Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

Alrighty people, just a quick update: Please have any final tweaks/edits/blah submitted by June 30th!

This project has undergone some major improvements over the last few months and I'd really like to have everything finalized and out the door well before Christmas. Send me whatever you've got before 30/6/17 so we can put the bow on this lovely package.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm sorry to put this off, I just wanted to get my chops before I released anything officially. I think I got a good start and strangely enough I started a map with this project in mind last night. I'll have something to show by the end of the week.

I've had this one done for a while, just forgot to upload it. The music is included in the .zip. Don't have access to SLADE right now, so there are GL Nodes causing some bloat. Music is an original composition. Includes some flats from Nick Baker's Useful Flats.

ForeignPlanet.zip

Edited by Mosshopper

I took this opportunity to tweak a few things in Wheel in the Sky.

Changes in wits_v5.wad:

- Added invisibility, railgun (chainsaw), invulnerability, and berserk.
 - Fixed the problem of monsters hearing the player in the next quadrant of the
outer ring before the door is opened.
 - Made the monsters face away from the player where he spawns, changing the
hot start to a warm start.

Thanks for the updates fellas. Will be sending out a new private beta soon.

Just made a little trailer:

Last call! Remember mappers, there's only a few days left to submit updates!

Very nice trailer. I might suggest adding some more suitable border graphics and tile background flat to the HUD.

Sad to see my map removed, though I understand the necessity if it was broken, or did not fit with the flow/theme of the set.

I played through some of the beta. One of the lifts in map 3 seems broken (I don't know if this is because I was playing in zdoom and not zdaemon or odamex, or if it's glitched in all ports). Otherwise the set seems to be on the up and up (though the map "Space Waste" could use a bit more ammo at the start, perhaps a single clip and shell pickup).

Thanks so much for using the Wave Gunner sprites. I'm looking forward to this set!

I'm also working on mine. Sorry it's taking so long. I scrapped quiet a few maps before this one, but it's my number one priority right now.

I've got way too much stuff happening IRL that doesn't afford me time to work on my map lately. I don't want to hinder the completion of this, so I'm going to have to back out for the sake of the movement. I'll continue to work on my map as I find time, but I'll probably have to release it as an unofficial lost level or something. I apologize if I've retarded progress. G'day.

Time for a new beta! Doomed in Space is almost complete, but I need the help of the community!

The latest beta is compatible with (G)ZDoom, Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex. The DIS team has worked hard to put this together. I'd like to hear comments and feedback - What areas are too hard, what areas are too easy, looking around for HOMs, glitches, etc. Let us know what you like and don't like. I want to shape this to perfection!

---

The finalized maplist:

Map01: Escape! by Crunchynut44

Map02: Shuttle Maintenance by Doomkid

Map03: Toxicity Control by Bootleg Guy

Map04: Foreign Planet by Mosshopper

Map05: Wheel in the Sky by Empyre

Map06: Terra-6 Planetary Base by Fred512

Map07: Deep Space Installation by Doomkid

Map08: Interstellar Depot by Doomkid

Map09: Command Station Zulu by Nevander

Map10: Asteroid Refinery by Angry Saint

Map11: Space Waste by Crunchynut44

Map12: The Speed of Skree by Pinchy

---

The story so far...

You take the role of a loose-cannon bounty hunter out for your own good. As a child, the UAC captured you and did ran various genetic experiments using you as one of their test subjects. You became stronger and faster than any normal human child, but most of the others they captured weren't so lucky. Using your newfound strength, you broke free and escaped their facility. These days you're seen as a wanted convict and must fight and steal to make your way through life. A UAC patrol squad managed to shoot down your stolen shuttlecraft and take you into custody. It's time to make your escape and get some revenge along the way!

Please note, a few maps have been slightly altered to allow for interconnect exits and entrances. This was done to improve immersion and flow when playing through the mapset.

Enjoy, and remember, ALL feedback helps to get this thing closer to completion!

Edited by Doomkid

Been a while since I've put on the beta-testing hat, sure I'm game to put this through the wringer.  Quick impressions of the first map; health seems tight early on given the abundance of hitscanners and absence of infighting.  Though it could be that I approached the open area completely wrong on my blind play.  I got a kick out of all those sound clips from Star Wars Doom.  Altered messages are also fun.  Will have more to say when I've spent more than 20 minutes on a map and not using -resurrect as a crutch to brute force things.

Been playing this for the last couple of weeks and only just learned that even unberserk melee is decently powerful.  Stronger than vanilla for sure, good enough to take out lone weaklings with minimal risk.  (though I found there's enough ammo to not resort to melee other than 2 maps, one which provides berserk early so I didn't notice the non-berserk upgrade until now).

Been having fun with this set.  Sometimes I would fire up a map and leave my beta-testing hat off.

Some funny moments from playtesting that are outside the scope of the reports I've typed up

- "Stop reviving the hectubus... (death)  I hate you so much."

- A certain reference in map 6, if one can find it

- In general, taking potshots at groups of enemies that can't reach me with area-effect weaponry

- Map 9: Running past a switch out the open at least 8 times before I noticed it.  It's not required for progression; was a moment when I noticed it.

- Map 11: "FOUR Archviles?!  Are you *%#@n' serious?"

- Map 11: All those ammo drops... too high to reach  This is the map I resorted to punching to make my ammo supply last until the end.

- Map 12: Speed of Skree  First thing I think of it Metroid games.  I suppose all the teleport ambushes are the closest thing the engine has to being divebombed by suicidal fliers.  The last enemy guarding the exit seems quite fitting from this perspective.

Edited by Crusader No Regret

Just want to say, the quality of this wad overall is going to be substantially higher thanks to Crusader No Regret's detailed feedback! So many issues and other things I didn't notice before are going to be completely ironed out. You've truly been a massive help to this wad so far.

Here are my notes, using the same format as Jimmy created for his notes sheet for Joy of Mapping 4. I hope my criticisms are not too harsh. I truly did enjoy this wad, but there is room to improve, too.

Spoiler

Map01: Escape! by Crunchynut44

Positives:

-Feels more like a starting map than the last version. Detailing is ample, yet non-intrusive.

-I especially like the middle, outside area, which feels much more fair this time. (No chaingunning hitscanners out in the open here!)

Complaints:

-The long hallway with the lift (after the first room) feels unnecessary.

Bugs: None found.

Intermission Text:

Nice background and font! Cool that more of a story is being told. I'm not a fan of the swearing, but I know not everyone feels the same way I do.

Map02: Shuttle Maintenance by Doomkid

Positives:

-Love the trippy hallway before the ending, plus the thematic exit being the use of a shuttle. -Gameplay is fine for the most part, though it does perhaps feel a little too mean for the second map. Not much, just a tad. Perhaps replace a few of the chaingunner replacements with the zombie guys?

Complaints:

-My complaints here are not as much about the map as about the wad itself. The new monsters are awesome, but I feel there is not enough variation. The closest to any sort of melee only monsters are the flame thrower guys, but even they have quite a bit of range. Another problem is that attack patterns feel so similar.

Bugs: None found

Map03: Toxicity Control by Bootleg Guy

Positives:

-Looks better than the last version, with nice use of blue tech hallways.

-The area lit with the Hectebus against the sky backdrop looks really cool.

Complaints:

-Gameplay is unfortunately the map's weak point. It is very, very linear, which is not a problem on its own. But in this map's case, the battles are not that interesting. It also feels like the map introduces too many new monsters. The blue key room reintroduces the Baron variation seen in a cage in map 2, which is cool. But it also has a red variation of the same monster, and introduces the Wave Gunner later. Having all these new high-tier monsters in map 03 feels like the wad is playing its hand too early. I think having one or two of the green Baron variations in the Blue Key room would have been sufficient, and perhaps replacing the ones at the end with more Imps. With all this said, the map still plays fine, with nothing cheap or agonizing.

Map04: Foreign Planet by Mosshopper

Positives:

-A very fun venture. Gameplay is open ended and feels diversified, with the right amount of monsters and good placement for each of them. I like that the outside is dark and brooding, yet not so dark that you cannot navigate. Contrast that to the well lit interiors of the buildings, and the map gives off an atmosphere of wanting to stay indoors, despite buildings housing more danger.

Complaints:

-Not much. The beginning room is a little iffy to navigate, but not terrible.

Map05: Wheel in the Sky by Empyre

Positives:

-Another neat map. Does not seem too different than previous versions, besides the changes to certain monsters. The inner room is especially fun to run around in.

Complaints:

-Seems like monsters are boxed into certain rooms when it would be fun for them to go in and out.

Map06: Terra-6 Planetary Base by Fred512

Positives:

-Despite the last map's abundance of monsters, Terra-6 really shows its teeth. It starts simple enough, but as the map progresses, encounters become more and more intense. The best (and most challenging) is after hitting the switch that raises the bridge. The two Archviles really make a show, especially with the imps in front.

-I also like minute details, like mini computer monitors, fallen ships, and the pool table. The beds are fairly boxy, but that's fine.

-The (SPOILER!) anime girl secret caught me off guard. At first I thought the elevator to the area was bugged, but it turns out your supposed to go back. How very odd.

Complaints:

-This is nothing big, but the blue key is in a blue room, making it not stand out. This might be intentional, but if not, then perhaps switch the blue key and door to another color?

-The map's flow is sometimes hit and miss. Backtracking is not always bad, but it may be something to look into here.

-The blue key encounter could also be spiced up. Perhaps add a Lost Soul or two?

Map07: Deep Space Installation by Doomkid

Positives:

-Incredibly difficult beginning. There is an ominous atmosphere set up with the darkened sky and more strategically placed monsters. Now's where the player is invading their turf, it feels.

-I like that in this case, the enemy variety is minimal. Each monster is given a specific purpose, such as the Plasma Marines atop the towers acting as sentry turrets. Brain Orbs and Psycho Imps roam freely around, keeping the player on constant watch. Sometimes I feel the monster placement is too much, though, like the ledge with the Plasma Marines and Hectebus.

Complaints:

-I feel more health could be added, perhaps a single medikit.

-Also, even with the EXIT sign, the ending still seems abrupt. Perhaps make the exit room more ominously lit, flickering in dark and light?

Map08: Interstellar Depot by Doomkid

Positives:

-The layout of this map is wonderful. I love how interconnected it is, and all the little details put in, like the “u” shaped command modules, the 3d bridge overhead the starting area. It feels like a real place. I even like that there is an enemy spot inside one of the vents with the fans.

Complaints:

-Gameplay is where the map does poorly. Most enemies being either high-tier or hitscanners is not exactly fun in the situations given here, especially when a lot of rooms are cramped. This is a case where Demon type enemies would make things more fun. For example, the small hallway with the green nukage, and all of the boxes: a few melee-only type monsters could possibly tank hits from projectiles, protecting a cautious player. As it is here, everything piles onto the player with no means of escape.

There are a few standout moments, such as the line of enemies that appear after the player ascends stairs, that calls specifically (and awesomely) for the Railgun. But honestly most of the fights are just bleh.

Map09: Command Station Zulu by Nevander

Positives:

-A major step down in difficulty compared to the last map, which is good in this case. Last map took a lot out of me. Command Station Zulu is essentially the same as its previous version, as far as I can tell. The player navigates a tech base with a sort of circular design. It is neither very large or imposing, and any confusion as to progression is quickly stanched as there are not many places to go.

-I like the combat here. Its nothing incredible, but the enemies are placed well. After the last map, it is refreshing to have something a little more simplistic.

Complaints:

-There could, however, be a teleport trap with one of the keys to make things a little spicier.

Map10: Asteroid Refinery by Angry Saint

Positives:

-Another fun romp. This base also has a circular feel, with windows peering into various rooms, lots of cubbies for monsters to hide in, etc. The beginning is great fun, and takes some strategy, as the majority of monsters here are hitscanners. Despite the difficulty, it is still feasible, and does not drag out. I think it works better in this case than in map 8 because of the non-linearity.

-I like the detailed outside area, and the signs of decay going on around some of the base's floors. Really gives it a rundown atmosphere. Also, nice chipper music.

Complaints:

-Not much. It could perhaps use some more interesting lighting. Perhaps darken a few areas?

Map11: Space Waste by Crunchynut44

Positives:

-The first 2/3s of the map are quite fun. I like the amount of variety, with toxic pools, box rooms, and nifty space hallways. The battles are difficult, with ammo being a commodity. Though with perseverance, it can be accomplished.

Complaints:

-Then there's the room after the yellow door. My golly is this a frustrating disappointment. Even with scarce ammo, areas before were doable, because ammunition could be found with a little careful excavation. The end area, on the other hand, has a barrage of the most difficult (and ammo-consuming) enemies on the roster, with nowhere near enough pickups to deal with them. Even getting the Hectebus behind the yellow door is a pain, as you either have to fight it without moving back (doing so automatically shuts the door), or run past it, which 50% of the time gets you roasted.

The other enemies are no different in creating pain. Even if you run past them, you still have to hit the switch that lowers the blue key, which then releases a boatload of Brain Orbs. Even if you miraculously make it into the exit room, you are instantly dead, as two Hectebuses are blocking the hallway. I am not exaggerating when I say this area is practically impossible unless you take it super, super slow. I had to lead the first Hectebus and the Wavegunner out of the room into the previous area just to get a little breathing space.

I have nothing against extreme difficulty, but this is unfeasible, given the lack of ammo. The enemies of this mod are simply too powerful and aggressive to be able to run past in this great a number.

-I tried everything to get up the boxes that lead to the Railgun, yet am not sure if it is possible.

Map12: The Speed of Skree by Pinchy

Positives:

-Pinchy is the perfect choice for creating a penultimate map. The Speed of Skree is giant, complex, and tough as nails. The map is divided into three floors, each shaped like a beetle. Though one would only guess that by looking at the automap, as the shape of the rooms feel natural for what they are: a massive starship whirring through space.

The map has flavor galore. The ship is alive in detail, yet is surprisingly easy to navigate. When I said it was complex, I meant solely in combat. This is where the map both shines and fails. Enemies abound in every room, around every corner, nook and cranny. Teleport traps are common. Clearing areas successfully makes one feel proud. But it is does act as a double edged sword, too, as the types of encounters, given their incredible difficulty, can wear down one's sense of fun.

The final battle is the prime example of this. It is probably the most chaotic and fun battle of the entire map, yet by the time the Mastermind was woken, I had already grown bored. This is not Pinchy's fault, really, but more a side effect of the wad not having infighting. With infighting, monsters would clear each other out and make killing all of them take a little less time, though it would still be incredibly tough. As is, the battle drags on with the player shooting mostly rockets, running around, shooting rockets, etc, at seemingly endless enemies. The setup of monsters is not bad at all, and I am not saying infighting should necessarily be added to the wad. But some things definitely need changing if large battles like this are to remain exciting.

But I'm not here to harp on the wad. Pinchy (and everyone else who has worked on this, Doomkid especially, have given so much time and energy into this project. This map alone is incredible in size and scope, not to mention the carefully planned array of traps and monsters. My goal is for my ideas to be pondered, and perhaps experimented with, not to tear down anyone's work.

Complaints:

-Sometimes detailing gets intrusive. Case in point, the area with the reeds sticking out of water, leading into a small hallway with a sort of station in the middle, with windows one can peek through. The area after the reeds has portions that block the player getting on them, which is frustrating because it looks like you should be able to step on them.

So there are my thoughts on the maps! Despite my gripes, I ultimately had great fun. Thank you all for letting me playtest. Now for a few (random) thoughts:

-Lost Souls could have their old melee charge and a projectile attack. What if they shot projectiles when a player was further than, say, 300 units from them? But when the player is within 300 units, the Lost Soul suddenly charges at them relentlessly? I believe this would set them apart from other monsters, and make players consider staying far away or getting closer to them based upon circumstances.

-It could also be interesting if the Lost Souls shot two electric charges the way Mancubuses shoot their third volley of fireballs: one to the left and the other to the right, with nothing down the middle. This would make it so the player would be in no danger of the Soul's shots if they stayed still. But if the player was moving, the Lost Soul would suddenly be much more of a nuisance.

-Of the new monsters, I actually find the Hectebus the most difficult to deal with. They are rather in intimidating in appearance, to start, and each of their individual shots seem to split into small pieces. They are wickedly cool.

-Back to Lost Souls, perhaps a mechanical Pain Elemental variation? That would be unique.

-The Slyor's could perhaps use a different type of projectile. Perhaps a small rocket with splash damage? Nothing compared to the Cyber's, of course, but still a threat. WaveGunners (and the red variation of the Slyors) could also have obituary messages implemented.

Those are just a few. Have a great day, and God bless!

Thanks so much for all the detailed feedback, Obake - it's really helpful and nice to have another perspective on the mapset, between this and Crusader no Regret's feedback the mapset is going to feel much more refined. You both found lots of stuff that slipped past me and really expanded on what can be improved. New build in the next few weeks, thanks again!

Just plopping a new build here! https://doomshack.org/uploads/dspace_beta100.wad

Changelog to be uploaded very soon. There's only a tiny bit left to do, namely cooperative testing and very, very fine details. Difficulty settings have been thoroughly implemented and revised making this possible to beat for the average Doomer (the last build was quite insane).

Hope you all enjoy, and PLEASE let me know what you think! We're almost there, I can taste it!

I'm not really that good at feedback as far as gameplay goes because I like a wide variety of level types, and am kind of a pansy as I don't like to step on anyone's creative toes. I do like to look for bugs though! So would youtube videos with (most likely) not much text posted in here help in any way or would it just be annoying?

hey, stop 'im

First 3 maps. Small part of 4 before saying fudge it for now. Yeah, so didn't find any bugs. Probably not an overly helpful video but hey, we do what we can here at ye olde Doomworld, yeah?

Honestly, playthroughs like this are great - lets me see first hand where people encounter problems, confusion, unfair odds etc. Much appreciated!

Hope to see a few others popping up demos/recordings as well for this reason.

Hmm, the flamethrower guy is problematic. If there is some distance between me and him, he just keeps shooting even though the fire doesn't reach me. It looks really silly. And the fire sprite is too exaggerated I think.