Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FreaKzero

Doom Frontend with Oblige Build integration (Win & Linux)

Hi dudes,

Developing this thing now for a while and released today my first Release Candidate - when you think: "mahgawd not again a launcher" - the features ive chosen there are mostly because no other launcher had them - friend of mine who uses this thing said i should make regular releases because he thinks its awesome - so i did.

"Main" Feature of this is basically the Random Map Oblige integration - you can build and manage that directly in the launcher - also continuing with loading the savegames. If you dunno whats oblige is => http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

You can "bundle" and order different WADS into an wadlist for faster access.

I also had quite Problems with savegames in the past because im using 2 Sorceports (online Zandronum / offline gzDoom) - The launcher automatically manages Savegames based on used engine and wadlist.

Support for the most popular sourceports (gzDOOM zDOOM Zandronum Skulltag Doom64EX)
The thing is basically an WebApp (made with NodeWebkit) so no dependencies needed.

I would need especially some testers on the Linux Version of it.

12 megabyte GIF here
The Project: https://github.com/FreaKzero/ssgl-doom-launcher
The Binaries: https://github.com/FreaKzero/ssgl-doom-launcher/releases

Appreciate Feature Requests amd Feedback - Thanks guys.

Oo pretty.

Feature request: Can we have multiple wad file paths and be able to filter those multiple mod file paths? My doom folder is rather overly organized in different folders. One is for mods (say Doodle Broom), another for mods with levels (such as Torment and Torture), and another for PWADS (levelsets).

The filter also filters directorynames... i have my wads also splitted in categories (WAD rootfolder - and in there: maps, gameplay, additional)

So if im filtering "additional\" (on linux it would be a / obviously) im getting all my wads from the "additional" folder (stuff like DoomMetal, doublejump and so on) - the function which reads the wads is walking recursively through all files and directories so you can also do something like this: "brutal\mutators\" if you have multiple folders with "mutator" subfolders in them and just want the mutators from brutal.

Is that what you mean ?

Thanks guys ^^

http://imgur.com/1KvgZBF

I guess where I'm going at is that I have a doomengine directory where it branches out with pwads, mods, etc as well as engines and other stuff. Right now if I use doomengine as the wads folder, a big ol mess appears. What would be really nice is checkboxes as filters, such as Doom2 pwads as one checkbox or Mods as another checkbox.

Have you ever thought of adding a preview window to show screenshot images of the map if said images are named the same as the wads and are in the same folder or preview folder? Of course people would have to make their own screenshots but I think it would be a great addition.

I have to say, I've given this a go and it's very good. Clean, intuitive, stable, and of course aesthetically pleasing, I also really dig the Doom 64 EX support. But yeah, a preview screenshot feature would be nice.

Many thanks for your requests guys. And thanks to your posts here ive got some ideas.

I will investigate some DOOMWAD Apis out there if i can grab actual info from the Internet with just the wadname and integrate something like a "info" button on the general wadlist - if clicked the view will split into 3 columns (i dont want to "loose" the instaclick feature on the item directly)

Next thing will be Icons for PK3 and WADs so its better seeable - also writing the full paths out instead of just the last folder

PK3/WAD Dropdown for the Filter function.

What the folderthing belongs - i basically want to implement a directorywatcher, so the application updates itself when something in the wad folder gets changed, sorry but due to this i wont add a "multiple wad folder" Feature in it with hindsight on stability (deep filetrees) and complexity (setting up) - the filewatcher feature was now asked from alot of people and you are the only one who asked for that multiple folder thing.

If you guys want ill keep you updated and write again when im releasing Version 1 with that Features (will take a while - just started in a new company and dont have the time right now to develop this thing under the week)

- Why Skulltag ?
Request of a good Friend, since he only uses Skulltag (dont ask me why) same goes for the DOOM64EX Port better said there is the soundfile problems most noobs have. (Hope hard the Oblige people will integrate someday DOOM64EX capabilities :/ )

Other Integrations:
I right now only integrated Engines with similar Console Commands and abilities to run Mods like Brutaldoom, Trailblazer, SOWP, BDJ20, etc - since the launcher is optimized to run random generated Maps from Oblige (the reason why i wrote this for myself initially) with Gameplay WADs.

Tried to run Gameplay WADs with Chocodoom, 3DGE and a few others (on Windows) - and on many of that sourceports this WADs didnt run and so i didnt integrate them by now (!) - but will come in future versions.

What i can say is that 3DGE or Hyper3DGE wont come - simply because of the immensively stupid 8 Char restriction on the Windows Version

Didnt know PRBOOM and DoomRetro - will look into them. ODAMEX is also on my radar by now (know it since yesterday, shame on me).

Although I will say, logos for some of the community-made games like the Adventures of Square, Blasphemer, Harmony, Chex 3, or Action Doom 2 would be a nice addition. I also wonder why Skulltag was included considering it's been mostly abandoned after becoming Zandronum. Why not PRBOOM+, Doom Retro, or Chocolate Doom?

- Although I will say, logos for some of the community-made games like the Adventures of Square, Blasphemer, Harmony, Chex 3, or Action Doom 2 would be a nice addition.

Yup as i said ... will look if i can find any API out there where i can Scrape or get the Information/Screenshots so it can be automated. Have to investigate that.

Little update on the Screenshot/Info thing
Played a little bit around the last hour and did a little prototype (just if and how i can fetch info/data/screens from the internet)

so yeah - dunno yet how i will integrate that in the UI yet but will come in the next versions.

FreaKzero said:

Little update on the Screenshot/Info thing
Played a little bit around the last hour and did a little prototype (just if and how i can fetch info/data/screens from the internet)

so yeah - dunno yet how i will integrate that in the UI yet but will come in the next versions.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT0BKB63FIz5abdUKQ/giphy.gif

Great stuff, I didn't expect an internet search and fetch for screenshots but that really would help. :D

Update on the Screenshot and Filter UI things - im pretty happy with it now and want to know what you guys think.

Click on the PK3 or WAD icon will lookup Screenshots.
Only thing before i release that is a kindof "fallback" so you can store your own screenshots on your HDD. Im looking up the Screenshots via http://www.wad-archive.com/api

FreaKzero said:

I dont know anything about DEH files ?
Seems like this is a sourceport proprietary format ?

It's a semi-standard file that compliant source ports load to adjust various otherwise hard-coded game data. Basically, you present the file to the game port using a command line parameter "-deh" or or similar, and the source port knows what to do with it. Similar to (identical to) what you'd do to allow a custom demo lmp to be played.

This will come in the next release, its already in the dev branch - tested it with zdoom / gzdoom with BATMAN.DEH since ive read that this one is one of the more "undiplomatic" deh files out there. (runs even on zDoom/gzDoom mac versions)

The bad thing is that many sourceports dont use the same loading arguments so SSGL will only support sourceports which are using the argumentflag -deh for loading BEX and DEH Files.

Oh yeah ... i will ship OSX 64bit Versions aswell with the next release

Thank you for that Featurerequest!

Wow, awesome!

The bad thing is that many sourceports dont use the same loading arguments so SSGL will only support sourceports which are using the argumentflag -deh for loading BEX and DEH Files.

That's fine (for me). I'd be using it to launch gzdoom and, when SSGL supports it, Doom Retro.

As for what specific wads I'd want it for:

SSGL will definitely replace QZDL as my favorite WAD launcher (note: I'm on Linux) once I can load DEH files with it.

Hello!
I just created a account on this site now just to say that i love this Launcher.
Really fits in with Doom.
Now one last thing what is missing would be a "Portable Mode".
So you can maybe just insert the "Port" Folder inside the "SSGL" Folder and then under the Settings you write:
".\Port\"
Same for "Wads" and "IWads".
I would love to have this feature. Would made this Launcher truly awesome.

That and version 7.50 of Oblige just came out, so I don't know what version you are using in this project.

@Toxicdoomer => Do you mean something like an config import ?
This will come in v1.1.1 - also with configureable (WAD)Listdirectory, its already done in the development branch

you can try to use relative paths - just dont click on the file or folder button - just write your paths on the lines. I just dont know if it will work right now.

@glaice => i tested that stuff with Oblige 6.20 (better said ... using it everyday)
Workflow:
1. Make a folder where you want to save your Oblige Configs
2. Start Oblige
- 2.1 Make your Mapconfig as you want
- 2.2 Go under Menu > Manage Config > Save
- 2.3 Save the config in the folder (see 1)
3. Start SSGL
- 3.1 Activate Oblige in the Settings menu (scroll to the very bottom)
- 3.2 Fill in the path of Oblige.exe
- 3.3 MapConfig Path => Your created folder with the configs (see 1)
- 3.4 Random Map => the random mao which gets generated each time (and overwritten)
4. After pressing the play button in SSGL - check the use Oblige checkbox in the right lower corner before clicking on the iWAD
- 4.1 Click your wanted iWAD
- 4.2 Select your config - press build and play
- 4.3 Profit

Did the CLI Commands (Batch) change for Oblige in this new versions ? Because im using the batch options from oblige to generate the maps (--batch --load)

I want to write a user documentation in the future for exact that stuff - just dont have the time right now for that all.

Thanks for the reply.
No,i don´t mean a config import.
See, when you open SSGL, the click on Settings, and there you giving the full path for the Wad Path:

D:\SSGL\Wads

But what i want instead is giving just the relative path to that.

.\Wads

See what i mean?

And that i would wish to be a feature for the Wads-Folder, but also for the IWads and Ports Folder too. And yes, i already tried relative paths before, but it doesn´t work so far. Also, it is possible to change the background image (that with the Imp) to something else everytime you start SSGL?

I hope this all don´t sound to stupid. English is not my native language. :)

FreaKzero said:

Did the CLI Commands (Batch) change for Oblige in this new versions ? Because im using the batch options from oblige to generate the maps (--batch --load)

Batch mode is still there in 7.50 and is essentially the same.

Some of the defaults are different, and some of the usable keywords have changed (e.g. "tiny" is no longer valid for the "size" setting).

@Toxicdoomer

I can look into that after the release (i will release this weekend) - so maybe v.1.2.0 or 1.3.0
Also i would need to know what OS you are using.

"Also, it is possible to change the background image (that with the Imp)"
I think you are using a different fork ... a guy forked my original launcher a while back with a different skin and i think also featureset.
https://github.com/scar45/ssgl-doom-launcher

When you want to use the original - and want core updates/features - i suggest that you are using my original or talk with scar45 about your wishes.

My Original: https://github.com/FreaKzero/ssgl-doom-launcher
And you can there follow the Development process - what im doing right now, whats planned - and so on: https://github.com/FreaKzero/ssgl-doom-launcher/projects/1

I would suggest to wait after the weekend since i will release a version with major bugfixes

@andrewj @glaice When you save your config lists like i described with the oblige GUI - there should be no problems at all with the random map generation.

I will test it on the weekend before i release.