that 99.9% customer base, but still... they could if they so desired.

If they are clever (and not listening to some lawyer who want's to see blood...and money...glory kill) they let it run. The data is there anyway, and it is all over the net already. And I am quite sure torrents are running hot currently with people who want to get their hands on the Alpha. But they have the big advantage that:

a) people are getting absolutely hyped regardind the new Doom, and it is talked about currently. This positive hype (especially from the classic Doom fans...Spider Mastermind is baaaack!!!!!) might materialize in a couple more pre-orders
b) not too much is spilt, no playable single player levels, no "story" etc.

Plus, as a software developer myself: why the hell does a company as professional as iD release an .exe with what looks like source code comments or at least internal information to the net? Normally, this is disabled by default when you compile a release build (in this case, alpha-release).

I would be very surprised if they overreact. I guess they will ask this forum to delete the thread, and be done with it. The whole leak is working in their favour, if you ask me.

BTW: could somebody enlighten me: how was it back with Doom 3? I remember "playing" (there was not much to play) the E3-demo leak, and actually became very hyped seeing the new graphics engine...how did iD handle it back then? Did they shut down forums/threads discussing it (not promoting/sharing it, that's a given).

The Civ said:

Is there any way to control how many bots you get in a match?
For some reason I'm only getting 2 on 2s with bots.
I'd love something a little more chaotic.

EDIT:
Nevermind, found it.
Just had to scroll down.

Well, that's cool (how can I do that?).

Enforcer said:

The sad thing is that nobody knows who I am irl (I'm just a nobody with a lot of free time).

DooM_RO said:

I ask you again, did you change the FOV in the video in which you claimed the speed was faster? What is the default FOV?

The video was recorded with the FOV @110.

Tuskin38 said:

There is a FOV slider in the campaign menu, it goes up to 110. SP Movement speed is faster then MP.

A LOT faster than the MP imo.

loismustdie555 said:

But.. Then again. They are targeting this game a lot towards casuals and non long-time fans, I say that mostly because of the console players they are targeting the game for. Who also likely couldn't handle that much speed.

I actually don't care if the game is targeted to "casuals" or console players, I just want it to be fun.

wowee said:

welp perks sorta confirmed I guess? Or something of that nature I'll try digging up more shit on it. It might be an effects system?

5 different playable demons

MP Gamemodes

Medals

Damn son, that's some nice info.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being nobody cares and 10 being Marty Stratton is throwing office equipment at employees and loading his SSG, how upset do you think id is right now?

Well a lot of game sites are talking about the leaks in a positive way so I don't see the problem.

Buckshot said:

I doubt that they would too, seeing how DW attracts a good crowd of people playing and buying their games, lol. It probably hurt them more than help them to shut down the main doom hub on the web.

But, hypothetically, if Bethesda wanted to fuck with us... they could in multiple ways. And not by just taking down sites... as they hold all rights to DOOM and other Id games, they could say "no more modding, wadding, or mapmaking and doing so is punishable by law".

Of course, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that as that's the sole reason DOOM is still played to this day for most of us, and they'd be alienating themselves from that 99.9% customer base, but still... they could if they so desired.

They would probably start by issuing a standard cease and desist order to the webmaster requesting all sensitive information be removed from public access and/or deleted. I don't know why everyone thinks that teams of attorneys always go nuclear right off the bat. It's a gradual, step-by-step process, which allows for a case to be built if there is blatant, continued malfeasance and court is where resolution is sought. Spreading misinformation and fostering paranoia isn't cool.

Job said:

Spreading misinformation and fostering paranoia isn't cool.

...and breaching NDA's and leaking work in progress data is?

They take time out of their schedule to let people test something cool in cooperation with their trust in silence, and then they leak it out to be judged before it's completed.

Jaxxoon R said:

And if they wanted it to be leaked?

I would argue that the NDA, steam watermark, removal of data after alpha finished, disclosure agreement window, limited alpha release, etc would imply they did not want it released.

Now, that's not saying that it's so close to release, maybe they just aren't taking it seriously anymore, but with all the "DO NOT DISCUSS/DISTRIBUTE" plastered on it since the first alpha in october, it would have been just easier for them to say "ah to hell with it, discuss the shit out of it" from day 1.

No, aside from possible weird paradoxical reverse psychology, I do not believe they wanted that info out there. Just my thought on it, tho.

Buckshot said:

...and breaching NDA's and leaking work in progress data is?

They take time out of their schedule to let people test something cool in cooperation with their trust in silence, and then they leak it out to be judged before it's completed.

No, they get free (as in beer) quality assurance regarding the netcode, the server infrastructure, it's scaleability, the rendering performance and the overall direction of where they want to take multiplayer (and - regarding rendering performance/engine - single player).

I don't say that this entitles us to break the NDA, I am on the same page as you regarding that. I agree/sign a contract, I do my best to stick to it.

I would agree with you if it was a Half Life 2-situation, where the leak clearly showed that the game was not as far developed as told, and that some early screenshots where not entirely ingame. This would lead to someone judging a game before it is ready to be judged.

In this case, all we can judge is if the stuff we wanted to be in the game, actually is in the game. And even then, we have not the slightest idea if the game is truly "finished", or if half of the stuff that was found will be removed before release (e.g. Bots, FOV sliders etc. pp.).

At the moment, I don't see this leak as harming iD or costing them money. I rather see it as more fuel for the hype of the fans, and a means to reassure that they might deliver exactly or at least mostly what people were looking forward to. And even this judgement is mostly based on strings in a source code, and depiction of alpha assets in a map that wasn't ment to be played alone/after the alpha-period/with the console active.

IMHO, it would have taken them not more than ten minutes to completely remove the console before compiling the public alpha build. They opted not to do that, and in this day and age, they should be very well aware that the bigger the hype around a game gets, the more people are digging through it's assets and source code (e.g. Undertale, The Witness etc. pp.)

Is it breach of contract? Yes. Does it hurt iD or Bethesda? I am not so sure, and even think it benefits them.

tuo said:

Plus, as a software developer myself: why the hell does a company as professional as iD release an .exe with what looks like source code comments or at least internal information to the net? Normally, this is disabled by default when you compile a release build (in this case, alpha-release).

tuo said:

IMHO, it would have taken them not more than ten minutes to completely remove the console before compiling the public alpha build.

This is what I was trying to say, they're not fucking idiots to leave all that debug info and not expect someone to try to crack the alpha. Worst case scenario is they don't give a shit about the leaks.

MrDope said:

The video was recorded with the FOV @110.

Can you record some videos of movement while firing different weapons, like chaingun plasma or assault rifle. Do those weapons slow you down?

tuo said:

Good post, +1

I'm glad that everyone's perceiving this as a good thing, but at the same time, whether we perceive the data as good or bad, we simply cannot make such a hasty judgement off this alone.

Example: What happens if this hypes the crap out of people, they see this stuff and they're like "oh man, this is going rock!", sets the world on fire with hype then it comes out and it's either lukewarm or an atrocious turd? Not only would that come as a crushing disappointment to us, but then we'd feel pretty cheated and be quite the laughing stock, simply because we promoted a turd based off a few strings of code and some unfinished work.

-or-

Example 2: What happens if this puts out a negative portrayal of the game (from a developer that's pretty much on its last leg after the past mishap), disuades interest and sales of the game, and even though upon release it totally kicks ass, misses the sales mark from the early hate feedback, Id gets shutdown, and the series is disgraced from ever getting another sequel (unlikely, but just an example). All over some data that was never meant to be seen.

These are some worst case scenarios, but while improbable, are possible, and serve as a reminder of why such NDA's for testers exist in the first place.

Of course, there's always example 3... it's every bit as good as we think it is and as its hyped to be, and it's a huge success. We hope that's the outcome, but we don't really know.

I played the alpha. Yet I'm not going to pass judgement on the game until I play it in its completed retail form. Sadly, that's not the case for many out there, who speculate for better or worse on any little detail they can find even prior to release, which can drastically affect the outcome if portrayed in a certain manner.

Hope this helps clarify my concern on the matter.

Buckshot said:

I'm glad that everyone's perceiving this as a good thing, but at the same time, whether we perceive the data as good or bad, we simply cannot make such a judgement off this alone.

Example: What happens if this hypes the crap out of people, they see this stuff and they're like "oh man, this is going rock!", sets the world on fire with hype then it comes out and it's either lukewarm or an atrocious turd? Not only would that come as a crushing disappointment to us, but then we'd feel pretty cheated and be quite the laughing stock, simply because we promoted a turd based off a few strings of code and some unfinished work.

-or-

Example 2: What happens if this puts out a negative portrayal of the game (from a developer that's pretty much on its last leg after the past mishap), disuades interest and sales of the game, and even though upon release it totally kicks ass, misses the sales mark from the early hate feedback, Id gets shutdown, and the series is disgraced from ever getting another sequel (unlikely, but just an example). All over some data that was never meant to be seen.

These are some worst case scenarios, but while improbable, are possible, and serve as a reminder of why such NDA's for testers exist in the first place.

Of course, there's always example 3... it's every bit as good as we think it is and as its hyped to be, and it's a huge success. We hope that's the outcome, but we don't really know.

I played the alpha. Yet I'm not going to pass judgement on the game until I play it in its completed retail form. Sadly, that's not the case for many out there, who pass judgement for better or worse on any little detail they can find even prior to release, which can drastically affect the outcome if portrayed in a certain manner.

Hope this helps clarify my concern on the matter.

I completely agree with you! I also played the alpha, was kinda hyped (I am honest...somehow it didn't grab me as I wished it would, but I am looking forward most to the SP anyway).

Companies always want to have control over communication and PR (who wouldn't???), and an NDA is an NDA. I still would be surprised if Bethesda/iD goes full-out DMCA on this. I fully expect either a formal eMail to the board admins or maybe even a cease and desist, but nothing more (even against the people dropping the Info here). Would only cast a bad light about them, and gaming companies learned the hard way in the past years that you can't treat your customer badly and expect them to get on with it...

Hofmann said:

Can you record some videos of movement while firing different weapons, like chaingun plasma or assault rifle. Do those weapons slow you down?

I did some finagling around with the cvars and found that "pm_runspeed" is set to 400 and "pm_sprintspeed" is set to 500. Now two things I've noticed are that 1) you move faster going forward than you do left, right or back and 2) if you bind "_sprint" to shift, it doesn't do anything to your speed. That means that "forward" is also set to "sprint".

Some weapons seem to disable sprinting when firing (plasma rifle, chaingun, Heavy AR, Gauss Cannon, etc), but I've also noticed that the single player portion of this seems to be based on a MUCH older build and the multiplayer portion is actually a more recent build (not Conan O'Brian recent, but a LOT newer than the campaign mode in the Alpha) since firing the plasma rifle while moving didn't seem to slow me down any in multiplayer.