Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Judging Doom 2016 by the cover

I have been watching Yahtzee since forever, but I never liked his "judging by the cover" which is probably forced upon him by his Escapist overlords.

I laughed. He's obviously not even being serious about most of these things, while also pointing out exactly why it's kinda generic.

You've always got to take Yahtzee with a pinch of salt. Pretty much his whole thing is exaggeration for comic effect. Like the Jeremy Clarkson of video games.

I don't like Yahtzee reviews but I confess I laughted in both "Judging by the cover" posted in thes thread. xD

Well...another douche british youtuber trying to be funny. I still remember TotalBiscuit crediting Sargeant Mark IV for ALL the content of Brutal Doom, actually a lot of stuff is work of another people. Thankfully he added proper credits in V20 and V20b.

The thing is, though, Yahtzee's putting on a show in all of these and the Zero Punctuation videos. If you watched his Let's Drown Out series you'd see he's actually pretty decent. I never liked Totalbiscuit, though.

Winged_Warrior said:

Well...another douche british youtuber trying to be funny.

Yahtzee is an OG with online videos judging games. He is a maker of the trend, not a follower. However I do believe his latest "judging by the cover" series is forced and he isn't particularly motivated. I don't like it whatsoever.

Winged_Warrior said:

I still remember TotalBiscuit crediting Sargeant Mark IV for ALL the content of Brutal Doom, actually a lot of stuff is work of another people. Thankfully he added proper credits in V20 and V20b.

Those who praise Brutal Doom and all its assets are just innocently ignorant. How can you expect non Doom fanatics to truly know? It's not like anyone who plays a Doom Wad actively tunes into the Doom Community, reads all the text files and self motivated to praise every individual. Granted, someone like Total biscuit ought to put more research into his videos considering his popularity and influence.

I just reckon Sergeant Mark should of made the credits more obvious to the public since the beginning. But at least the names are printed in the starting menu now. Nonetheless, if you open Brutal Doom with Slade and check out all the sprite and decorate work, it's f$*%ing heaps and he made features / assets that are otherwised overlooked and underappreciated by the Doom community very popular to the public.

The Doom Community are more prone to follow hard core difficulty, vanilla nostalgic gameplay, slaughtermaps and/or abstract maps. While Sergeant Mark did help put Doom back on the table by catering to the non fanatic's tastes. And I argue it still holds true to the gory fast paced world of Doom.

Winged_Warrior said:

Well...another douche british youtuber trying to be funny. I still remember TotalBiscuit crediting Sargeant Mark IV for ALL the content of Brutal Doom, actually a lot of stuff is work of another people. Thankfully he added proper credits in V20 and V20b.

What the hell is your problem?

Winged_Warrior said:

Just because one british person on the internet is an utter asshat doesn't mean we all are. Also, Yahtzee hasn't been a "Youtuber" for years, he got picked up by The Escapist ages ago. He writes and makes videos for them now.

Going to +1 AirRaid's comment about the British. Not all of them are complete arseholes. Sure, the majority are, but not all of us! ;)

Well, that was much funnier than I was expecting.

Also, neck muscle vagina.

Marnetmar said:

What the hell is your problem?

No problem at all. I really like the Ahoy videos, top notch stuff, and one of the best gaming channels (Quality>Quantity). There's good youtubers and awful youtubers, regardless of their nationality.

AirRaid said:

Just because one british person on the internet is an utter asshat doesn't mean we all are. Also, Yahtzee hasn't been a "Youtuber" for years, he got picked up by The Escapist ages ago. He writes and makes videos for them now.

Brits really have nothing to complain about in the arena of the whole country getting judged by the actions of a few assholes. Imagine how it feels to be American.

"Stubborn nostalgiac children who just want more of what they've got"

Holy shit it's like Yahtzee has been here.

Deatheye said:

I wish they would make it the frontcover

Wonder why they cant. Have they already printed certain X number of covers. I think they must have gone past the point of return in the process of deciding.

What the is this guy on about? Calling a massive group of people "fuckwits" because they like the black Icon of Sin cover and "Stubborn nostalgic children" for voting for the other cover? All because one is a minimalist cover and the other is a homage to the game that's it's a reboot of? And if detail is bad, and minimalism is bad, what is a GOOD cover to this guy? Does he even know what he's talking about?

Are..are you guys actually taking the videos seriously?...you do know that its satire right? I didnt expect you guys taking this seriouly wtf...what part "judging by the cover" tell you that its a serious review? Holy shit..

Chezza said:

Yahtzee is an OG with online videos judging games. He is a maker of the trend, not a follower. However I do believe his latest "judging by the cover" series is forced and he isn't particularly motivated. I don't like it whatsoever.

Those who praise Brutal Doom and all its assets are just innocently ignorant. How can you expect non Doom fanatics to truly know? It's not like anyone who plays a Doom Wad actively tunes into the Doom Community, reads all the text files and self motivated to praise every individual. Granted, someone like Total biscuit ought to put more research into his videos considering his popularity and influence.

I just reckon Sergeant Mark should of made the credits more obvious to the public since the beginning. But at least the names are printed in the starting menu now. Nonetheless, if you open Brutal Doom with Slade and check out all the sprite and decorate work, it's f$*%ing heaps and he made features / assets that are otherwised overlooked and underappreciated by the Doom community very popular to the public.

The Doom Community are more prone to follow hard core difficulty, vanilla nostalgic gameplay, slaughtermaps and/or abstract maps. While Sergeant Mark did help put Doom back on the table by catering to the non fanatic's tastes. And I argue it still holds true to the gory fast paced world of Doom.

gotta admit. Brutal doom did attract many new doom fans, despite his arrogance, rdeness and dark humor, the mod is pretty solid...including his map pack. For a long time i kept wondering why there were so many hate comments on youtube about brutal doom, but then realsed it was his personality and some purists who prefer the vanilla doom over gameplay mods.

HellVain said:

Are..are you guys actually taking the videos seriously?...you do know that its satire right? I didnt expect you guys taking this seriouly wtf...what part "judging by the cover" tell you that its a serious review? Holy shit..

Doom is serious business don't you know.

TheMightyHeracross said:

What the is this guy on about? Calling a massive group of people "fuckwits" because they like the black Icon of Sin cover and "Stubborn nostalgic children" for voting for the other cover? All because one is a minimalist cover and the other is a homage to the game that's it's a reboot of? And if detail is bad, and minimalism is bad, what is a GOOD cover to this guy? Does he even know what he's talking about?

It's funny, because in your condemnation of calling a group of people "fuckwits", you're really coming across as a fuckwit.

It's a harmless comedy video using a lot of hyperbole for comic effect, which is kind of yahtzee's thing.

AirRaid said:

He never said all brits..

It's a harmless comedy video using a lot of hyperbole for comic effect, which is kind of yahtzee's thing.

"Harmless comedy" which talks shit about an entire community because of a bunch of assumptions he pulled out of his ass. Right.
Yeah, sorry, I don't see that as an excuse to be a dick.

TheMightyHeracross said:

"Harmless comedy" which talks shit about an entire community because of a bunch of assumptions he pulled out of his ass. Right.
Yeah, sorry, I don't see that as an excuse to be a dick.

He's right about the community, I'm sorry to say. And I think that comment extends beyond the Doom community. Every person on the internet is an obnoxious little prick. He's just pointing it out.

And it really depends when you say "Doom" community. As far as Doomword goes, I think it's more sophisticated than shitholes like Reddit, /v/ or God forbid this place http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-new-doom-its-oldschool-because-theres-no-reloading.81888/