Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tereith2050

Best doom builder?

I'm currently using Doom builder 2 and i've seen some videos where people use that i don't have in my builder. I'd love to create advanced stuff such as slopes and hills terrain etc. What is the most used and best builder?

You may be seeing GZDoom Builder. It has a bunch of extra features on top of DB2 core, along with other changes and fixes (and since its based off of DB2, all your skills/knowledge should carry over).

Tereith2050 said:

I'd love to create advanced stuff such as slopes and hills terrain etc.

You're making a classic misconception that available ingame features depend on the editor you're using, which in fact they don't. In other words, a misconception that getting a better editor alone would allow you to make more feature-rich maps, which (again) isn't true at all. There are factors such as map format, target source port compatibility and editor configurations that come into play. Read my post here.

Different mapping editors differ in their editing features (such as ways of drawing map geometry). Not ingame features (such as slopes and scripts). GZDoomBuilder is indeed probably the best in regards of its editing features. But don't attribute it the ability to give you more ingame features than other editors would.

scifista42 said:

Different mapping editors differ in their editing features (such as ways of drawing map geometry). Not ingame features (such as slopes and scripts).

This isn't technically true. For example, SLADE still doesn't appear to support UDMF's multiple sector tags feature. Actually, this is probably mostly a SLADE problem, since it doesn't have a config file that lets you easily adapt it to new mapping features.

Aliotroph? said:

This isn't technically true. For example, SLADE still doesn't appear to support UDMF's multiple sector tags feature. Actually, this is probably mostly a SLADE problem, since it doesn't have a config file that lets you easily adapt it to new mapping features.

The "moreids" UDMF field is just a field like any other, like "heightceiling" or "lightlevel". How GZDB manages it is purely for convenience. Nothing stops you from adding "moreids" as a custom UDMF field in Slade.

Ah. You're right. Thanks. I've never spotted that button before. My point would still stand for editors that don't let users modify the configuration, though. Fortunately, this seems to be limited mostly to old ones.

Now I've found a bug in SLADE. I was able to add "moreids" as a field, set it to be a string, and add four tags to a sector. It worked great... for that sector. When I tried editing that property for another sector SLADE insisted it must be a boolean and would only let me pick those values. Weird. I'll go report that somewhere sane now.