Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoatLord

Interactive computers

Recommended Posts

Clearly, there will be some. Should they be like in Doom 3, where some of them are just there to be interactive, and others actually unlock areas or otherwise affect the level? Also, let's not forget Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3. I'd really like to see some fun interactions with the computers. The hologram thing we've seen a couple of examples of are promising.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why but I'm pretty sure there won't be any interactive computer terminals in the game. .Well. .judging by the Conan's vid anyway. .Press Y to call the lift. .press Y to rip the heart out of the teleporter. .You know. .one action button that does everything. .Yeah! The Hologram scene in the E3 video looked sick!

Share this post


Link to post

does throwing a dead body against the sensor which triggers the door to open count?

Share this post


Link to post

Ha! Yeah, I guess the interactions are a bit more "varied" this time around. I don't mind the brutal humor, but I really thought the computer stuff from D3 was really immersive. And optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Enforcer said:

I don't know why but I'm pretty sure there won't be any interactive computer terminals in the game. . .Press Y to call the lift. .press Y to rip the heart out of the teleporter. .You know. .one action button that does everything.


Hhm, that would be actually a big step back from Doom 3's high level of interactivity. I hope this is not the case!

That "use button" could be just as well be used to enter an interactive display on a console and then proceed with an interactive GUI D3 style.

Share this post


Link to post
Tetzlaff said:

I hope this is not the case!


That is the case.



Trust me, they are not going to keep a whole other system of interaction in place just for the PC platform.

Share this post


Link to post

While I love the great GUI system Doom 3 has, I understand why they've taken it out of this game. Every interview, they always talk about the speed and flow of the game, always moving, never stopping. Having to navigate a fiddly little UI to call a lift or open a door would break that.

Share this post


Link to post

Never played the console version of Doom 3. How was the GUI system realised there? Was it completely replaced by a simple "press x to activate" mechanism?

Share this post


Link to post

If interacting with computers actually does something useful that aids you directly.

I don't give a shit about pressing a screen and seeing it "backing up files", unless it somehow does something to your environment that's either beneficial or dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Tetzlaff said:

Never played the console version of Doom 3. How was the GUI system realised there? Was it completely replaced by a simple "press x to activate" mechanism?

No it was still the mouse cursor

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

speed and flow of the game, always moving, never stopping. Having to navigate a fiddly little UI to call a lift or open a door would break that.


I understand this. That's why I would place some optional computer consoles were you could press Y to activate that fiddly little GUI first. That way it wouldn't interfere with your movement-focussed interaction. Or don't activate it if you just want to run and gun around. So you could have "press Y" for any simple interaction like pressing a switch to open a door, rip out the hell portal heart or do the finishers. And in addition to that you could have the option to take a deeper look by activating a GUI on *some* consoles.

Share this post


Link to post

By the way, was the guy in the Conan video melee-ing with the shotgun? Is that some kind of defense move?

Share this post


Link to post
redrage said:

That is the case.

http://i.imgur.com/AgMm9q1.jpg

Trust me, they are not going to keep a whole other system of interaction in place just for the PC platform.


Hello console game then..

Now if we please just could see the linear level design aswell :/

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

By the way, was the guy in the Conan video melee-ing with the shotgun? Is that some kind of defense move?


Yup. .It's a melee attack. .You could melee enemies with your gun in the Alpha! Same button triggers the Glory Kills

Share this post


Link to post
quakke said:

Hello console game then..

Now if we please just could see the linear level design aswell :/

I'm going to be totally honest in saying that I'm getting really sick of these posts you've been making.
The original DOOM didn't have complex fucking hacking minigames within it, it was just buttons.
This game just has buttons too.

The game was already confirmed to have non-linear levels too.
Quit being so ignorant, and maybe you'll actually enjoy yourself a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Enforcer said:

Yup. .It's a melee attack. .You could melee enemies with your gun in the Alpha! Same button triggers the Glory Kills


.May I ask. Why. .Exactly you are. .Typing like. .This. .Because it's really. .Annoying!

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

.May I ask. Why. .Exactly you are. .Typing like. .This. .Because it's really. .Annoying!


You were exaggerating a bit there. If two dots instead of one annoy you. Don't read my posts

Share this post


Link to post

Is there seriously a post about interactive computers?
...OK!

These computers may server as secret door openers since i doubt anyone would look at a computer for anything. Escpecially in a doom game, might i add.

I can already imaging me missing a secret at the end of a level because i didn't bother checking every computer on the map, with the one special snowflake computer having the button command to open a secret.

Besides that, there's not much else you can do with this. Well, unless the computer's mandatory to get to the next part of the map.

OR the computer is just the new switch of DOOM4, i dont know.

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

.May I ask. Why. .Exactly you are. .Typing like. .This. .Because it's really. .Annoying!


great post

Share this post


Link to post

For every material I have seen I think there will not be any virtual cursors on computers in this game. I wish, and I would love to see them, because they were nice touch and I love to examine every screen and try to read it. But I understood that if player have to stop near every terminal to point cursor on some small button to unlock door or even type door code it would ruin game speed they try to achieve.

Share this post


Link to post

The interactive terminals do not go hand in hand with the fast paced gameplay. I have also noticed that the detalis of the environment are built to be appreciated on the fly as opposed to the ones in Doom 3, which encourage the player to stop and look at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Enforcer said:

You were exaggerating a bit there. If two dots instead of one annoy you. Don't read my posts

Marnetmar's argument is legitimate.

Share this post


Link to post
TheGamePhilosophe said:

You can destroy some of the panels in heatwave, I found out, when messing around with the latest console commands.


Hey, how are you using the console? I'm using the start.bat which enables it, but nothing happens when I press the ~ key.

Share this post


Link to post
Zexxy said:

Hey, how are you using the console? I'm using the start.bat which enables it, but nothing happens when I press the ~ key.


try ctrl+alt+~

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

The interactive terminals do not go hand in hand with the fast paced gameplay. I have also noticed that the detalis of the environment are built to be appreciated on the fly as opposed to the ones in Doom 3, which encourage the player to stop and look at them.


Agreed. I think they worked really well with DOOM 3's slower pace. In a game as fast as DOOM 2016 looks to be, though, interactive terminals would needlessly slow the player down.

That being said, I absolutely loved them in DOOM 3 and I think it's a crying shame that we haven't seen more of them in first-person games. I'd love to see something similar in the upcoming System Shock game!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×