Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tereith2050

Monster appear on key pickup

So i'm wondering. I'm trying to make it so that if you pickup a key a monster will spawn. How do you manage to do that? if even possible?

I'm using Zdoom - Doom in doom format

If you're not willing/able to use ACS I suppose you could do it in the traditional way, which is to say having a monster in a room outside of the play area with a scrolling floor and a closed door in front of a teleport linedef. Drop a teleport destination thing near the key where you want the monster to land, then outline the key with an open door linedef tagged to the door in the monster holding pen.

The door opens, the monster teleports to the spot near the key and poof you have a simple ambush that's vanilla compatible. If scrolling floors aren't available, just make the room small and make a 1x1 pixel wide 'pipe' to some area where the player is likely to traverse so the monster will be awoken, then when the door in his pen opens the AI's wandering will have him lumber into the teleport.

Hope this is useful. :)

Don't use the "pipe" method -- it's not 1995 anymore.

The correct way to wake monsters up by sound is to build their sector outside of the map, select a sector where you know the player has fired a shot and then the monster's "closet" sector, and then join them (in Doom Builder, just hit the "j" key). Sectors don't need to be contiguous.

(Also, don't use the scrolling floor method, since it doesn't behave the same in every sourceport -- in some sourceports, monsters ignore conveyors under certain conditions. Plus, it's not "vanilla compatible" as Silverwolf claims, since vanilla doesn't have scrolling floors.)

There's tons of drawbacks to the conveyor method. Another is that if the player decides to be a smart-ass and block the teleport dest, the monster won't get a second shot to teleport unless you do really overly-complex stuff with silent teleporters to make the conveyor into an infinite loop; a problem you won't face if you just do it the "classic" way and put WR teleport lines facing each way (in which case the monster will just teleport as soon as the destination is clear).

Tereith2050 said:

I'm using Zdoom - Doom in doom format

Tereith2050 said:

What's an ACS? and thanks :)

You'll find yourself frequently asking this if you don't change your map format. ZDoom in Doom is an otherwise deprecated configuration with a rather limited feature set. If you want to make ZDoom specific maps, use Hexen or UDMF (which support ACS). If you're not interested in ZDoom, don't use the ZDoom specific configuration.

Yeah what Edward said.

UDMF has the most options available, more than you would ever likely use. The downside is the limited amount of play testers for your map. Many people like more classic style Doom and sourceports so expect your project to feel more personal.

I know in UDMF format, when you select the key you add an action in action specials that could range in many actions upon pickup. So you could make a secret closet room behind the key, when the player picks it up you can have its action special set to door open or ceiling raise so the player gets ambushed.

Alternatively you can have (again in UDMF format, not the one you're using) the key's action special set to 80 (Script Execute) and a script will activate upon pickup. The Script will look something like that:

#include "zcommon.acs"

Script 1 (Void)

{
Door_Open (1, 32); //In brackets it's Tagged Door or Wall and the speed it will open
}