Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

I need testers and feedback.

Today (Feb 19 2016) at about 1pm EST I will upload my first completed map. It is called MonsterHQ (lame name?). I would really like to use this as multiplayer map, but I don't know if it is practical. It is a semi-large map.

I need really critical input from all of you who play. I am learning more and I currently have a lot of time, but I don't know for how long. Mapping is what I eat sleep and breathe. Even though I am new to all this I think with some guidance and critisism I could really become a great editor. I have enjoyed looking at some of the maps in the archive. I feel like my style is a bit different than some of the >4.5 Star .wads, so I could really use some outside perspective.

I uploaded a portion of the map to mediafire ( http://www.mediafire.com/?43314xqp99i0b58 ), but it is missing the last sectors, monsters, lighting and finishing touches. It should run in Vanilla Doom.

Thanks in advance to everyone who views this. Maybe I'll see you online?

Your wad is NOT vanilla compatible. Crashes prboom-plus on startup with an "R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found" error. Tried using the Ultimate Doom IWAD (since you didn't specify which IWAD to use), and it also crashed, except it complained about SKY1.

Next time, at least test in the source port that you're aiming for compatibility with.

Cynical said:

Your wad is NOT vanilla compatible. Crashes prboom-plus on startup with an "R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found" error. Tried using the Ultimate Doom IWAD (since you didn't specify which IWAD to use), and it also crashed, except it complained about SKY1.

Next time, at least test in the source port that you're aiming for compatibility with.

Sorry. I guess I just assumed it was vanilla because I don't use any tricks. No bridges or slopes etc. I used Doom2 IWAD. I used Slade to import textures to my wad file and it checked clean. The only thing I noticed was that the avp2tex flats went funky, so I have been changing them to Doom2 textures.

You are saying some terms I am not familiar with, so I have a lot more to learn. Decay tested it last night and said it worked fine.

Come to think of it I think I used zdoom or gzdoom to test. I'm just a pleb right now. Thanks for checking it out. I'm sorry it didn't work.

Map is not vanilla compatible as stated. Before you consider starting a map you should always understand compatibility. If it is vanilla compatible then it needs to run using the doom executable or in a port like Chocolate Doom. Please do not use Zdoom for testing unless your map is specifically designed for it as Zdoom is very lax with compatibility rules.

Map was boxy with mostly random monsters with no purpose. I couldn't tell which door I had just been in since they were all the same. Speaking of doors, using a switch panel to open every single door is tedious and a waste of time. This is further exacerbated by the over saturation of doors.

Several of the ceilings displayed Tutti Frutti bugs. Not entirely sure how that happened but if I had to guess it would be bad texture definitions or something.

To sum up:
-Familiarize yourself with source port compatibility
-Try using more angles instead of just boxes
-Cut back on doors

Pretty much going to echo what other people mentioned. The textures are consistent but very bland and repetitive. Some don't make much sense like the use of LEVEL1 and LEVEL2 in two adjacent rooms.

The structure has a couple of nice rooms but is quite boxy, it needs some added interest I feel. Switches for every door might be thematic if you're making a prison but a real nuisance, particularly with so many of them. You should probably cut down on the doors and just allow the player to open them by using them directly rather than switches to help the map flow.

Monster variety is actually really good for a beginner map. No surprise Cyberdemon and you used multiple monster types in most instances, I think this was the map's strongest point so well done.

I would have a play of some speed maps so you can see how some mappers make interesting gameplay within certain constraints. Here's one I played recently that I really enjoyed: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/86184-outpost-hell-the-evolution-of-a-speedmap/. Notice how the map flows, has strong vertical elements and guides the player around using keys with locked doors.

Make sure to test maps with source ports like Chocolate (for vanilla) and Crispy Doom/PRBoom+ (for limit removing) if you're not explicitly using ZDoom features for the widest audience.

U.O.D. said:

Map is not vanilla compatible as stated. Before you consider starting a map you should always understand compatibility. If it is vanilla compatible then it needs to run using the doom executable or in a port like Chocolate Doom. Please do not use Zdoom for testing unless your map is specifically designed for it as Zdoom is very lax with compatibility rules.

Map was boxy with mostly random monsters with no purpose. I couldn't tell which door I had just been in since they were all the same. Speaking of doors, using a switch panel to open every single door is tedious and a waste of time. This is further exacerbated by the over saturation of doors.

Several of the ceilings displayed Tutti Frutti bugs. Not entirely sure how that happened but if I had to guess it would be bad texture definitions or something.

To sum up:
-Familiarize yourself with source port compatibility
-Try using more angles instead of just boxes
-Cut back on doors

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It is still quiet boxy, but I put some of the doors up at default. I put an object under another so it's blocked activating the switch just crushes the box, but you can still fit under. I made some line defs activate the door and keep it open. I like the doors. The main map is very open. For the most part most doors that you need to open are side parts or power up rooms - a little bit of thought is needed if it were DM. Is the powerup worth being slowed down? I'm late on my deadline, but it should be pretty much done in a hour or so.

Yes, the level is boxy, and you do need to use a switch to get through every door, and there are a lot of doors, and it's a little bit difficult to figure out where you're going because everything looks the same, but despite this I liked the level. I wouldn't say it's great in it's current form, but I think there are some interesting design ideas in here that could be developed into something interesting.

There aren't many enemies, but the fact that you have a lot of doors to open gives you something to do. There is a lot of space in the level, which encourages the player to run, so the level plays quite fast. I think you could definitely get some fun gameplay out of that style of level - running around quickly, opening doors, killing a few enemies here and there.

I think you need to work on making different areas of the map stand out more. The texture you've used on the walls is good, but maybe have different areas with different textures. You can also vary ceiling height and add other features to the map to help the player know where they've been, and create memorable landmarks. Maybe even just place a decorative "thing" here and there.

You can do a lot more with lighting, and different lighting effects to create different moods in different areas, and also give the player a sense of progression. If the player is going to be doing a lot of running maybe it'd be cool to run through shadows? You can do sector lighting to create interesting effects, like having a light on a wall that only lights a sliver of the room (ala level 4 in doom 2).

Apart from that you need to remember to use upper and lower unpegged for textures above and below doorways and windows, and the switches. In doom builder if you click "u" for upper or "l" for lower it will help you line things up.

If you make another version of the level upload it and I'll play it again.

This version looks a lot better, with much better lighting. I ran low on ammo, and ran out a few times. There also isn't a lot of health. I still think you could work on differentiating the different areas, I still got a bit lost. I also think you should give some indication as to which are the blue key doors, because there's no way to tell until you try to open them.

There was a wall that didn't look like it was supposed to be there with a hall of mirrors effect. http://imgur.com/JT3dpD5

The doors at the beginning that are already open function weirdly. When you use the switch they "open", and then close after a few seconds. I don't think you need to have the doors in the open position. Opening the doors was kinda a "thing" in the level. But if you want to keep them that way maybe disable the switch?

Hope this helps :)

Quineotio said:

This version looks a lot better, with much better lighting. I ran low on ammo, and ran out a few times. There also isn't a lot of health. I still think you could work on differentiating the different areas, I still got a bit lost. I also think you should give some indication as to which are the blue key doors, because there's no way to tell until you try to open them.

There was a wall that didn't look like it was supposed to be there with a hall of mirrors effect. http://imgur.com/JT3dpD5

The doors at the beginning that are already open function weirdly. When you use the switch they "open", and then close after a few seconds. I don't think you need to have the doors in the open position. Opening the doors was kinda a "thing" in the level. But if you want to keep them that way maybe disable the switch?

Hope this helps :)

You went left after you got out the hallway. When you get there you're only supposed to have a few bullets left and low on health. The hall of mirrors is supposed to be there. It should not be seen and should lower when you trip an LD in the chain gunner room. I'd guess that you took the "blood pool" route. I figured someone would open that door, see 15 Sargent's, see they only have a few rounds and slowly back up, but I should put a w1 lower floor in the blood room to be safe.

Function of the switches is important to me. If they are open and you want to keep them open don't touch them. I won't surprise anyone with a secret when they think they are activating a door. I mostly kept the doors open to allow for a few to get out when they hear your gun commotion.

I am glad you ran out of ammo. You should have almost enough pistol ammo to kill the first imp when you first see the shotgun and if you're running away thinking, "how am I going to get that shotgun. That imp is going to kill me. I need that shotgun." I did my job. You should only be able to miss a shot a handful of times without having to punch to save your skin.

Essentially you brought a knife to a gun fight.

I'm going to put a red key in there to make the level longer so don't worry about not getting you door fix. Everyone who plays this is going to have a new found respect for doors.