Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

There used to be some awesome space-themed DM maps that I can't remember the filenames for, but I thought that it was by the person who did The Trooper's Playground, but it wasn't, or at least I don't think it's the TTPDM zip, so then I thought perhaps it was by Justin Fisher, but they don't seem to be in Nemesis either. One had you going through areas that looked like the hangars in star destroyers, really nice. If I can remember them / find them I will, because they looked really, really good and might serve as a good inspiration for some maps here.

Doomkid said:

Added you guys in :) Also just made a few more updates to the sprite resources (just touch ups, nothing too major)

You can use as many Doom2 textures as you want, as well as an additional 5 customs if you choose, just to clarify on that one.

Can I get your starksky texture? Maybe I'm just not seeing it in the resources.

obake said:

My map:
Outdated Outpost

This is version 1. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Fun map, feels like something from S.T.R.A.I.N. or Icarus. I like how cyberdemon fight was focused on infighting, but I think you should lower the blue key platform a bit. I also didn't liked archvile at the end, there is no cover from him and he can probably be easily telefragged.

Empyre and obake, I very much enjoyed each of your maps! I love that grimey, sewer vibe of obake's and the clean and shiny feel of Empyre's. I'm glad to see that the final mapset will have variety like this :)

Obake, there is one small HOM in your map in Zdaemon and Odamex, and one area where there's a syringe (candle) on the floor, where perhaps an orange light (hanging body, twitching) should be instead. Two very minor points, I really enjoyed the map aside from that.

Empyre, your map is gorgeous and quite challenging, however in Odamex (for some reason) none of the doors seem to function. If you want to find out why and fix it you can, or if you want me to look into what's causing it I can do that. Gotta love those little bizarre oddities each port has.

Both maps are excellent quality overall, thanks dudes!

Superluigieth, if you do get time to make a map, I certainly would welcome that.

I'm still working on getting the Keen replacement enemy (wavegunner) in and functional, also working on a pickup for the SSG, however the resource pack is very much whole aside from those little missing pieces, just so everyone is aware.

Keep up the good work!

Fixed. The lines that open and close the windows were interfering with the doors. I fixed it by flagging those line with the passthrough flag. I tested it in Odamex and it works.

Is the map too hard? The gray cybers are hard to see with the gray computers behind them. Maybe I should try replacing them with arachnotrons or mancubuses?

Wheel in the Sky: version 2

I'm working on Map 10 right now, (sample screenshot below) and I will be uploading my rough draft later. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm keen to check out your map, MrEnchanter. Looks good based of the screenshot.

Jon said:

There used to be some awesome space-themed DM maps that I can't remember the filenames for, but I thought that it was by the person who did The Trooper's Playground, but it wasn't, or at least I don't think it's the TTPDM zip, so then I thought perhaps it was by Justin Fisher, but they don't seem to be in Nemesis either. One had you going through areas that looked like the hangars in star destroyers, really nice. If I can remember them / find them I will, because they looked really, really good and might serve as a good inspiration for some maps here.

If you find them, I'd like to see them!

Mr.Enchanter said:

I'm working on Map 10 right now, (sample screenshot below) and I will be uploading my rough draft later. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://s5.postimg.org/tgxiwchbr/Untitled.png

That area in your screenshot would look incredible with the moon textures from Valiant/Lunatic by skillsaw, like mine here below:

I noticed that running through Valiant the other night, seeing as those textures are in the wad(?) as part of your level I'll go ahead and use them. I may revoke the bubbles texture for the bacta tanks in favor of a metal texture but who knows, someone else may have chosen some better ones than I can come up with.

EDIT: Me being dumb and reading the guidelines as 4 not 5 custom textures and flats...

just to be clear, you can use 4 or 5 of your own. In addition to that you can share textures another author is using. I'll edit the OP to make this clear, we'll end up with at least 20-30 custom textures I'm sure. The limit was just there to keep filesize down and compilation easy :)

For some reason my waste disposal facility also has a holodeck, to which has generated some abandoned ruins (this segment is quite short, as to not take away from the spaceship orientation).

Fantastic screenshots, Crunchynut! I really dig what you're putting together so far, can't wait to give it a play.

Superluigieth1 said:

Is this Limit removing?

Use Boom format for your maps for the sake of guaranteed compatibility.

Wow, these maps are really nice. Makes me ashamed of what I've got. Honesly, my map is just a bunch of square rooms at the moment.

Back to the drawing board...

Might as well share the textures I'll be using for my map.

The light fixtures were made by me from scratch. Feel free to use them for any project you want. The metal textures were taken from Push with permission by TerminusEst13.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/65htr6tsu5m9iy4/DRLDISResource.wad?dl=0

Really basic preview of most of them (this is not the actual map I'll be making for this btw).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp3vc6m7xnd7l72/Screenshot_Doom_20160219_213242.png?dl=0

Just posting to say that I'm still working on my level. My main gripe right now is that the textures where clearly not designed with a spacious level in mind.

They title like pure unadulterated garbage. Oh well...
Eventually I'm going to use 3 or 4 textures from cc4.wad. Mainly one of a sludge waterfall that isn't coloured green and then some computer screens.

e:
I'm curious about that new cmd. keen replacement. "Slow Revenant"? hm.... I may decide to withhold the release of my map until doomkid is done with that.

Alrighty, the resource file has been updated yet again! Gave the SSG a pickup sprite, altered the machine gun's to look more like it. Used the old ones for the SSG, more fitting all around.

Got obake's WaveGunner enemy in and functional in odamex, zandronum and zdaemon! Use the keen actor. Sadly, the fireballs don't spread as I originally desired, but it's still the same concept: 2 rev fireballs, and half the speed and twice the HP of the rev. A very formidable foe, appropriate in places you'd use a Baron of Hell in vanilla Doom.

The revenant sprite has also been altered entirely into an 'evil imp'. Don't worry, his fucktionality is 100% the same as always, he just looks/sounds like a tough, fast imp. The fireball is used by both him and the WaveGunner, so it needed to look appripriate for both, and now I believe it does. (A giant undead skeleton running around just seemed particularly out of place, anyway.)

Here's the new resource pack, and soon I'll be compiling the maps we have so far in to it. This "TC" is certainly coming into it's own. http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/dmdnspce.wad

I'm still gonna make the eyeball brain look better, that's to come though. Enjoy!

EDIT: Forgot to make the lost souls die faster, will get done soon.

The new stuff is awesome! :D

It's interesting seeing the WaveGunner using different sounds and with different speed. I especially like the sounds, softer breaths than the other monsters, yet still menacing and definitely alien. Oh, and the attack is perfect, too!

These space babes are definitely more menacing than their zdoom counterparts (of course, they're probably not space babes in this particular wad XD)

The new Revenant is also nifty.

I'm really glad you like it's functionality, obake! I think it's an excellent addition to the family of enemies, we needed a "baron of hell" tier enemy and the wavegunner suits perfectly.

Whoever is making MAP13, could you tell me how you plan to begin the map? I want to make the end of MAP12 (mine) look like the beginning of 13 (ish). I like that effect of continuity.

Progress on my map is going great. I'm about 90% done now. Should have a download tomorrow or even in a couple hours if I keep working on it now.

I noticed in the resource WAD, the pickup sprites don't exactly match. The Chaingun is still the E-11 blaster rifle but the pickup looks like an MP40 and instead it's the pickup for the SSG, which doesn't look like an E-11. On purpose or mistake?

That Keen replacement is quite the bastard... even on Easy settings he packs quite the punch. Using him sparingly (only twice if on Hard on my map).