Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

big downloads for 56k or less

How do you pass the time?

I usually read some of the stories in the Fan Fiction Forum.
I've nearly finished dsm's "evil unleashed"

how about you?

I typically have Kazaa, WinMX, Gnucleus and/or eDonkey2000 running in the background downloading huge files. With all the disconnections/reconnections it takes a few days to get the file but it's usually worth it. I typically just go about my normal business, IRC, UT, working, etc.

Then again I'm on a DSL so it doesn't much matter what I say.

Big average downloads take over 8 hours for me so I could be doing anything but probably the majority of times I'm designing some sort of website or on a board.

When not on here, I'm usually hax0ring around in Doom or Doom2.wad using DeePSea, puttering about the house, or playing a game of ZDoom.

I use my PS2 and play gta3 while waiting. that's about the only game i can play for more than 45 minutes on that console.

The biggest downloads I ever downloaded on this 56k were both somewhere in the 400's. Now, 56k's are too slow to do 2 things at once, so you couldn't load up IE and load, let's say, doomworld.com/vb in a reasnable time. However chat clients like irc and trillian in general work just fine, so spend a few hours there, turn the tv on if things start to get boring. However now I got deeply involved in Fallout 2 and it seems to be the only game I can play for 12 hours without stopping for normal life functions like pissing and eating. So yeah, play games, watch tv, but, don't leave the room, you don't want to see what's going outside of it. I made that mistake and was traumatized for a few days.

Assmaster said:

watch episodes of Invader Zim

WORD

Of course, thats what I'm usualy downloading anyway, so...

When I had a 56k, I'd rarely tempt large downloads because anything over 10mb usualy would end in an irreverable disconnect. The biggest thing I ever downloaded was probably the Quake 2 demo, which I had go over night. I also got a cool program in the last few months before cable called Net Vampire which helped the diconnect problems. Nowadays, its all fire-and-forget with Kazaa-lite.

Largest thing I ever downloaded was a copy of The Sixth Sense which was over 500 megs. Tok about 48 hours total.

Once, I d/led a 66 megabyte SP mod (Chemical Existence) for Half-Life on a 33.6 modem, thankfully I'm no longer on that.

I found a place where I can download Invader Zim episodes at 60-100 kb/s. I am sooo happy.