Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowChaser9000

"No, It Can't Be Real!!!" - new epic wad

New WAD I have here for you.
Partly I saw it in my nightmares so be careful for your mental health. Can't explain it better due to insufficient english, but I have decided that english speaking komrades must se it.
P.S. Don't go to the castle over the lake of toxic waste if you have mercy on your sanity.

You must have original DOOM2.wad to play this wad.
So here's the wad:
http://sv-gallery.com/NOITCANTBEREAL.wad

What port is this made for? This is crucial when releasing a WAD.

From a quick glance in SLADE, looks like it needs a limit removing port. (SLADE should really have a feature to tell you if a level includes any non-vanilla linedef types, but that's neither here nor there...)

Linguica said:

From a quick glance in SLADE, looks like it needs a limit removing port. (SLADE should really have a feature to tell you if a level includes any non-vanilla linedef types, but that's neither here nor there...)

This should be a new sticky or something: "ATTENTION NEW MAPPERS: before you post a wad" or whatever in the title. Literally half the threads by new users or mappers fail to specify compatibility and (just as importantly, what with ZDoomisms and all) what port the wad was tested in, which annoys me for whatever reason. Was meaning to request this earlier.

Played through this and generally enjoyed it. I got 95% of the kills but only found 25% of the secrets. A few comments:

- I got 25 minutes through the map and could have had about 1200 Cells before I picked up a PG at the Cyberdemon/Megasphere fight surrounded by Barons. I don't know if I just missed either that or the BFG earlier in the map, but if I'm able to stockpile that much ammo without finding a weapon to use it then I think the progression needs some work. You can explore a lot of areas so it seems very possible to go through areas in a "sub-optimal" (from a map designer's point of view) order. A more obvious PG is probably needed much earlier on the map, at the Spider Mastermind is a good location, especially as you don't get the SSG for some time.
- There's quite a lot of very large open areas with not much to do than run around, usually on damaging floors. The monster count is already quite high, but some Radiation Suits and some enemies to fight would make those a bit more interesting. Due to the height of these areas, Cacodemons/Lost Souls can be way out of your view.
- Where you pick up the Chainsaw overlooking the final area, you can actually shoot out at the nearby enemies, even though they don't wake until they're hit. You should probably have something stopping you firing at the nearby enemies.

I really enjoyed the end part of the map where you're teleported to a lava version of the ending area. I'm used to playing slaughtermaps so large amounts of enemies to kill in one area is good fun. Overall, a very enjoyable map to play, though probably won't be to everyone's liking.

degree23 said:

- I got 25 minutes through the map and could have had about 1200 Cells before I picked up a PG

So I assume you were using some sort of mod?

I actually quit when I had to activate Sector 2902 for the third time, wasting another moment of gameplay by having no option but to do absolutely nothing for yet another 60 seconds. Jesus Christ, speed this fucking thing up please.

Linguica said:

So I assume you were using some sort of mod?

No, I "could have had" as in, I ran past enough Cells that I could have accumulated that many. I never said I "had".

BaronOfStuff said:

Immediately -- immediately -- crashed out when using Choco.

"Works everywhere" indeed.

Ok man, he made a mistake. So what?

Sometimes I don't understand why people needs to be a dick with new posters. He already answered what matters: "Must work on most of them", "tested in Prboom".

rdwpa said:

This should be a new sticky or something: "ATTENTION NEW MAPPERS: before you post a wad" or whatever in the title. Literally half the threads by new users or mappers fail to specify compatibility and (just as importantly, what with ZDoomisms and all) what port the wad was tested in, which annoys me for whatever reason. Was meaning to request this earlier.

It's far from just new mappers who fail to specify the intended compatibility.

Anyway I generally like the map but holy shit I got sick of the nukage floors very quickly.

I really like the architecture you've put into here and from the video I see some parts that do look pretty cool (like the first AV fight with all the zombies and the slow lift 10-12 minutes in.

I think the texturing is a bit questionable in many areas, though, but most of those are either misalignments or clashing textures next to each other. Few flats that needed to be fixed, too, I suppose.

But I'm interested enough from the first 15 minutes of the video to try and give this a shot hopefully some time in the next few days; looks fun!