Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

Alright, that worked.

OTHER NOTE: My internet is supposed to be going out soon, so you may not hear updates from me for a while. I'm downloading pages from the ZDoom wiki to help me finish my April Fools project, and then I can get back on this.

everennui said:

Another progress report. https://youtu.be/ZDu1CO4mAwI

Looks much better than what I played of it in the demo, and the outside area looks much more fleshed out with plenty of height variety which is good. Though I agree with the youtube comment that there is next to no texture variety, having more will add a lot of character to the map. also those tiny buttons look really tedious to push, (I didn't even realize they were buttons when I played it).

Anyway looking forward to playing the finished version, good job!

OfficerPipeBomb said:

New screenshots for my WIP Map 19, I would like some opinions, I fixed some issues with enemies shooting through walls, misplaced or textures that are not lower unpegged. Hope these screenshots are found somewhat decent by Doomkid and other mappers. http://imgur.com/a/9gxkt

Looking much better than before, my main complaint would be that doors have no recess, and it looks bad when the door textures are flush with the adjacent walls. Otherwise keep going man!

Hey fellas, really happy to see continual improvements as well as plenty of chatter - You're all shaping things up nicely. Will post a new compilation soon!

Alrighty, got a few screenshots of little oddities I noticed, and a new beta build as well. Other than these tiny issues, everything is coming together really well, as usual. Just a few little HOMs and oddly placed things:

I could walk through the gate here, and had to jump to get off the bridge. (I know all these maps are WIP, just want to point this stuff out in case it's missed.)

Step texture seems to be missing

Another little HOM

One of the flashing orange lights would probably be better there than the syringe

Sector seems to be open/bleeding but very minor issue and easy fix.

Nothing here is major at all and I really love the new designs you guys have shown!

What port are you using to play the maps? A lot of those issues look like they come from a different rendering style. I haven't tested the maps in ZDoom but some of them probably don't happen in there, but I may be wrong. Also, lol at the tutti-frutti on the last screenshot.

BLEH forgot to upload the new build (d'oh)

Here it is! http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/2dmspace.zip

Plenty more changes in the pipeline, of course.

Nevander said:

What port are you using to play the maps? A lot of those issues look like they come from a different rendering style. I haven't tested the maps in ZDoom but some of them probably don't happen in there, but I may be wrong. Also, lol at the tutti-frutti on the last screenshot.

Odamex is what I'm using to test as it's the lowest common denominator regarding mapping features and such - It retains a few vanilla-isms that ZDoom fixes up, but it's usually only a quick fix to get things looking right.

Skimped over this real quick and found these two errors on this map.

Im liking what we have so far, all the maps are a lot of fun to play! Also I really like the new door opening sound.

Quick question, both mine and Joes map use the same MIDI, was that intentional? :D

Just a placeholder for the moment :) Joe, if you want to find a "spacey" tune for your map, by all means do, otherwise I'm sure I can find something.

Doomkid said:

Just a placeholder for the moment :) Joe, if you want to find a "spacey" tune for your map, by all means do, otherwise I'm sure I can find something.

Well I was going to say that it suits his map quite well, so I might even write another for my map :D

That would be awesome, your original tune for Space Waste was superb. It reminds me a lot of Donkey Kong Country, actually, and that is certainly a compliment.

Doomkid said:

That would be awesome, your original tune for Space Waste was superb. It reminds me a lot of Donkey Kong Country, actually, and that is certainly a compliment.

Thanks man i'm glad you liked it! Agreed, the DKC soundtrack is phenomenal (Aquatic Ambiance is bliss).

Cool, I will wait for Joe to confirm (he may not even want it) and ill get to work :D

Quick question, are we allowed a splash screen after our levels? I figure, if everyone had one, it would break the flow too much, though, so I understand if not. I don't have art planned for it, just text and music. If you're cool with it, I'll let you review it, make sure you're okay with how I'm going about with the character.

OPINIONS? In my map there are three "space hubs" to access them you must go "outside." Currently, I am using a radiation suit as a space suit. Is that lame? Does that work? At this point changing them back is doable, but tedious. I don't want to keep splitting sectors if it's not cool. What do you guys think.

There are a lot of maps featuring outdoor areas where you don't need suits, so I think it might confuse players if textures other than nukage/lava/burning rocks cause pain. The map is shaping up quite well though, I like this little silver bases built into the walls of the canyon. It reminds me of a map I really enjoyed in Goldeneye, for whatever reason.

Doomkid said:

There are a lot of maps featuring outdoor areas where you don't need suits, so I think it might confuse players if textures other than nukage/lava/burning rocks cause pain. The map is shaping up quite well though, I like this little silver bases built into the walls of the canyon. It reminds me of a map I really enjoyed in Goldeneye, for whatever reason.

They are now just regular rocks. Thanks. Good points.

Oh yeah - I intend to make a little story to go along with this set, there will be text after each map against a space background that might change over the course of the set.

Alright, when I share my map, I'll pitch you what I'm thinking for my map in my PM, and I'll include a midi for the screen (If I can find what I'm looking for) in my resource PK3.

Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial for Slade? I've looked around and the ones I find all use FF instead of PP or talk about replacing images or are just confusing. I'll make a tutorial video if I can figure this out. Is it necessary to add script/text to new textures? I thought it was supposed to be pretty much drag and drop. Maybe the tutorials are dated or something or I just don't do well with comprehension. Please and a big THANKS!

Your post gives me an impression that you not only want to learn using SLADE3 as the editor, but you want to achieve particular goals related to Doom editing that you want to make actually work ingame. See this page (particularly "WAD editing" section) to learn the Doom editing principles first, then learn how to navigate around SLADE3 and do basic things like creating / deleting / selecting lumps and browsing menus / context menus to see which actions are available, and then combine the 2 knowledges to do whatever you need.

scifista42 said:

Your post gives me an impression that you not only want to learn using SLADE3 as the editor, but you want to achieve particular goals related to Doom editing that you want to make actually work ingame. See this page (particularly "WAD editing" section) to learn the Doom editing principles first, then learn how to navigate around SLADE3 and do basic things like creating / deleting / selecting lumps and browsing menus / context menus to see which actions are available, and then combine the 2 knowledges to do whatever you need.

Let's just say my post was a little misleading. I've never actually looked at the editor in Slade3. I just used it once with marginal success adding a few flats and texture. I was hoping that there was something I could learn from. Like a tutorial. I will look at that link you provided.

What is your builder of choice?

Sorry about this, Doomkid, but I'm gonna have to drop out, at least for now. Haven't felt all that "creative" the last couple weeks and I've got a bunch of other stuff to work on (RL things included).

everennui said:

What is your builder of choice?

For wad content editing? SLADE3 of course, it's the only good modern wad content editor. I also have a feeling that you've missed my point, judging by your reply.

AD_79 said:

Sorry about this, Doomkid, but I'm gonna have to drop out, at least for now. Haven't felt all that "creative" the last couple weeks and I've got a bunch of other stuff to work on (RL things included).

That's okay, AD!

I've put a new MIDI and I've made the sky hellish (I'll upload the wad tommorow, Mediafire doesn't work now)

The map's name will be "Hellish planet" Because it's in a planet half-hell half-earth.

Crunchynut44 said:

Joe it's meant to be set in space.

He could probably just change the sky and a good amount of the texturing and it would work somewhere in the mapset.