Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

Will someone play test this for me?

https://www.mediafire.com/?usf6gq9b6n3husj

I want you to play it on Ultra Violence and tell me what it could use. I don't have it complete yet, so I'm only really looking for input up to about the Chaingunner. Is it balanced? Tell me how it plays.

I'm not done, but the textures are from avp2tex from Afterglow. I'll be sure to include a credit.txt with final product.

Turn off run.

I want this to be hard. If you die a few times let me know. I want to balance this map to this audience. Thank you so much!

lowpass30Hz said:

What IWAD do I need? When I try and play it I get a missing texture error.

doom2.wad the flats got fucked up. I'll have to fix it when I'm done. Hopefully it loads. I use gzdoom.exe to playtest.

Hi, I finished a run through.

Tense at the start because of the scarce ammo. As the level went on and I found more ammo it became easier and easier. Especially after the yellow key area because I was well equipped to deal with the enemies by then. The Arachnotron in the lower area wasn't a challenge because I could attack him from above and he couldn't hit back.

There was an invisible force field here by the blue key. The enemy was trapped and I had to idclip past to continue the level.

I like the overall lighting style but I don't think there would be light through this closed door.

Pro's:
-Texture choices.
-Computer terminal detailing.
-Crate blocking the door looked cool.

Con's:
-Lots of misaligned textures.
-Easier at end than start.

Hope this helps.

everennui said:

I can't figure out what to do next.

You have to jump from that ledge on the left into the top of the tower and press the switches inside to open the gate.

Ok, first off, from what I've seen there is no blue key in this map. I IDDT'd and still couldn't find it. But the texturing here needs some more work, several spots look like you forgot to lower+upper unpeg the walls and I noticed a spot where a sector is incomplete, from the looks of it at least. It's right there at the door switch that has a tiny window right next to it, looking into the room with the blood pool.

Aside from that I only saw 3 chaingunners and the only thing out of balance was the lack of pickups, then again I was playing on the phone so maybe my aim (and strafing) wasn't on par. I prolly didn t get to the spot you were talking about; I'm guessing it was the area with the arach and chaingunners, but I IDCLIP'd there so I couldn't tell you if that encounter was balanced.

This map was kinda plain though, with most of it being hallway after hallway, looking like it should be vanilla. I'd suggest sprucing the place up a bit with some supports or something and floor/ceiling detailing to break up the monotony of it and some more height variation, as most of it was flat. Also, all of it was open door then shoot everything, so the gameplay and monster placement could use work as well.

I did like the texture choice, though.

Keep at it though, man :)

lowpass30Hz said:

You have to jump from that ledge on the left into the top of the tower and press the switches inside to open the gate.

Okay. Maybe that is my fault. I believe on one of your other posts you said it was Vanilla and honestly, I don't know what that's all about. I figured it meant no jumping.

you can probably subtract 10 or so minutes from that. I played UV and it was hard. I couldn't beat it. I had to resurrect 3 times those chaingunners just rip you apart in those small corridors. You definitely have your own unique style. How do you decide where to put monsters?

That's what I'm working on right now with my map. I load it up and make sure it is playing the way I want. I have an idea what I want and where, but until I get to that room, it's just an outline.

I want you to run out of bullets on the last guy when you just need one more. I want you to see the shotgun and know that you can't get it because you have 22% health and no bullets. I want you to use doors to trick imps. It's a very delicate dance IMO. I don't know. I'm maybe just not at some people's level, but your level was SOOO hard.

When you're going through that cave thing, when you trip that wire for the machine gun, it's not looking to good.

You failed to specify compatibility again. I can't stress how important this is. Since PrBoom+ didn't work I used ZDoom.

Map looks better with the varied lighting but the whole switch/door thing is still tedious. I really recommend removing some of the doors and make the remaining ones open by pressing directly on them. If you press the switch on the opened door at the beginning it will later shut and become unopenable because of the wonky sectors it's made up of. I was also frustrated by continually running into locked Blue doors that had no indication of needing a key aside from pressing on it. A general practice of level design is the mark locked doors with the corresponding bar texture.

Map can't be finished as there is a raised untextured wall that has the wrong trigger set. S1 instead of W1. Technically you could press use directly where the line is but there is no way of knowing that without looking in an editor. I can't offer anything more because the map doesn't work correctly. Fix it up and I can test again.

As far as I can tell there is no ZDoom specific features in the map. Please make it playable in PrBoom+ or similar port.

U.O.D. said:

You failed to specify compatibility again. I can't stress how important this is. Since PrBoom+ didn't work I used ZDoom.

Map looks better with the varied lighting but the whole switch/door thing is still tedious. I really recommend removing some of the doors and make the remaining ones open by pressing directly on them. If you press the switch on the opened door at the beginning it will later shut and become unopenable because of the wonky sectors it's made up of. I was also frustrated by continually running into locked Blue doors that had no indication of needing a key aside from pressing on it. A general practice of level design is the mark locked doors with the corresponding bar texture.

Map can't be finished as there is a raised untextured wall that has the wrong trigger set. S1 instead of W1. Technically you could press use directly where the line is but there is no way of knowing that without looking in an editor. I can't offer anything more because the map doesn't work correctly. Fix it up and I can test again.

As far as I can tell there is no ZDoom specific features in the map. Please make it playable in PrBoom+ or similar port.

Can you tell me about prboom? I'm coming to grips with these new terms, but I'm still very lost. PrBoom I'm guessing is an engine that would be considered, "vanilla"... I like new stuff, but I'm not utilizing it. Will my textures be PrBoom+ compatible? I used Slade to import them. I know I did something wrong, but it worked for me so I slowly stepped away.

To be honest, I'm having some issues right now. I like how things look gzdoom, but Zandronum has a seemingly easy TCP going on and I want to play custom maps my brother and I make.

Can you guide me to some literature so that I can expand my lexicon of doom?

I should use (Pr)Boom(+) to test? That helps make sure it has the widest reach? (Compatibility) prboom is like base? If it works there it will work anywhere?

Can I fix my issues? I can give you he newest wad if that would help you determine anything.

I now know why it's called doomworld! Really it's a universe... so much stuff. Am I making this to hard for my self?

everennui said:

PrBoom I'm guessing is an engine that would be considered, "vanilla"...

PrBoom+ is one of many source ports like ZDoom, GZDoom etc.
I would use Chocolate-Doom to test vanilla WADs. It emulates the Vanilla version of the game.

everennui said:

Can you guide me to some literature so that I can expand my lexicon of doom?

List of Windows source ports:
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/?platform=2

Link to the Doom Wiki:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway