Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

politics=dumb

RailGunner said:

if you watch the news, youll notice that politics have been acting dumb.
or is it just me?

Both.

politics=dumb

And you're just now noticing this? Time to wake up, buddy.

I just read something about the American government protesting against an episode of Sesame's street in South Africa (no really!).
Since there's a lot of HIV-patients in Africa, the crew of the South-African Sesame's street thought it would be a nice idea to educate young kids about this disease by adding a new character to the show... An HIV infected character.

The American government picked this up, and went bezerk.

Yeah, I heard about that. What's next, Big Bird turns out to be gay?

I thought it was an HIV-infected black character being injected into mainstream Sesame Street.

I think ol' SS has gone downhill since they stopped being about elementary education and started on the path to being "social awareness" propaganda. I think it was around the time Hillary Clinton was on the show. *blech*

Not that I have anything against the Honorable Senator and Future President Clinton, but it started SS on a downward spiral.

DooMBoy said:

Yeah, I heard about that. What's next, Big Bird turns out to be gay?

That was ever in doubt? :P

Oh btw Railgunner, I think you meant politicians, not politics itself as a subject, or heh, maybe I'm doing you an injustice :)

Heh, I think the HIV infected character is a good idea. And it is educational Jack, teaching kids in an Aid's ravaged country about what it is like to have HIV and hopefully teach them not to be as stupid as their parents are regarding unprotected sex.

Aye, I'll agree it's educational, but like I said, it's the difference between elementary education (reading and 'rithmatic, the Sesame Street we all grew up on) and social education (teaching there are people in the world you should worry about, while quietly glossing over the things your parents don't want you to know about).

You don't see them introducing characters from nations the Allies have been bombing the shit out of since Vietnam, nor do you see tham introducing characters of what our government has so pleasantly termed "enemy alien" races. The line between education and hypocricy is thin; just look at public schools (and ain't Sesame Street a sort of Federally-funded offshoot of public ed?)

Also keep in mind, if this new character has AIDS, her tenure on the show is limited to her lifespan. IIRC, once HIV is contracted, ten to fifteen years is all you really have to hope for. I don't think SS has killed off any characters other than Mr. Hooper (RIP). If you think the quiet death is so pussified by parents now (while parents and kids are okay with quick, messy deaths; major hypocrisy there) think of how parent's groups are going to act in ten years or so when Little Miss HIV's number is up.

I don't mean to sound crass and cynical; it's just that overly-activist and unable-to-raise-their-own-kids parent's groups cheese me off no end. [/rant]

It's not your goverment though, it's South America's, who have a problem with aids and HIV and need to deal with it at the root of the problem, which is poor education. About LIFE. Math and writing can go hang. Math and writing won't save lives.

They should invest in educating the bastards that think raping a 6 month old baby is a cure for HIV

Also keep in mind, if this new character has AIDS, her tenure on the show is limited to her lifespan

I thought that this character had HIV, not AIDS. The ridiculous assumption that many people seem to have that all HIV positive people have AIDS is presumably exactly the kind of thing that this new character is going to address.

IMJack said:

If you think the quiet death is so pussified by parents now (while parents and kids are okay with quick, messy deaths; major hypocrisy there) think of how parent's groups are going to act in ten years or so when Little Miss HIV's number is up.[/rant]

Fine, give it 10 years and drop a bus on the bitch. Problem solved.

Or just Oscar, the green bastard that lives in the garbage can whack the HIV girl with his garbage can lid. Of course, it'll have to look like an accident-you can't have murder on Sesame Street :P

Childrens programs have been adressing societal problems for years now. THough it is a bit like pre-maturity brainwashing, certain things are good for children to know early on.

Ugh, don't confuse society's taboos with political correctness, though both are in many ways related by their badness.

There's really nothing wrong with being HIV positive. I mean, there are many places where people lack the education to know bwtter. Take Harlem for example, that place is a ghetto in almost every sense of the word. Kids can't go to school because they'll probably cross drug dealer territory and be shot. And thats one of the may reasons why AIDS is a big problem there.

the_Danarchist said:

Kids can't go to school because they'll probably cross drug dealer territory and be shot. And thats one of the may reasons why AIDS is a big problem there.

Over here we got shooting galleries where you rent needles so you can inject your heroin.

orion said:

Over here we got shooting galleries where you rent needles so you can inject your heroin.

gotta love natural selection.

Little Faith said:

Apparantly the sad old news is that it is still politically incorrect to be HIV positive.

It is medically incorrect though