Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDope

DOOM ALPHA CODE/Strings (New Info) **SPOILERS**

I've created this account with the sole purpose of posting some new info that I've found while digging into the alpha files.

As you can see, I managed to backup most of the files from the previous alpha test and after reading about the Heatwave Map and the unused SP weapons I thought that maybe there was some sort of code or string inside the .exe file (I'm not a software engineer or a hacker, I just did this because I was bored as fuck).

Here we go:

[copyrighted material removed]

- As you can see, there's some info about a character related to some NPC named Olivia. Maybe this is related to the crazy lady from the last Game Informer Article (the one who unleashed the demons in a sort of satanic cult thing).

- THE SPIDER MASTERMIND/SPIDERDEMON is present.

- The same for the Archvile.

- AI and tags for the Cyberdemon.

- MP Maps.

- Some info about Marines vs The UAC personnel (MP factions maybe?)

- Difficulty levels, named after the originals from DOOM/DOOM 2.

- Something about an Aqua and a Hell Marine (NPCs? Armors? Upgrades?)

- Some technic information related to the rendering and the cinematics.

- The name "Zion" is present in almost every string, maybe was the original name for the project or it's related to the cancelled DOOM game (AKA Call of Doom).

If you wanna know more, just ask me and I will try to find some new info.

MrDope said:

Fuck the NDA:

Heh, I love how the Alpha icons for the BFG mods are the original sprite.

MrDope said:

- The name "Zion" is present in almost every code line, maybe was the original name for the project or it's related to the cancelled DOOM game (AKA Call of Doom).

SteamDB has an app recorded called "Elephant" that used to be known as "Zion", it part of the Id and Zenimax packages.

https://steamdb.info/app/203010/history/

I'm guessing it is an internal Alpha/Beta considering people are playing it right now

MrDope said:

- A new demon, "The Prowler" (a playable one?).

Maybe a demon that can possess enemy players, or teleport them to random places?

- QUAKE gameplay references (Speed, movement, jumping, "boosts", etc).

- MP Weapons info (nothing new here).

- Boss AI, tags, "CLASSIC" BOSSES.

- Some info about The "Summoner" (that monster from the GI article).

- Player CUSTOMIZATION (Armor, weapons and "Kill Cards").

- This is a big one: NPC AI INTERACTIONS (Survivors? SnapMap?) AND CHAPTERS ALA DOOM/ULTIMATE DOOM + SOME LEVELS REVEALED:

- THE FOUNDRY.
- OLYMPIA.
- SURFACE.
- ARGENT TOWER (Of Babel, JK).
- BFG DIVISION.
- BLOOD KEEP.
- CRASH.
- ELECTRO TOWER.
- LAZARUS.
- THE TITAN REALM and "THE INTRO".

ahhh so the two shown at qcon/e3 are called foundry and olympia_surface (judging by tags). that's cool. NPC AI interaction may be a SNAPMAP thing. They said that you can have AI "partners" in SnapMap. so you can give 'sides' to an AI. it can be against you or with you

Tuskin38 said:

SteamDB has an app recorded called "Elephant" that used to be known as "Zion", it part of the Id and Zenimax packages.

https://steamdb.info/app/203010/history/

I'm guessing it is an internal Alpha/Beta considering people are playing it right now

It all makes sense now.

Hofmann said:

Maybe a demon that can possess enemy players, or teleport them to random places?

I wish.

Hofmann said:

What about something related to audio, is there something in the code about music/SFX and events?

Found something about some "Original SFX" but I doubt it's related to the classic sounds from the original games.

Hofmann said:

Spoiler thread

Nah.

MrDope said:

Automap 100% confirmed (on the Mission tab)!

And based on the controls shown at the bottom (particularly the ability to orbit), it's going to be one of those fully 3D automaps similar to Descent's and Metroid Prime's! Fuck yes!

chubz said:

Automap 100% confirmed (on the Mission tab)!

And based on the controls shown at the bottom (particularly the ability to orbit), it's going to be one of those fully 3D automaps similar to Descent's and Metroid Prime's! Fuck yes!

The auto map had been officially confirmed for a while now. This isn't new

i dont know if you figured it out yet but when we were rooting around a few weeks ago we found that you can see the entire game's directory listing in the smaller gameresources file. model names/ material names/ CUTSCENE names of all npcs can be found there, as well as map names, etc.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

By reading the infos above, it's obvious that the new engine is based on Doom 3's engine .

no there are very many references to id 5's virtual texture loading. also, like in wolfenstein TNO and rage, if you unlock your frame rate in the alpha, your player speed changes. if you can still start maps, it's very easy to see by walking across the width of the map with and without your framerate capped.

Does this mean the cyberdemon can be used in snapmap? It looks like it isnt "part of the level" as Marty Stratton said the biggest bosses are. Looks like a normal enemy here

I'm getting a feeling that the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon aren't among the "boss monsters" that Marty was referring to, although they may serve the functions of bosses when they are first introduced. They may very well end up being used as regular enemies later on in the game, especially given the evidence of the Cyberdemon appearing in various different stages.

IIRC Marty said that the reason why boss monsters wouldn't be included in Snapmap was due to how complex their behavior was and how much scripting was involved, which makes me think of bosses that are basically tied to their respective environments and require certain elements to be in place in order to work, neither of which apply to any of classic Doom's bosses except for maybe the Icon of Sin. The behaviors of the classic bosses are far from complicated, and with the direction that this game is pursuing, that fact probably isn't going to change.

MrDope said:

- Something about an Aqua and a Hell Marine (NPCs? Armors? Upgrades?)

NitroActive as cameo NPC for his Terry videos. Obviously a joke.