Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Outpost Hell - Possible E2 Candidate?

Image that probably doesn't show enough map. :P

If you frequent Wads and Mods at all you'll probably recognize this map: I figured that considering I'm not going to do anything with it, I should probably donate it to here! The map fits within vanilla restrictions and would be best suited to an early E2 slot, considering it uses Cacos, Barons and Lost Souls and isn't too long. Difficulties and Co-op haven't been implemented as of yet considering I wasn't making this map for any sort of project, but I can add them easily enough, alongside any other alterations you guys thing would be necessary.

Here's the link. Enjoy!

Thanks Obsidian, I just played it and it is a nice map.

One issue I had was running completely out of ammo when fighting the final boss, needs more shotgun shells I think (say 20).

I never found the chaingun secret, looked in the editor and seems impossible to get into that tunnel to activate it.

I did not find the armor secret either, I guess you are meant to hear the elevator noise, but I never did, and once you get the yellow key you will not activate it on the way back.

Also there is a room with electric lamp posts, but has no monsters or items in it.

As for adding to Freedoom, my feeling is that this map would need an early slot, like C1M2 or C2M1. It is probably too advanced to be the very first map (C1M1) -- e.g. requiring lots of dodging at the very start spot. And probably too short to be in later slots in an episode. Of course it could be used in Phase 2, or even Phase 3 or 4 if they ever happen. If it gets used is not my decision though.

andrewj said:

I never found the chaingun secret, looked in the editor and seems impossible to get into that tunnel to activate it.

Heh, that was a bit of trickery on my part: blowing up the barrels sets off a reaction that kills a zombie and makes him activate the life with the chaingun on it.

I did not find the armor secret either, I guess you are meant to hear the elevator noise, but I never did, and once you get the yellow key you will not activate it on the way back.

I'll have some linked sectors so you hear the lift activate.

Also there is a room with electric lamp posts, but has no monsters or items in it.

Intentional, if a bit silly. I can replace it if you like.

As for adding to Freedoom, my feeling is that this map would need an early slot, like C1M2 or C2M1. It is probably too advanced to be the very first map (C1M1) -- e.g. requiring lots of dodging at the very start spot. And probably too short to be in later slots in an episode. Of course it could be used in Phase 2, or even Phase 3 or 4 if they ever happen. If it gets used is not my decision though.

Yeah, I felt like C2M1 or C2M2 would be the best fits for it considering its length and decoration.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some fixing up after I get a few more players. :)

"May or may not"

Pretty sure the official stance is "not". I prefer it that way. Hell, I think we should cut FreeDM. The least necessary IWADs, the better.

Obsidian said:

Heh, that was a bit of trickery on my part: blowing up the barrels sets off a reaction that kills a zombie and makes him activate the life with the chaingun on it.

That makes sense now, but for me it didn't work, maybe because the zombie is too far away from the activating line -- it is the center of the thing that crosses the line, not the thing's edge, so moving the zombie center to 1 unit away from the line should make it work more reliably.