Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rayziik

5 rejected maps from my current project (-complevel 9)

UPDATE (10/30/16): Have added a 5th map to the wad, yet another map I've removed from my project in order to make room for a better one. This one is basically just a large arena/slaughter-style encounter. It was made at the tail-end of 2013.

So I've been hoarding these away since ~early 2015, and I'm tired of them sitting on my HDD collecting electrons, so, here we are.

5 maps, most likely limit-removing and definitely requiring "-complevel 9" AS WELL AS "cc4-tex.wad" to be loaded alongside it.

Download HERE. (these are sub-par maps, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Get "cc4-tex.wad" from HERE.

Tested exclusively in GLBoom+, but will most likely run in most modern source ports. I'm not really going to update these unless some critical bug is found, so how they look in software rendering, or whether there's any visual errors in software rendering aren't really important for these maps.

These maps are from late 2013 (MAP01) and early/mid 2014 (MAP02, MAP03, MAP04). They don't really live up to the standards (A.K.A. THEY'RE BAD) that I've adopted in regards to maps I want to release as a polished product, and they're already so far along that major modifications of the maps to meet these standards would essentially mean redoing the whole map anyways. However I do plan on using the themes of these maps to some extent in the future.

Screenshots (images linked for 1080p goodness)

These screenshots betray the quality of the maps.

Enjoy!

(these are sub-par maps, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

I didn't believe you until I opened them up in the editor. :D

Map02 could use a tune-up in many spots* but is a pretty cool map, one of the most unique I've played recently. Wouldn't consider that one subpar.

*Good:

-- atmosphere
-- aesthetics
-- initial search for the weapon
-- AV+hitscanner fight
-- random hitscanners hitting you from the distance in the dark was actually pretty frightening instead of annoying as it usually is
-- PE obstacle section
-- themed obstacle segments

Tune-up Spots:

-- OP no-strings-attached megasphere secret that isn't by any means hard to locate
-- execution of some of the obstacles: crusher obstacle feels like a time-waster; that drop-floor segment could use some markers as to where the floor lowers, since it gets annoying after the first time
-- end fight; needs a way stronger warp-in or something, and maybe exit-blocking 'trons instead of the spider

Not Sure:

-- RK hitscanner rapefest, LOL; was glad I had the megasphere for that one

rdwpa said:

Map02 could use a tune-up in many spots* but is a pretty cool map, one of the most unique I've played recently. Wouldn't consider that one subpar.

*Good:

-- atmosphere
-- aesthetics
-- initial search for the weapon
-- AV+hitscanner fight
-- random hitscanners hitting you from the distance in the dark was actually pretty frightening instead of annoying as it usually is
-- PE obstacle section
-- themed obstacle segments

For the most part I was happy with all the ideas and theme of the map, but the main reason it was dropped was because of the layout being pretty flat and mostly linear, as well as overabuse of cut-and-paste details. I definitely considered redoing everything in a more centralized fashion, everything in a sandbox kind of layout of sorts. Glad you at least enjoyed it!

rdwpa said:

Tune-up Spots:

-- OP no-strings-attached megasphere secret that isn't by any means hard to locate
-- execution of some of the obstacles: crusher obstacle feels like a time-waster; that drop-floor segment could use some markers as to where the floor lowers, since it gets annoying after the first time
-- end fight; needs a way stronger warp-in or something, and maybe exit-blocking 'trons instead of the spider

All decent points, and iirc the megasphere secret was hastily implemented because I didn't put a way up to it until the end of the layout design :P . Probably could be better off with access to it later in the map.

rdwpa said:

Not Sure:

-- RK hitscanner rapefest, LOL; was glad I had the megasphere for that one

LOL, sorry about that one. Probably a couple beefy projectile monsters would've been a better option.

These are hardly anything groundbreaking and also basic and somewhat naive/repetitive at times, but they're still fun enough for at least a single playthrough. I wish all "bad" maps would've been like that, heh.

So you're saying these are sub-par up to the point of having no place inside that megawad of yours?.. Well, my interest towards the latter is rapidly reaching its peak if that's the case. Devilspeed.

OP has been updated with another rejected map added to the .wad. Still requires "cc4-tex.wad" to be loaded alongside it.

Cringe at the badness.

I waded through the cringe.
https://www.twitch.tv/mrzzul/v/98526344

But actually some of these could be re-purposed for some simple slaughter maps. As they are they never really put a lot of pressure on me.

Map01:
- block the player off from the exit. could add some switches or something that pop up in previous sections which when pressed opens the exit.
- could leave it the same except change the ending fight. Add like a bfg and more viles/cybs (LOTS more viles) for an awesome invuln orgy. But keep teleporting in monsters so the player has to take out the viles with invuln and then the player still has to deal with cybs and other monsters.

Map04:
- I felt this map needed more wandering cybs. Also the bfg is found way too late. Could have the bfg pickup earlier and then add some wandering cybs. Also I felt like the imps were too easy around the cyb fight. Could add revs.

Map05:
- Just make the final fight pressure the player a lot more. I thought the pinkes were cool because they got pulled to the exterior of the arena from the fireballs of the other monsters. Could add loads more pinkies.

This is what I was thinking anyways during my session. Thanks for making the maps.

Killer5 said:

Map01:

Very good ideas, it also complicates a strategy that relies on running past monsters. A cyberdemon or two could work well.

Map04:

I'm not sure if cybers can roam as freely as they would like, the hallways get cramped up in a lot of spots. I suppose something at the end of the map would work though, letting the BFG actually be useful.

Map05:

I suppose putting a BFG in wouldn't hurt anything, since now there's no point in conforming to the original project's progression scheme. Definitely need to reorganize the monster deployment, and add more. And fix that one cyberdemon LOL.

This is what I was thinking anyways during my session. Thanks for making the maps.

Thanks for playing! I'd like to see you play that other map I sent you via Twitch PMs!