Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Great Games no one ever heard of!

I decided to post this thread to give you guys info of games I and others had fun with, that no one (or very few) ever heard of. (By no one, i mean my friends i've met that are all gamers) Games that never appeared in commercials or mass exposure. Games that are, i guess the term, underappreciated. I wanted to post this so I can see other games that never had the light of day, and may possibly play in the future!

If you want, you guys can post other games you had MASS enjoyment, but not many others heard of, or even liked. Guilty pleasures can count.

Now this can be subjective, I'm telling you now. Maybe this game i had fun with could have been acclaimed as shit. But if YOU had fun with it, and barely anyone knows it, you can post it here!

SO HERE'S A GAME I STILL LOVE TODAY, and NO ONE KNOWS IT.

METAL ARMS: GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM.

Very very solid third person shooter about blowing robots to bits! Had alot of creative weaponry to fire with, a good assortment of enemy variety to wreck, and very sastisfying gunplay! Best parts were when you can use the enemy AGAINST THEM through hacking or enemy conversion! Seriously, gives this game a shot through emulator. It's very enjoyable!

BUT OH SHIT THE TURRET/VEHICLE SECTIONS. Those are really, really INFURIATING.

Tron 2. I played this game to death when it came out in 2003. It has aged surprisingly well. Has an HD mod created by fans and the graphics aren't meant to be realistic since the game takes place inside a computer anyway. So it still looks suitably excellent.

It was a fresh and interesting reimagining of the Tron universe from the 1982 cult film. Not related to the 2011 film Tron: Legacy in any way. Great game with some surprisingly fun action and great light cycle sequences. Played like a first person shooter but with a lot of weapon variety and cool driving missions. You could download upgrades and increase different unique abilities.

Great stuff. I still play through it from time to time. It's super corny but a ton of fun. I wish more people knew about it. Great immersive world. Had an awesome soundtrack as well.

EDIT: Some gameplay footage. Ah yes, the nostalgia is coming back to me now. This level was so badass. Such epic music:

IT's more of a under the radar then a No one's heard of.

Future Cop LAPD, PS1/PC. 3rd Person Mech shooter.

Great game, it's campaign is a little hard, and the controls take a tid bit to get used to, but it's over all fun.
Campaign wise you start bare mins weapon selection, 3 types at all times. Minigun, Hellfire missles, and a mortar. But later you can get a new selection, and then unlock new ones, like a Concussion beam, Hyper Velocity Rockets, Shockwave Generator, and Bouncing Mines.

The "multiplayer" is where it's at though. You get all the weapons (I think all) from the campaign. It's a near moba style of play except YOU send troops out instead, and they cost points to do so. You get points by claiming Turrets, killing enemy claimed turrets, destroy enemy troops, and kill the Enemy (most recommended, as killing them reduces their points by 10 every time). Claim bases to hinder tanks from entering your area easier.. Or being the dick I am, claim the bases NEXT to the enemy base. :3
-Single player variant has you pitted against Sky Captain, a CPU who gains advantage over you with every difficulty raise. Starting from how many tanks and helicopters he has, to plain out fucking you with better maneuvering.
-If against a player, it's equal, start with 10 points, no tanks or heli's, everything unclaimed. It gets down right brutal.

I think everyone's heard of it but I can't believe there hasn't been a proper Marble Madness sequel. Imagine if a new one with incredible sprite animations and music came out, with 20 or so maps and a custom "map maker" thing like what they have in Mario Maker, for example. I know there's Monkey Ball and I also love that series, but I feel like the isometric view adds a lot to MarbleMad and would make custom track creation a breeze.

If you haven't played Marble Madness do yourself a favor and get on it. The NES port is the best version for me simply due to more fluent control, but the Arcade and Gen versions are great too. Excellent concept, Mark Cerny and the other copyright holders could make serious bank if he got a sequel as I described out. 6 bucks a pop on xbox, wiiU, ps4, PC, etc - He'd make a truckload of cash.

Oh man, 4 player marble races? Head-to-head online races? Custom tracks? Unlockable marble skins and shit?! I'd be down with that!

Probably the best space 4X game ever made. It was on iOS for a while but it seems to have vanished with the rest of the parent company.

Starsiege (1999) is another great overlooked game. Some people know this series through the FPS Starsiege: Tribes but the original was actually a walking robot mecha game. It was very dark with epic menu music and cool menu briefing screens. You could play as the humans in order to save humanity, or play as the cybrids (the bad guys) in a whole different campaign to destroy earth. I loved the cybrid campaign. They would always refer to humans as "animals" which I found funny.

The actual gameplay was cool as you could recruit teammates over time. You could also pimp out your robot with new engines, force fields, guns etc and could also do the same for your teammates with their vehicles. Some teammates had a preference for specific robot types (tank, low walker etc) and each had a different personality. This game was a big step up from the earlier Earthsiege 2. Earthsiege 2 had some hilarious briefing screens that were cool at the time but... such bad acting! This guy (Gearling) should be a meme. Lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqILPYigsfk

Anyway, Starsiege. Big open worlds that you travelled through to get from one site to the next. Sometimes the aiming was a huge pain in the ass. But still fun overall.

Gameplay "let's play" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Ej_fAmwoc

Menu music with main screen timeline video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whmxv983WE

Deer Hunter 2005 Season.

I remember sinking hours into this game. The only people who seem to remember it are myself and some cousins who owned a copy (In fact, I was first introduced to it by them). Allowed you too carry flashy pink guns before CS:GO.

Let me add another to the list! This one's from the guys who brought you the Army Men Games!

THIS IS A WONDERFUL GAME.
Incredible mayhem and destruction WITH TANKS, this game has SO MANY weapons/tanks to try out. The campaign is very enjoyable, with varying mission assignments to complete, and hundreds of tanks to wreck, this was VERY FUN. Not to mention if you had a buddy to fight against, it would provide some of the best multiplayer you can have on the 64/ps2! Plus BADASS MUSIC. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYL6YTtNI8)

Seriously: Try it.

Big yes on Future Cop:LAPD especially the soundtrack, that soundtrack is just awesome.
Duke Nukem Zero Hour on the N64 was the best of the Third Person Duke games in my opinion, only issue was it's save system.
Die Hard Trilogy 1 was just so badass, remember playing the first 2 games to death.
Disruptor was never exactly popular and i think its the best shooter on the playstation.
Omikron:The Nomad Soul is another brilliant one, so creative and while some of the genre mixing doesn't exactly work that well, at least they tried and at least it's an actual game unlike the rest of Quantic Dreams work.

yukib1t said:

I fell in love with Gyruss recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haehLgNNB4c

I remember that game. That first stage after you get to earth is rough, but it gets better once you get back to "2 Warps to Neptune" again. It's amazing the difference double shot makes. The bonus stages are fairly easy (if you know the patterns) with double shot, but good luck hitting anything with the single.

The NES version is also fun, but a bit different. You continue on past earth and go to the sun instead, and there are bosses instead of just waves.

Ratchet+Zelda in Egypt. For a game with a name as stupid as this it was pretty good and was actually well received, too bad for Eurocom and THQ then that it sold like ass. It had great atmosphere, a really kickass soundtrack, and still looks pretty nice visually. Though for the most part the game was a pretty typical action adventure platformer, we all know the true highlight of the game was whenever you could light a mummy on fire.

BaronOfStuff said:

G-Police

Oh man, I wish there was a game like that nowadays. Mega cities with flying trafic in the veins of Blade Runner and The Fifth Element where you control a badass futuristic battle chopper.

For anyone that doesn't mind a slow-paced game and framedrops that actually work in favor in some aspect of atmosphere, this game is great.

There was a game I really enjoyed on the original Xbox but I forgot its name and struggling to locate it.

In my head I keep thinking the name ectoplasm or something along the lines. I would be thrilled if someone could identify what I'm trying to remember. It's your general third person action game where you play as a young bloke in a strange world made entirely out of a unique material which is the name of the game. It's bright, I think there is lots of yellow and your suit gradually gets infused with the material which unlocks more abilities and combat combinations. All the enemies you fight are made from the material as well.

I keep thinking ecto or something... Damn it I wish I could remember. Anyway, I found that a good game that seems to slip under the radar.