Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sleepii

Will Doom become an annual series?

Now that the thread with the shitloadof info got closed (gone but never forgotten, rest in peppers), I guess nows a good time to see what people think.

Answer the title question, if id as a studio establishes itself with a popular doom game under the umbrella that is zenimax, would zenimax attempt to make doom similar to cod/bf. Although bf wasn't previously a annual series, it's looking like it may be headed in that direction w/ bf:hardline coming out soon after bf4 (which still had bugs in it). Just curious what ppl think..

Seeing how they treat all their other games, no.

Zenimax's devs take their time with stuff and they don't just recycle last year's games. Their QA seems pretty top notch.

Doesn't seem like they're afraid to kill a project and reboot it either if it doesn't meet the expectations of what they feel the fans are going to want. That's a seemingly huge plus.

At best you might see another game in two or three years if this one does well. Or perhaps a Quake continuation / reboot at long last. Wolfenstein is all but confirmed to be getting a follow-up to The New Order, but that was one of the top games of 2014 and got a fairly solid prequel last year so it makes sense.

ALTHOUGH... It'd be a interesting twist if they did a episode per release. Not that it will happen, and not a weekly or monthly episodic release, but rather focus an entire 13+ hour campaign per episode, so this year's episode would be Knee Deep In The Dead, next year's "sequel" would be the Shores Of Hell, and the sequel episode after that the following year would be Inferno, and so on and so forth, each their own independent game leading up to some huge showdown.

Eh... no. Nevermind. That sounds like a terrible idea now that I think about it, and probably better condensed as it is.

Buckshot said:

ALTHOUGH... It'd be a interesting twist if they did a episode per release. Not that it will happen, and not a weekly or monthly episodic release, but rather focus an entire 13+ hour campaign per episode, so this year's episode would be Knee Deep In The Dead, next year's "sequel" would be the Shores Of Hell, and the sequel episode after that the following year would be Inferno, and so on and so forth, each their own independent game leading up to some huge showdown.

Eh... no. Nevermind. That sounds like a terrible idea now that I think about it, and probably better condensed as it is.

We're definitely getting a whole Doom 1 treatment with this first game, from Mars to Hell. Whether they'll ever follow up with a Doom 2 (aside from the fact that the previous game plan was basically Doom 2 without the first game ever happening) is a whole 'nother bag of worms since this is the second continuity reboot in a row and none of the side-stuff, expansions, the Doom RPGs or so forth have gone to Earth since the originals.

I wouldn't think so and I sure hope not. I'm more concerned with what the DLC will consist of. A bigger expansion pack or two down the line would be nice and I wouldn't mind shelling out some cash for that - Resurrection of Evil, The Scorchers and The Old Blood were well worth the price. Map packs for MP would be fine too but they've got to be a hell of a lot more than 4 maps for $15 a piece, especially since the community will probably produce some nice gems with SnapMap. If SnapMap resources cost money that will suck shit, but I'd rather see that than any kind of sneaky, underhanded bullshit like microtransactions.

Is Battlefield annual now? I've heard them mention they wanted to do that, but then they realized Hardline was going to be broken and wisely chose to delay it and I haven't heard anything about Battlefield 5/Bad Company 3 since.

They don't have the budget/dev team size to do annual releases, though if they had the $ and felt that the market were hungry for annual releases, they'd staff up to make it happen. The CoD guys have multiple studios working in parallel to get these titles out at a yearly clip.

If this Doom game sells well, we'll see maybe another one in 2-3 years; if it is an absolute blockbuster then expect Zenimax to try to capitalize on the momentum as much as possible by maybe staffing up a second team within id to make sure the next Doom game arrives fairly quickly.

If it flops, my guess is that id Software will be dissolved/focused solely on engine development and ZeniMax will try to license out the various id IP to developers who want to take a crack at building games around them.

There is a a lot riding on the success of this game for id, IMO, which is why you're seeing guys like Marty Stratton out there trying to drum up as much hype as possible for this game.

CoD is no longer an anual series, its because there are 3 different studios (Sledgehammer, Infinity Ward and Treyarch) each one working on a different CoD project and each studio takes 3+ years to deliver a new one.

Kaskaum said:

CoD is no longer an anual series, its because there are 3 different studios (Sledgehammer, Infinity Ward and Treyarch) each one working on a different CoD project and each studio takes 3+ years to deliver a new one.

just because three different studios are working on their projects with a new 3 year gap involved doesn't mean the series isn't annual
Annual release means 'one game a year', and Call of Duty is still gonna get its one game a year

RikohZX said:

At best you might see another game in two or three years if this one does well. Or perhaps a Quake continuation / reboot at long last. Wolfenstein is all but confirmed to be getting a follow-up to The New Order, but that was one of the top games of 2014 and got a fairly solid prequel last year so it makes sense.

Ohh yea I totally forgot. id has 3 very successful IPs. So yeah probably a new quake in the making within the next few years I suppose.

Plasma Gun said:

They don't have the budget/dev team size to do annual releases, though if they had the $ and felt that the market were hungry for annual releases, they'd staff up to make it happen. The CoD guys have multiple studios working in parallel to get these titles out at a yearly clip.

If this Doom game sells well, we'll see maybe another one in 2-3 years; if it is an absolute blockbuster then expect Zenimax to try to capitalize on the momentum as much as possible by maybe staffing up a second team within id to make sure the next Doom game arrives fairly quickly.

If it flops, my guess is that id Software will be dissolved/focused solely on engine development and ZeniMax will try to license out the various id IP to developers who want to take a crack at building games around them.

There is a a lot riding on the success of this game for id, IMO, which is why you're seeing guys like Marty Stratton out there trying to drum up as much hype as possible for this game.

basically all my thoughts summed up. I did forget that id has doom, quake and wolf. so I suppose if doom's successful, we'll see the followup of the others come in faster... and not take another 12 years like between this doom and the last one. for instance, quake is also starting to see a big gap now. Last quake was in 2008 with Quakelive? although it's consistently been updated and has a community (somewhat), I think that's probably going to be the next game thats gonna get a rework or a new game

The Bethesda E3 conference featured a Quake logo at one point and there's a Steam page alluding to a new Quake - unless someone finds it first I'll post a link to it tomorrow. Personally a return to the first one would be my preference, complete with floaty physics and insane rocket launcher MP madness.

And what is this about only 3 IPs? Is Commander Keen chop liver or does someone else hold the rights to it?

Commander Keen belongs 3D realms, Interceptor(I think).

While everyone longs for some Lovecraftian Quake revival, i'll be hoping i can get another dose of Strogg action, some day, nothing against the first Quake, it's quite an amazing game with an interesting visual style and lore, but i prefer mad biomech aliens.

Johnatone said:

The Bethesda E3 conference featured a Quake logo at one point and there's a Steam page alluding to a new Quake - unless someone finds it first I'll post a link to it tomorrow. Personally a return to the first one would be my preference, complete with floaty physics and insane rocket launcher MP madness.

And what is this about only 3 IPs? Is Commander Keen chop liver or does someone else hold the rights to it?

you imagine seeing commander keen coming back as a triple A title? I don't really...

sleepii said:

you imagine seeing commander keen coming back as a triple A title? I don't really...

Spoiler

i-i can in all total honesty see ck returning as a wind waker type open world sandbox with undertale style storytelling with likeable characters, relatable, eye catching locations, a nice, catchy synthed ost with close to no orchestral hot garbage and really solid gameplay, featuring arena platforming shooter multiplayer in the same vein as splatoon

i mean come on, there are a literal fucktonne of games featuring a cutesy/soft art styles out there nowadays and nearly all of them appeal to a really large audience that more often than not includes players whose age tends to go wayyy above the established, all thanks to its high playability and overall atmosphere, where exactly does commander keen not gather the prerequisites to become one of those

plus it would lend to the controllers way better than a fast paced FPS does on PC for instance heh

YukiHerz said:

Commander Keen belongs 3D realms, Interceptor(I think).

While everyone longs for some Lovecraftian Quake revival, i'll be hoping i can get another dose of Strogg action, some day, nothing against the first Quake, it's quite an amazing game with an interesting visual style and lore, but i prefer mad biomech aliens.

Quake, if milked properly, could basically become ZeniMax's Call of Duty competitor. Military focused SP campaign (though with Quake 2 weapons, Strogg, etc. -- future militar), and highly refined Quake 3-like MP but with rankings/unlocks/etc.

I get the impression that it'll be a while before ZeniMax really figures out what it wants to do with all of these IPs, but there is the potential for real greatness if they can work that out. The $100M or so they paid could look like chump change in comparison to the $$$ they could rake in.

sleepii said:

Commander Keen would make for a great mobile-focused title for the iPad or something, but I don't know how strong the brand is at this point outside of a few hardcore id fans.

Nah. You can be sure that DOOM5 will come out so many years after DOOM4 that it will be another reboot origin story set on Mars.

I would love to see RAGE2 next but that's not gonna happen. The reception of the first one was a nail in its coffin and seeing how much of a shooter Fallout4 is I guess Bethesda wouldn't want another similiar game to overlap with it.

Quake1 style will never return because it's too similiar to DOOM so they'll most likely stick with the utterly boring Strogg universe.

But yeah, if anything, Bethesda is not a company/publisher vomiting sequels annually. So it's not gonna happen.

Touchdown said:

Nah. You can be sure that DOOM5 will come out so many years after DOOM4 that it will be another reboot origin story set on Mars.

I would love to see RAGE2 next but that's not gonna happen. The reception of the first one was a nail in its coffin and seeing how much of a shooter Fallout4 is I guess Bethesda wouldn't want another similiar game to overlap with it.

Quake1 style will never return because it's too similiar to DOOM so they'll most likely stick with the utterly boring Strogg universe.

If anything Strogg are pretty much alien tech versions of the Hell demons. Quake 2 was always like a spiritual successor to Doom, at least in my opinion. Meanwhile with something like Quake 1, or even some of the elements of Quake 3, you could use warpgates and interdimensional tomfoolery to essentially create anything your artistic and coding teams can put to game form to blast your way through.

Lovecraftian horror is quite the thing at the moment (Bloodborne, Darkest Dungeon)...if they remake Quake 1, with a story told in a similar fashion as Bloodborne's (very, very indirectly), and with top-notch asthetics...dark, gritty...oh my...

Are you for real? Doom isn't Call of Duty.

Of course it won't become an annual series.

DooM_RO said:

Ideally, there should be a new one every 5 years.

Cut that back to 3 or 2 and we have a deal.

DooM_RO said:

Ideally, there should be a new one every 5 years.

Every 5 years is far too long to keep the series fresh in people's minds.

It should be a new title every 2 years, ideally.

Ah, that must be why nobody remembered Fallout by the time Fallout 4 came out, of course. Because it had been 5 years since New Vegas.