Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaSphere

''Complex '' maps are cancer

All they do is turn Doom into even bigger switch hunt and slow the game down with Hellcore 2.0 and those shit Hellbound city maps being good examples of what not to do eye candy is nice but don't make your map a fucking walking simulator no one wants to play that do you think anyone finished Plenisphere 2? Of course not. Even if it didn't run like shit no one would have the patience to look for few dozen switches and have to guess which street can let him progress and which is a dead end.

Everything is going to be okay. Step back from the computer and count to 10. Then proceed to play Complex Doom paired with Complex maps along with Knee-Deep in Zdoom. Have a cup of tea and then go to bed. Wake up and then try to finish wow.wad and consider your life goals fulfilled.

MegaSphere said:

All they do is turn Doom into even bigger switch hunt and slow the game down with Hellcore 2.0 and those shit Hellbound city maps being good examples of what not to do eye candy is nice but don't make your map a fucking walking simulator no one wants to play that do you think anyone finished Plenisphere 2? Of course not. Even if it didn't run like shit no one would have the patience to look for few dozen switches and have to guess which street can let him progress and which is a dead end.

The only cancerous wads are trollwads and lazywads. I can't agree about any high-effort/spectacular/challenging/unique wads.

MegaSphere said:

Csonicgo said:

That does it. I'm making a team and we're gonna make a walking simulator Doom megawad.

Finally, a project worth participating in.

I'm through the first half of Hellbound and it is FUCKING awesome.

Off with the OP's head I say.

Complex maps prove particularly difficult for men on the high seas seeking the buried treasure. Whatever happened to a simple "X marks the spot"?!

Doomkid said:

Complex maps prove particularly difficult for men on the high seas seeking the buried treasure. Whatever happened to a simple "X marks the spot"?!

Aye, treasure hunting be harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

Who the fuck cares, Doom mapping is an art form, and is open for experimenting.

I actually want more maps like Planisphere 2, Hellbound City maps or Doxylamine Moon, cuz they push Doom to the limit and give a new experience.

Whining is the cancer, not the maps.

You know what Megasphere, this thread inspired me. My next map for ZDoom will have some sort of heavily scripted puzzle that will require you to walk around for ages.

I remember back when people used to say "I don't like it" or "I think it's shit". Now even mild dislike is conveyed with "it's cancer".

I don't even disagree, I just wonder what words/phrases are going to be left for genuine loathing.

vadrig4r said:

I remember back when people used to say "I don't like it" or "I think it's shit". Now even mild dislike is conveyed with "it's cancer".

I don't even disagree, I just wonder what words/phrases are going to be left for genuine loathing.

Exaggeration is hip these days I've noticed, but if I said I didn't do it fairly often I'd be full of shit.

MegaSphere said:

Even if it didn't run like shit no one would have the patience to look for few dozen switches and have to guess which street can let him progress and which is a dead end.

Top Kek over here

I like it when maps are adequately detailed but neither over or underdone, such as Unholy Realms, Fava Beans and others as examples.

In all honesty, if you like linear maps that kinda "guide you through" without having to do much IWAD-like hunting for the next area, you'll probably love my maps. It's never been my intention, but my maps are notably easy to navigate compared to most contemporary maps.

I mean, I disagree fully that the notion of searching around makes a map "bad" but it's rare you'll have to do so on my turf unless you're impressively unobservant.