Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Empyre

Mysterious Hall-of-Mirrors Effect

I'm making a map in Boom format for Doomed in Space. The last thing I did was add the pedestals for the weapons and keys, and now I have a hall-of-mirrors effect in ZDaemon, but not in Zandronum. It baffles me because there seems to be nothing wrong to cause it.

Here's the work-in-progress map.

Looks like a node builder error. Those can happen randomly and potentially anywhere, but happen with greater probability when you have irregular map geometry, and specially when you have linedefs which are almost perfectly but not 100% perfectly collinear with each other, which the linedefs near your pedestals are. Change some vertex positions to make the affected linedefs either perfectly collinear with or quite differently angled than other linedefs in the map, rebuild nodes and it's likely to help.

Software ZDoom has HOM too. I rebuilt the map using BSP-W32 as the nodebuilder and they went away. Change some geometry in the level to force nodes to be rebuilt.

While we're at it, I could see the sky horizon line (where the floor and ceiling don't quite meet) in software mode. I forget how to do this properly but I think you can lower both floor and ceiling heights to be so low the player can't see them?

Yes, if you set the ceiling height to be the same as the floor, the border will become invisible, and as long as all neighboring sectors to the zero-height sector also have sky ceiling, there will be no HOM. In other words, you need to split the outdoor sector into two, an "outside one" (touching the borders that aren't supposed to be visible) and an "inside one" (touching the windows and the inner building), and set the "outside" sector's ceiling height to match its floor height, but keep the "inside" sector's ceiling height as is.

SO I can use BSP-W32 as the nodebuilder and the problem will go away? Where can I get it? I looked here and didn't see one by that name.

I'll do your suggestion for the sky, which will be the change in geometry needed to force the nodes to be rebuilt. If this works, then I can finish the map.

Map editors such as Doom Builder 2 and GZDoom Builder come with all standard node builders (including BSP-W32) bundled with them and having already prepared configurations for them. To tell DB2/GZDB which node builder to use, go to "Tools -> Game Configurations -> Node Building" and change the node builder configuration for both saving and testing, THEN change the map geometry and save the map.

plums said:

Software ZDoom has HOM too. I rebuilt the map using BSP-W32 as the nodebuilder and they went away.

Be warned: That's not a working solution!
Many of the current source ports will rebuild the nodes for whatever need (even software ZDoom does for its textured automap!) and if you depend on some quirk of a single node builder, you may end up with a map that only plays in ports which do not rebuild the nodes ever.

Good point. In this particular case it seems to be "anything but ZenNode" that fixes it, and the wad is targeted at specific source ports, so changing the node builder as a solution is testable and probably safe if no other solution can be found. But you are right that as a general solution, it is not good to rely on a specific node builder.

I finally gave up and went back to a copy from just before I added the pedestals against the walls, and added pedestals in the middle of the hallway instead. Your advice for the sky worked brilliantly.

Thank you for your help!