Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EClydeDeebo

Battison Krag Final Hexen Level Released

Done. Fixed a few things. Thanks All

I can't do anymore on my own. I know it too well. So, if you dig Hexen (more Doom then pure Hexen) give it a go. Post back here if you have suggestions.

I can't script so most of the script is stolen from tutorials except for some stolen from Hexen MAP04.

I call it Battison Krag (Penistone Crag is from the story "Wuthering Heights")

I hope it is balanced for all fighter classes but I doubt it. Right now I can't play it anymore and didn't want to leave it for later cause that may not come.

Basically the theme is castle-sewage. You were sitting at the fire waiting for your gal Bronwyn to stop by and give ya a blowjob....you hear someone at the door so you go check...it ain't her

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B76xkt2Ab0JKb2hZSnlIZmpYY3M/view?usp=sharing

Hexen map response is usually kind of low. I absolutely plan on playing this, but I might not get to it for a bit still.

Just played. To be honest, outside of the GZDoom features (which I'm not sure I'd consider a plus in most places) it's a lot like stuff that was being released for Hexen back in '97. Not terrible but it doesn't really feel memorable or anything that rises above the (fairly low) baseline for Hexen WADs.

Pro:
+ Detailing/themeing is fairly nice in some areas.
+ Ice slide was a potentially interesting concept.
+ Nothing glaringly bad, gameplay-wise.
+ Keeps relatively standard, without a bunch of ill-conceived DECORATE stuff that ZHexen stuff often gets "enhanced" with.

Con:
- Linear. Doesn't really create much of a feel of an adventure, so much as a series of rooms (also rather lacks a unifying theme element, I feel).
- Heresiarch seems to have no purpose.
- Ending was abrupt (kill the guy and suddenly finale screen).
- This: (the blocking bars don't appear right) http://imgur.com/51yoprA

Keep at it. A lot of the individual rooms have good ideas, but I want to see something that pulls the "big picture" together better.

Thank You for the feedback which I appreciate very much.

Heresiarch has no purpose. I put him there and left him there. My intent was for him to break out from the trees which were to be destructible and see what he does. Then I forgot about it.

The bars are goofy...no doubt. Textures are not aligned.

All Doom games are linear but I know what you mean.

What would you suggest as an ending? I liked it. I tried the Wyvern or whatever it is called in Hexen and another boss but didn't like that. I suppose I could have gone onto another level but that made even less sense to me.

What I had hoped on the ice slide was a double trouble but sliding into pots to release monsters I could not get done. Around a corner woulda been a good idea

Nope no unifying theme. I won't do that. I find it really a bore to spend 20 minutes in a swamp or cave.....that was Hexen's biggest fault IMO. Easy to get lost. I like current games that actually give me guidance on where to go.

Again thanks. Gives me a chance to think about what I did and see if I have improved over the last 20+ years. I have since updated the map.

Alright, I just finished playing this. I agree with ETTiNGRiNDER's summary entirely, so I'll try to expand on some of his points and hopefully not put words in his mouth.

EClydeDeebo said:

What would you suggest as an ending? I liked it. I tried the Wyvern or whatever it is called in Hexen and another boss but didn't like that. I suppose I could have gone onto another level but that made even less sense to me.

The ending room is fine enough, it's just that when you kill the boss enemy the level immediately cuts to the ending screen. Have it open a portal or something so the player can leave of their own volition.

EClydeDeebo said:

Nope no unifying theme. I won't do that. I find it really a bore to spend 20 minutes in a swamp or cave.....that was Hexen's biggest fault IMO. Easy to get lost. I like current games that actually give me guidance on where to go.

Unifying theme doesn't mean you have to spend the whole time in the exact same location or textures. For this map, it was supposedly a castle with a sewer, but your texture choice and architecture is kind of all over the place. There's not much that makes it feel like it's a castle, or any kind of location other than "a series of connected rooms in a video game".

So yeah, not a bad map but lots of room for improvement. Hope you stick to it.

Thank You for your kind words. As to whether I stick with it...to much to do in life to spend a lot of time mapping. Spring is coming and my chainsaw needs to get busy.

I am the only person I have met that thinks it unimportant to texture theme a map.