Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaSphere

Doomguy is the real monster

Do you think one man can take on Hell and win or that a hero would smile psychotically when he finds a new weapon? Of course not. He even assaulted his officer apparently because he ''refused to fire upon civilians'' but you know what think? He assaulted him because he had enough of hazing and that's also why he sees fellow marines as ''former humans''. One day he had enough of that shit and went on rampage with monsters representing how he sees humanity and his fears and pain. Have you noticed Cacodemon's grin? It represents the mockery he experienced in his life. Cyberdemon? It's his abusive father who had a bionic arm and leg. Doom is a sad story of domestic abuse, the impact bullying can have on someone and what it can lead to.

Doomguy is chaotic good. Better than cookie cutter pure good stereotypical heroes. http://easydamus.com/chaoticgood.html . Demons aren't nice guys, they kill and hunt humans everywhere with pure intent. They aren't just animals that are hunting, They invade and terraform worlds with pre-planning and intent. [They just happen to be so shitty at killing one person that uses stimpacks 24\7 like a drug addict, Sheesh if something kills doomguy it'd be overdose.

The former humans are possessed by demons (most likely lost souls), This is even how the demons invasion starts in Doom 3. Doomguy isn't killing innocents chance is they are already dead with no way to kick the lost soul out without killing the person.

Pegg said:

The former humans are possessed by demons (most likely lost souls), This is even how the demons invasion starts in Doom 3.

That leaves the question of why Doomguy was spared to begin with. Maybe because he's not entirely human anymore? Or never was?

MegaSphere said:

Do you think one man can take on Hell and win or that a hero would smile psychotically when he finds a new weapon? Of course not. He even assaulted his officer apparently because he ''refused to fire upon civilians'' but you know what think? He assaulted him because he had enough of hazing and that's also why he sees fellow marines as ''former humans''. One day he had enough of that shit and went on rampage with monsters representing how he sees humanity and his fears and pain. Have you noticed Cacodemon's grin? It represents the mockery he experienced in his life. Cyberdemon? It's his abusive father who had a bionic arm and leg. Doom is a sad story of domestic abuse, the impact bullying can have on someone and what it can lead too.

Somethings wrong here...

Anyways...

Look at Duke Nukem.
Look at Strifeguy.
Look at BJ Blazckowitz.
Look at the Mario Brothers.
Look at Megaman.
Look at Danny Evanger.
Look at Master Chief.

Don't you get it? Its YOU that's been doing all this. Jumping on Koopas, shooting the Flood, fighting Acolytes, disabling Androids, destroying the Pig Cops, stopping the Nazis, taking down the other robots.

ALL YOU.

Maes said:

That leaves the question of why Doomguy was spared to begin with. Maybe because he's not entirely human anymore? Or never was?

Doom 3 has some other people who aren't possessed. So it isn't really doomguy being a special snowflake the demons fear\love. Doom 1 just tells you to deal with it while doom 2 at least tries to explain how they all rushed to starports to escape earth, pretty silly plan but it at least tried :P. Bunch of cowards! (They still managed to fuck it up and need doomguy to magically appear and fix that situation, bunch of incompetent cowards to boost :P!

Maes said:

IIRC, possessed in the original games were possessed in their sleep. Apparently, Doomguy was too busy mopping the floors at the time.

Doom 3 makes no sense.

The number of monsters I've killed that have not even successfully hurt me is pretty alarming. I go into every single level I play with extreme prejudice. Im a menace; a renegade deathmachine operating on full throttle. Sometimes you have to sympathize with the monsters when you contemplate how merciless doomguy is. Im curious how doomguy is going to be depicted in the narrative of the new doom game since his reckless destructive behavior is quite terrifying to imagine in real life.

Da Werecat said:

IIRC, possessed in the original games were possessed in their sleep. Apparently, Doomguy was too busy mopping the floors at the time.

Doom 3 makes no sense.

You know what, it could be a pretty frightening plot device. Imagine this thought for any character on Mars: "You are tired after, maybe days of escaping hellspawn, but you didn't reach an escape pod yet and you can't hide and sleep or you might wake up possessed".

40oz said:

The number of monsters I've killed that have not even successfully hurt me is pretty alarming. I go into every single level I play with extreme prejudice. Im a menace; a renegade deathmachine operating on full throttle. Sometimes you have to sympathize with the monsters when you contemplate how merciless doomguy is. Im curious how doomguy is going to be depicted in the narrative of the new doom game since his reckless destructive behavior is quite terrifying to imagine in real life.

They nearly exterminate all human life in Doom 2, plus there are endless billions of them so I don't feel any sympathy for them.

Oh, about the "Doomguy is the real monster thing", yeah, sure, let the demons run freely killing everything in sight...
This funny topic remind me of the classic "If only we conld talk to the monsters" phrase.

You can never really negotiate with an evil force intent on killing those who aren't their kind. Heck, they don't even tolerate each other if so much as grazed.

Doomguy has it right. Kill or be killed.

Maes said:

I thought the manual said you were in some kind of solitary quarters.

Funnily enough, the demons don't actually mind being slaughtered by Doomguy, in fact they really like it. Doomguy is a bit of a celebrity in hell, look at just how good he is at killing! That gets him a lot of respect from the demons and its considered a bit of an honour to fight against him. Some of the imps have only gone up to him to get an autograph, but Doomguy doesn't care, he kills them anyway, and they happily take the shotgun blast to the face.

MegaSphere said:

He assaulted him because he had enough of hazing and that's also why he sees fellow marines as ''former humans''.

You know, I always wanted to make a mod where it is revealed in the end that all of the demons were actually hallucinations in Doom guy's head, and he was actually killing fellow marines and innocent humans all along. The ending screen would show him in a straight jacked inside a padded room, and the text would explain that he was bonkers and off his meds.

@HorrorMovieGuy: I think there's some relatively notable wad which includes a story exactly like that. I only read about it from another person's post and I don't remember the wad's name, though.

^The WAD you guys are thinking of is called "Hyoscyamus Niger", I believe, or something close to that. I remember it started with a chainsaw and included NPC marines as enemies near the end.

Can't seem to find the damn thing on the Archive, though, probably due to a creative spelling of of 'hyoscyamus' in the textfile/filename, or summat. Hell if I remember who the author was.

Edit: I can't find it searching through the wiki's list of Newstuff Chronicle articles, either. Maybe I'm completely out of my mind? Not too hard to believe...

Sacrament is about the entire humanity losing their minds and turning on each other. But I guess it's not the same as only one person seeing everyone as monsters.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

You know, I always wanted to make a mod where it is revealed in the end that all of the demons were actually hallucinations in Doom guy's head, and he was actually killing fellow marines and innocent humans all along. The ending screen would show him in a straight jacked inside a padded room, and the text would explain that he was bonkers and off his meds.

So in other words, Postal. Or Silent Hill 3 when Vincent was talking all creepy-like to Heather:

'Monsters? They look like monsters to you?'

I always figured he smiled sadistically when he picks up a new weapon because he's kinda being driven mad by all the carnage going on and when he finds a new tool to deal out more death and destruction he happily relishes in it knowing the damage he'll be doing.

MegaSphere said:

Do you think one man can take on Hell and win or that a hero would smile psychotically when he finds a new weapon? Of course not. He even assaulted his officer apparently because he ''refused to fire upon civilians'' but you know what think? He assaulted him because he had enough of hazing and that's also why he sees fellow marines as ''former humans''. One day he had enough of that shit and went on rampage with monsters representing how he sees humanity and his fears and pain. Have you noticed Cacodemon's grin? It represents the mockery he experienced in his life. Cyberdemon? It's his abusive father who had a bionic arm and leg. Doom is a sad story of domestic abuse, the impact bullying can have on someone and what it can lead to.

Doom Manifesto: Demons of the World Unite! -__-