Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

PC Doom sound effects VS PSX Doom sound effects

Which is better? You can be vague about it or specific.

It's a tough call for me, the demon pain sound and the player death sound is far better in the PSX version, but the door sounds are better on the PC.

Personally I like N64/PSX Doom's sounds a lot more, but there's still some sounds of the original game that I like which are a bit meatier such as the shotgun firing sound.

PSX/N64 sounds all the way, some of the sounds effect on pc are better especially the monsters activating or death sounds.

After almost 20 years of hearing both constantly I thought that I'd have a strong opinion on such a topic, but I'm really not just for one side or the other with this. Basically if I had to choose only one soundset and could only use that for the rest of my Dooming days, I wouldn't. I need both.

FuzzballFox said:

Each have their pros and cons- but I agree with Piper all the way...the PC plasma AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

the replacement from sunlust is good. not that loud and still sounding powerful.

Plasma and Shotgun sound = 64/PSX

Everything else = PC

Though it would be cool if some of the demons could use their PSX sounds instead, hearing that "HAWWW" demon pain sound for 80% of the enemies gets a little repetitive but it never bothered me much.

Doomkid said:

Plasma and Shotgun sound = 64/PSX

Everything else = PC

Pretty much this. I absolutely love the PSX shotgun sounds.

i like more PSX/D64 sounds, but i agree on the sound of plasma need a bit "Improvement"

PC, if only because it's what I'm used to.

Also because the ActiveSound the Pinky, Baron et al use was replaced in the PS1/Sat/N64 versions with one of the Possessed Human SeeSounds from the PC version, which continues to confuse the hell out of me when I play those versions (or mods using their sound effects).

I'm not quite sure which set I prefer. On one hand, I really like the PSX sounds, on the other hand, they can be a little too bassy compared to the PC sounds IMO.

Shadow Hog said:

Also because the ActiveSound the Pinky, Baron et al use was replaced in the PS1/Sat/N64 versions with one of the Possessed Human SeeSounds from the PC version,

Er, this isn't the case at all.

I guess it'd depend on the map theme and atmosphere? Like, I could see an E1/E2 mapset working well with the PSX sounds, if only because they're darker and cramped. But Doom 2 just doesn't seem right without the PC sounds.

Overall, PC. But I can see there's probably some advantage to some of the PSX/N64 sounds. I've never liked the whole package, but say the plasma sounds pretty good. I've only just started playing PSX doom in the last few weeks, for the first time in 10 or more years.

Playstation sounds and PC music.

Is there a psxsounds wad that doesn't clip when firing the chaingun? I have a psxsounds.wad which sounds good but clips a bit, and used to have a psxsound.wad with tons of reverb and still some clipping

Dragonsbrethren said:

I prefer most of the PC sounds, with a few exceptions like the plasma gun that has already been mentioned. I'm so sick of hearing the PSX shotgun.

boom click click click boom click click click

I think each fits their respective games well and would sound out of place if swapped with the other.

I first heard the psx doom sfx while playing Doom64, which IMO is best fit for that game, combined with the other all new graphics and things, etc. I can't deny that the psx doom soundfx are cooler but when I'm playing regular doom on the PC with original sprites and everything, both the classic PC sfx and music fit the game better than the psx stuff does.