Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sleepii

Doom UAC Edition

No real surprise. Know what other game got the shit advertised out of it with numerous special pre-order versions depending on retailer and specific outlets, due to Bethesda being the publisher?

BRINK, that 2011 class-based shooter with parkour some people remember as a complete and utter waste of $60 due to being an underbaked product that had dead multiplayer in less than a month. I'm not going to go the full mile and say "so yeah this means DOOM 2016 sucks", but the whole multiple different editions thing is probably totally on Bethesda's head because they've got a track record of this.

RikohZX said:

No real surprise. Know what other game got the shit advertised out of it with numerous special pre-order versions depending on retailer and specific outlets, due to Bethesda being the publisher?

BRINK, that 2011 class-based shooter with parkour some people remember as a complete and utter waste of $60 due to being an underbaked product that had dead multiplayer in less than a month. I'm not going to go the full mile and say "so yeah this means DOOM 2016 sucks", but the whole multiple different editions thing is probably totally on Bethesda's head because they've got a track record of this.

Lol I actually really enjoyed Brink. It's a lot more fun when you have a clan to play with though.

MrInternational said:

Lol I actually really enjoyed Brink. It's a lot more fun when you have a clan to play with though.

..but how? The bugs where truly awful on release (anyone else get stuck in a wall doing parkour?), and even the base gameplay mechanics where... not very good. I shouldn't need to use a certain class to complete an objective. Team Fortress 2 did a much better job. Also. Ammo. Ammo in a first person shooter should only be scarce when your enemies aren't bullet sponges. :P

The story and levels where fantastic however, and I loved the idea of it.

Anyhow, the UAC thing doesn't seem that big of a deal. I mean sure Brink had a similar sales structure, but everyone likes exclusive goodies based on what they bought. Fallout New Vegas did something similar, and it turned out fine. It was all released as DLC later...

...not that you could do that with the UAC goods, but hey.

Ironhound said:

..but how? The bugs where truly awful on release (anyone else get stuck in a wall doing parkour?), and even the base gameplay mechanics where... not very good. I shouldn't need to use a certain class to complete an objective. Team Fortress 2 did a much better job. Also. Ammo. Ammo in a first person shooter should only be scarce when your enemies aren't bullet sponges. :P

The story and levels where fantastic however, and I loved the idea of it.

Anyhow, the UAC thing doesn't seem that big of a deal. I mean sure Brink had a similar sales structure, but everyone likes exclusive goodies based on what they bought. Fallout New Vegas did something similar, and it turned out fine. It was all released as DLC later...

...not that you could do that with the UAC goods, but hey.

In all honesty I never had any experience with bugs at all. Parkour was how it should have been, and I never ever saw anyone or myself get stuck on anything especially walls, and the soldier class was my favorite so my team and I had no issues with ammo, and like I said earlier I always played with great friends who worked as a team so my experience with Brink was as good as it could get.

Seems like is the usual Brick and Mortar stores exclusive thing. So whatever store usually gets that in the US (EBgames? Best Buy?) will probably announce it soon enough.

I was pretty mad about brink, it was such a cool idea but I don't feel it ever got to it's full potential. But ya for Doom? They're making money off of me that's for sure.

MrInternational said:

In all honesty I never had any experience with bugs at all. Parkour was how it should have been, and I never ever saw anyone or myself get stuck on anything especially walls, and the soldier class was my favorite so my team and I had no issues with ammo, and like I said earlier I always played with great friends who worked as a team so my experience with Brink was as good as it could get.

I probably would have felt the same way had I not played TF2 competitively. (Yes there is/was such a thing, and yes it is/was fairly hardcore. Dont rocket jump 3 seconds out the gate, and watch DOTA level toxicity flood your chat bar. :P)

Basically Brink had all the potential, and I feel that it squandered it. Even Dirty bomb feels better...

...UAC Edition of Doom is a money grab, but I actually liked paying a bit extra for unique stuff.

Lets take Warframe as an example. In beta they gave out a rare skin for one of the characters. It was released in one batch and never released again. Seeing one is like seeing a rare unicorn, and the dude struttin' it, looks like a baller.

I'm fine with that, that's cool, it adds a bit of flavor to the game.

The UAC edition? Patches? A poster? A HANDBOOK!? Wut. 99.95!? Are they out of their minds?

J.B.R said:

Well well, first Collector's Edition, now this UAC Edition, what's next?
Demon edition?
Id and Bethesda must be desperate for money.

I'd say you're probably right. I actually had to loan both id AND Bethesda some cash last month to help fund the completion of the new Doom game.

Let's not get too angry, we need to remember to be understanding. Marty's cocaine addiction is taking a huge toll on both id Software and himself, and we need to be supportive. Poor guy had to snort the entire Knee Deep in the Dead DLC just to get a fix.

He's no more proud of asking us for money than we are happy to loan it to him.

It's just a business decsion they made because of the statues. Bethesda had to pay X amount for those things and want to make sure they dispatch all of them.

Perhaps they have enough market data to suggest people are more likely to buy either the Collector's or UAC edditions, rather than just a larger Collector's edition because people don't want to pay over $180 dollars for a demonic statue that rotates.

I would rather the UAC edition, artwork books and posters are more traditional and fits my expectations, don't have to pay out my ass for them either.

Marnetmar said:

Let's not get too angry, we need to remember to be understanding. Marty's cocaine addiction is taking a huge toll on both id Software and himself, and we need to be supportive. Poor guy had to snort the entire Knee Deep in the Dead DLC just to get a fix.

He's no more proud of asking us for money than we are happy to loan it to him.

Funny you say that. I was thinking about this too lol

So did anyone buy this? Apparently the included handbook has some unique references, like a full page "ad" for going to work on Tei Tenga.