Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

What would make a better DOOM cover?

Touchdown said:

I can't believe people actually like the black box with a logo. I don't get it.

Also, I haven't been following the discussions too much but I've seen the Cyberdemon in the CGI trailer and on the cover. I see people bitch and moan and whine about it all the time. What exactly is wrong with it?

The Doom 2016 Cyberdemon looks like a rock golem monster from World of Warcraft or Runescape. Just look at his face. Completely non-threatening "fat kid" look with chubby cheeks smooshed together like he ate one too many cafeteria pizzas. Contrast that with the badass "Terminator style" Cyberdemon from the original Doom or the creepy Giger-esque Cyberdemon from Doom 3.

By comparison the Doom 2016 version is lame and cuddly looking. Nothing dark, badass or evil. And the antlers are just retarded. Makes him look like a big moose. Or a reindeer for Santa. Would make a great Fisher-Price plushy. Hopefully he's a rare enemy because of his strength so we don't have to see him often. And if we do, it will be very satisfying to kill him as to wipe his stupid face from the screen.

His jaw is so fat and stupid also. The second I see it the only thing I can picture is him imitating the cookie monster.

RUSH said:

The Doom 2016 Cyberdemon looks like a rock golem monster from World of Warcraft or Runescape. Just look at his face. Completely non-threatening "fat kid" look with chubby cheeks smooshed together like he ate one too many cafeteria pizzas. Contrast that with the badass "Terminator style" Cyberdemon from the original Doom or the creepy Giger-esque Cyberdemon from Doom 3.

By comparison the Doom 2016 version is lame and cuddly looking. Nothing dark, badass or evil. And the antlers are just retarded. Makes him look like a big moose. Or a reindeer for Santa. Would make a great Fisher-Price plushy. Hopefully he's a rare enemy because of his strength so we don't have to see him often. And if we do, it will be very satisfying to kill him as to wipe his stupid face from the screen.

His jaw is so fat and stupid also. The second I see it the only thing I can picture is him imitating the cookie monster.

Maybe, id Software and Bethesda may gradually release new campaign missions with more original-looking demons that look pretty evil and scary and stuff. =3

Something about the "DOOM" logo on the new cover doesn't look right to me, but I can't quite point it out. Is it a perfectly traced silhouette of the original letters? I dont know if its the aspect ratio or if the O's are too symmetrical or something, or maybe my eyes aren't being directed without the zig zags with the blue tekwall top and yellow floor bottom.

Anyway the doom marine doesn't make for a very interesting cover. He's not supposed to have any real background with the context of the game. He's just a first person empty shell of a person that you get to be. A portrait of a monster would be much better. I'm not sure a tribute to the original Doom art with the doom guy fighting a bunch of monsters really holds up today either.

40oz said:

Something about the "DOOM" logo on the new cover doesn't look right to me, but I can't quite point it out. Is it a perfectly traced silhouette of the original letters? I dont know if its the aspect ratio or if the O's are too symmetrical or something, or maybe my eyes aren't being directed without the zig zags with the blue tekwall top and yellow floor bottom.

Actually it's kind of interesting how they've 'fixed' the 'O's in the logo by moving the sharp bottom of the letters towards the middle. :) A change I did not expect but I kind of like it.

AirRaid said:

You can order it on steam now.

I get that some people don't like to preorder though.

Preordering a digital product is pointless.
Also, I like to hear how good or optimized the game is, that way I never have problems like the Arkhan Knight and Ass Creed Unity fiascos. Off course, it doesn't prevent me of getting bad games like the undeservedly praised Bioshock Infinite, but it help with bad ports.

The new Doom cover is fine. It shows the player, which customers will be attracted to, Doomer or not. It is simplistic in such a way, that its fantastic. Have a look at the original Doom box art, one showing Doomguy fighting dozens of barons with a non existent weapon(well in the final product), and a VERY YELLOW background portraying Hell, and a glimpse of a running soldier. Oh and Doomguy 50% of his face. Doom 2's show Doomguy shooting a Cyber demon with a strapped shotgun(strap? Meh) in a background like Hell. Doom 3 showed a Hellknight roaring at your face (and coincidentally, Doom 2016's older box art was a Revenant looking like it was about to burst into flames and was screeching towards (but not directed) to the player (...hmm?). Now, its Doomguy holding his awesomest (though not the most powerful) weapon in his hands and looking at the player in such a way, its like he is saying "well, buy it!", in an intimidating to way. And the simple background makes the whole "story ain't that important" part show off (look at Halo 5's box art). Then the armor. Makes customers think "wtf did he go through, how did he survive?" thus adding mystery. Then the customer would realise that Doomguy, is you.

LkMax said:

Preordering a digital product is pointless.

Why? What is the main point of pre-ordering a non digital product? To ensure you get it on day of release, I guess. Which is exactly why you would preorder a digital product. So you can pre-load the tens of gigabytes of data so you can play it ASAP.

Voros said:

The new Doom cover is fine. It shows the player, which customers will be attracted to, Doomer or not. It is simplistic in such a way, that its fantastic. Have a look at the original Doom box art, one showing Doomguy fighting dozens of barons with a non existent weapon(well in the final product), and a VERY YELLOW background portraying Hell, and a glimpse of a running soldier. Oh and Doomguy 50% of his face. Doom 2's show Doomguy shooting a Cyber demon with a strapped shotgun(strap? Meh) in a background like Hell. Doom 3 showed a Hellknight roaring at your face (and coincidentally, Doom 2016's older box art was a Revenant looking like it was about to burst into flames and was screeching towards (but not directed) to the player (...hmm?). Now, its Doomguy holding his awesomest (though not the most powerful) weapon in his hands and looking at the player in such a way, its like he is saying "well, buy it!", in an intimidating to way. And the simple background makes the whole "story ain't that important" part show off (look at Halo 5's box art). Then the armor. Makes customers think "wtf did he go through, how did he survive?" thus adding mystery. Then the customer would realise that Doomguy, is you.

That's all well and good, but it still lacks character and charm.

Hell, even the Doom comic cover has more personality than the present cover.

I really hope it's not the final cover, because if it is, I'm going to probably replace it with some fan-made box art I can find on vgboxarts.

After all, some of the fan-made box art is pretty cool IMHO. =)

Something like this logo is much more appropiate for the game, maybe not the best option you can come up with, but better than a white stencil logo. Trust me. I'm a designer.

Trust me, I'm a designer. Here's something which is completely the wrong size/orientation for the project.

Hofmann said:

Haha I really like this one!

I don't mind, I think the new cover is fine, maybe some more battle damage on him? His face looks creepy lol, stone cold killer.

AirRaid said:

Trust me, I'm a designer. Here's something which is completely the wrong size/orientation for the project.

LOL!

Ginsu said:

Haha I really like this one!

I don't mind, I think the new cover is fine, maybe some more battle damage on him? His face looks creepy lol, stone cold killer.

LOL!

Meh, methinks Bethesda should take notes from Diablo and release a Diablo-esque looking cover. =3

Also, methinks they need to haz more demon variants like in Diablo as well, so the process of killing demons never gets monotonous. =3

I know this isn't Doomguy but the enemies are from this new game.

This gave me an idea, what about being able to choose between playing as a Doomguy or a Doomgirl?

Back to the cover, I think even this orange logo would be a better option for the game, ignore the pentagram behind it.

While the cover is never going to be a deal-breaker for me, it's still an interesting discussion that brings out the creativity in people.

Because I'm old-fashioned and absolutely sick of the pervasive minimalist style that has plagued First-person-shooter covers ever since the mid-90s (I'll grant that they were cool for awhile though), I would've liked something a bit more like this:

Basically something that shows the Doom guy move around in an indoor environment, while stylishly blasting nasty demons out of midair and stylishly dodging demons and demon attacks, essentially to show what the damned game is about (and it would be appropriate, because Doom 2016 is a game about moving about, dodging stuff, while shooting stuff in an indoor environment).

That at least would tell me instantly what this game is about and it would make the cover itself more memorable (for being old-school among other things) and just plain make it stand out.

It would also show that the developers wouldn't give a shit about supposedly being "deep" and "poetic" and just let their cover artist have some fun.

I have an idea of the definitive cover for new Doom RIGHT HERE.

Spoiler

I don't know what possessed me to draw this. Maybe I felt too Dank...

Not to be taken seriously.

AirRaid said:

Why? What is the main point of pre-ordering a non digital product? To ensure you get it on day of release, I guess. Which is exactly why you would preorder a digital product. So you can pre-load the tens of gigabytes of data so you can play it ASAP.

IDK, I never preordered anything, but probably to make sure the store you're buying from will not run out of copies and you'll have to wait longer.
Pre loading the game is not really that necessary with fast internet connection.

Your internet connection means absolutely dick when the content servers are being hammered at time of release. As good as Valves servers are these days, Steam still gets really slow around the time of big releases. Pre-loads are designed specifically to avoid that.

Xerge said:

I know this isn't Doomguy but the enemies are from this new game.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/scm2k6/tumblr_o2pv3dzENX1r2to8go1_500_zpscltlghov.jpg

This, whith the new Doomguy instead of the girl and some more reddish sky colours in the background would make a cool cover. It should look eventful, not so static. I mean, they emphasise on Doom being a fast and acrobatic game, so the cover artwork should hint in that direction as well.

AirRaid said:

Your internet connection means absolutely dick when the content servers are being hammered at time of release. As good as Valves servers are these days, Steam still gets really slow around the time of big releases. Pre-loads are designed specifically to avoid that.

Good point, haven't thought about that.
Then again, I'm a patient gamer. =P

I always hated that image. Partly because it's all HEY LOOK AN ASS and partly because the artist clearly ignored every rule of anatomy in order to show it. Her spine would snap in that position. Not only are the legs way rotated as you mentioned but she's kinda bent to the side as well. When she comes down the only game she'll star in is Wheelchair Doom.