Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tereith2050

Custom sprites

So i'm currently playing around with my 1st wad. It's 7 levels long and doing quite good. If i should say so myself. I'm using Zdoom - Doom in doom format. Using Doom builder 2 for the engine.

I'm wondering because. I'm only using Doom2.WAD what happens if i just suddenly started to port over custom stuff?

How do i add in custom enemies? and custom guns?

any tutorials around?

Tereith2050 said:

So i'm currently playing around with my 1st wad. It's 7 levels long and doing quite good. If i should say so myself. I'm using Zdoom - Doom in doom format. Using Doom builder 2 for the engine.

Just to clear up some confusion, Doom Builder 2 is a map editor, not what most people here will think of when you say engine. The engine would rather be the source port you use to play the map. Given your choice of editing configuration, you engine is probably either ZDoom or GZDoom, possibly Zandronum.

To add custom enemies and guns, you'll have to look into ZDoom's content definition language, DECORATE. You'll also need to learn to use a resource editor, since DB2 only handles map editing. I recommend SLADE 3.

Using SLADE3 is super easy and convenient. Knowing what to do when you want to accomplish some particular goal, like properly adding vanilla compatible custom textures or music to your wad, does require a documentation if you don't know what you're doing, indeed - but that has nothing to do with SLADE3's difficulty of usage, but with difficulty of Doom modding in general.

Kids these days... When I was young, I had to use DEUTEX to mod stuff, with text files for only help, in the snow, uphill...

XWE is a good program for adding custom textures, custom sprites, custom sounds, and so on. It's more simple than Slade 3.

Da Eediot said:

XWE is a good program for adding custom textures, custom sprites, custom sounds, and so on. It's more simple than Slade 3.

Maybe. But XWE is not only an outdated utility with no updates, but also an unstable program. I blew some of my wads with no particular reasons with XWE. Slade 3 is more reliable, and more convenient to use, in my opinion.