Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

OfficerPipeBomb said:

Thanks, oh and BTW. Would I have to put this in using Slade or XWE?

Yep. Just copy and paste it in.

I have an idea. If you edit the space sky texture in Slade, you could make it 256x256, copying the patch with a 128 Y offset. Then, it would be impossible in software mode to look high enough to see solid black with no stars. It makes the "skylight" windows in my map look better, and I am sure my map isn't the only one that would benefit.

If you look up in software renderer (at least in ZDoom and PrBoom-plus), sky just tiles vertically - manually extending the sky texture by stacking identical patches above each other isn't needed. On the other hand, in OpenGL renderer (at least in GZDoom and GLBoom-plus), the sky will fade into a solid color if you look up, and increasing the sky's vertical size wouldn't help it. What would help it (at least in GZDoom) would be to define the sky as an skybox.

I have an even better idea. If you include a GLDEFS lump with the following contents, a player in a port that supports it can look straight up and still see stars.

skybox Sky1
{ 
rsky1
rsky1
rsky1
rsky1
rsky1
rsky1
}
You can't do this with just any texture, but being just white dots for stars, this tiles in every possible way. The top and bottom would look really wrong with most textures, and the sides would look like an obvious box with textures not designed to be on a box. I've tried this in Zandronum, and it looks great with this stars texture.

I just realized that this is pretty much what scifista42 already suggested. Scifista42, increasing the sky's vertical size does help somewhat by making the circle with no stars smaller and higher up, but you are right that the skybox makes the solid-color circle go away completely, so it is better. You imply that the skybox doesn't work in GLBoom-Plus, so I guess we need to do both ideas.

Glad to see this isnt just left to die, it's a very promising looking project.
Sadly I am to new to this stuff to offer any significant help.

Feel free to do so, I'll be posting the latest compilation soon which has the finalized weapon and enemy changes. Since no one has offered to take the reigns I will continue to chip away at it

Doomkid said:

Feel free to do so, I'll be posting the latest compilation soon which has the finalized weapon and enemy changes. Since no one has offered to take the reigns I will continue to chip away at it

I don't want to take over another project, but if you need any help getting this project completed I can assist you. What exactly needs to be done?

I have decided to redo my level, I have had tons more time to practice my skills on Doom Builder and have decided to make a different level, showing off my skills at their max.

Hey there people, sorry I've been absent from this thread. Jaws, all the assets are in place and working, but so many of the maps have so many odd little bugs and errors that mess them up in ZDaemon (intended to be ZD compatible) that it's a nightmare trying to find them all. I'll go through and take screenshots of all the spots I can find, compile an info pack about the wad/mappers and send it over to you within the next few days. There are some great map layouts in this beta but even the best ones are riddled with odd bugs.

I've posted about this projects current state on all 3 forums, unless anyone speaks up I assume they're all find with bugfixing and touch-ups as long as the map progression isn't affected. The ZD and Zandronum threads are also linked in the OP. Will post again soon with all current resources, info and screenshots.

Glad to hear that, Doomkid. I'll still hack away at my map15 if it is okay. Satan knows where I got my inspiration back from.

Sorry for the lack of a response, this project is still a thing, development on it is just incredibly slow. There's a lot to be ironed out and I haven't got as much time as I'd like for it, but I assure you the effort put into it will not be wasted.

Huge update! (That's right, it's NOT dead yet!)

DOWNLOAD CURRENT BETA HERE

So, I have a 10 map playable demo here for you all. I've removed a few maps from the previous beta simply due to there either being too many bugs in Odamex/Zdaemon or them just being a bit too plain, even though they are all fun maps. Here's the list of included maps:

Map01 - "Escape!" by Crunchynut44
Map02 - "Scientific Station" by Doomkid
Map03 - "Toxicity Control" by Bootleg Guy
Map04 - "Terra-6 Planetary" Base by Fred512
Map05 - "Wheel in the Sky" by Empyre
Map06 - "We Are Not Alone" by Doomkid
Map07 - "Command Station Zulu" Nevander
Map08 - "Space Waste" by Crunchynut44
Map09 - "Asteroid Refinery" by Angry Saint
Map10 - "The Speed of Skree" by Pinchy

Custom enemies by Obake, Garth Donovan and Doomkid

This should run bug-free in Odamex, Zdaemon, Zandronum and (G)ZDoom. As this is just a beta, please be on the lookout for bugs and errors. Feedback is immensely appreciated.

Download the current beta HERE. Hope you enjoy what's there so far!

Edited by Doomkid

What a surprise! I had almost lost hope to see the completion of this project. Downloading right now - but I don't know when I will have time to play.

In the third map behind the yellow door is a tall lift. The next lift after that appears to be broken, unless there is a way to activate it that I didn't find.

I'll look into that, thanks Empyre.

I should have mentioned earlier - a few music tracks have been changed so that each track is a MIDI for the sake of consistency and compatibility, but if any authors would prefer a different MIDI, just let me know

Nice one Doomkid! Glad to see this up and running again, I was actually replayed my map01 last week and was considering extending the jail sequence, which is something I will still probably do if you're still accepting updates and what not.

Playing the wad now as I don't think I have played some of those maps :)