Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Decay

2 maps - Decay's "Fusion" Maps

Hi all

Once upon a time, a man named Grymmoire started a project called Fusion Mapping in 2010. It flopped and went nowhere. In 2011 I suggested he pick it up again, and thus it was that we made more maps. However, in his infinite wisdom, Grymmoire decided to vanish for a year and halt all progress, which would never resume, nor be collected properly, nor compiled properly so nobody could pick up the fallen pieces and all motivation was lost. To this day we wait for Gry to finish detailing 1 hallway and 1 room to finish the project, but alas we have waited 3 years and nothing has happened.

Thus I managed to get my hands on my maps, which were incomplete versions because the complete versions were lost, but I made some quick touch ups. These are my first ever completed single-player maps, and my last, as I never found my maps to be too inspiring, especially after playing some mapsets released here, but I'd like to get some proper feedback that was never received. Maybe I'll pick up sp mapping again, but I'd like to know at least what I did right, alright, or wrong.

These maps require zandronum, zdoom, or gzdoom to run. Recommend pistol start on UV, mapslots are fm01 and fm02. Midi is custom made by Jimmy, much thanks. I don't intend on releasing these in a final form; grymmoire insists he will finish. In saying this, there seems to be no credit file in sight, for which I deeply apologize because I am normally very good with keeping credits and hereby ban Grymmoire from compiling any more wads, so I threw a small little one in there anyway. At the least I believe the monster sprites were edited by Neural Stunner, there are some redone wolfenstein textures by DrDoctor, no doubt there are Cage and Nick Baker textures in this pk3, and of course id software.

The goal of these maps were to "fuse" together the themes/enemies/areas of the following:

E4M1 and Map32 = FM01: Grosse Beneath
E4M2 and Map28 = FM02: Perfect World

Download:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9y4ol8

mandatory purposely ugly screenshots:

Good work finishing (it took a bit of motivation I see!). FM01 isn't so bad of a map. FM02 used to have that stupid swimmable blood but it's all good now. Now Grymmoire needs to finish his share of the maps.

The idea is cool here, I've liked the idea of sorta fusing maps ever since the Switcheroom project. Good execution to boot!

Thanks guys. Any specific comments though?

In retrospect maybe I should've put more appealing screenshots rather than the troll shots I opted for:

Grosse Beneath

Perfect World

The good about these maps were obviously aesthetics, architecture, gameplay balance and music. Usage of custom monsters was OK. The bad was the possibility to handle pretty much all fights by camping, and easily skip/avoid many fights by running around/away from the monsters, notably after getting the yellow key in the 2nd map. Also that dynamically spawned monsters all seemed to be directed towards west east, instead of towards a direction where they might expect the player, which could have been fixed by spawning them via an action function/special that makes them face the respective mapspot's direction, or setting their angles manually when calling the action function/special itself.

Setting end level to be triggered by actor hitting floor doesn't work great with cacodemons near that floor.

@scifista

Great, thanks. This is what I was looking for, regarding the monster stuff. Sometimes the facing away was intentional, like using the 2 spectres to block the exit of the blue key room in map01. I figured activating them would more likely cause them to leave the exit open as opposed to be fat blocks to hinder the player from leaving.

@archi
Yep this didn't even occur to me, thanks for pointing it out!

I posted a "hey guise I never made a map before, better join a megawad project" in the thread on Zdoom years ago for this.

E1M6 vs MAP25 (unfinished, play if you want or don't)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39292814/bloodprocessing.wad

I didn't finish it. Maybe 25 to 30% of layout finished, even less than that gameplay and detailing. No difficulties

It's all vanilla textures and resources, but Zdoom/Gzdoom/Zandro compatible only for no good reason. Layout perhaps too copy-paste and not enough creative expansion. Also somehow easier than either e1m6 or map25.

Midi by me.

Doomkid said:

Hey Shades, there's a chance you could be thinking of Switcheroom which used a similar concept.

nope I distinctly remember his map, he definitely contributed to this.

@shadesmaster there is an alpha compilation with 11 maps in it, grymmoire says he is going to post that, I'm pretty sure your map is in there.

Decay brought this thread to my attention so I thought I'd clear up some stuff.

So yeah I did drop the ball with this project. Life got in the way and I got thrown into a hectic couple years. I didn't have the motivation to finish this project alongside other things that were going on.

I'll post an updated alpha sometime soon that has a couple updated maps (though they're not finished but whatever better to get them out there) and then not touch anything for another couple weeks because some extra work came up that I have to deal with. Perhaps afterward, I'll bite the bullet and finish up my last maps, get stuff polished, and make a real release.

I think FM02 was ShadesMaster's map. Can't recall if more than one was submitted, but FM02 was one that got accepted.