Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Helmet reflection effect

I'd like to hear opinions on this.

Has anyone else played Metroid Prime? Sometimes if you are too close to a big explosión or big plasma blast Samus' face would reflect on the helmet a bit so you'd see her.

When I saw Doomguy putting on his helmet on the E3 demo I thought of Metroid Prime, because in Metroid Prime you can see part of your helmet just like when you see it in Doom before it vanishes after he puts it on.

So I thought to myself, how good would it be if Doom guy's face would reflect a bit sometimes if you stand too close to a big explosion (with different facial gestures and different stages of damage like in the original games), I really have my doubts about it because I dont know if it would somehow obstruct your field of vision, although it didn't really do that on Metroid because it was very subtle and you could adjust it's opacity, I think it would be a cool subtle way to be able to see Doomguy's face somehow, which was something very carachteristic of many Doom games until Doom 64 was released.

My main worry is what I mentioned, I wonder if the guys at ID even tried this, they should've and maybe they should add an option not to see it at all if you feel it obstructs your field of vision, I mean having that option would be interesting to me to try it out and see for myself.

Considering everything they've done to allow literally everyone to project themselves into the protagonist's shoes, this would be entirely counter-intuitive.

I know what you mean. I wonder if that was a good idea in the first place or not, I mean It's not that I don't like it, but since seeing Doomguy's face was something so charateristic of Doom it would cool to see that feature return somehow, if not in this game maybe in the next one.

That would be pretty fucking awesome actually! Like you could see your reflection for just a half of a second. An angry grin with bloodied mouth and nose! That would be amazing!

If you see closely Samus moves her eyes to one side when she is hurt, maybe Doomguy should do the same when the explosion is coming from the sides.

What they have done with Doom4 is to make your vision absolutely optimal. This in great contrast to D3 or many other recent shooters which cover your screen with garb. Be it too many hud elements or horrible circular gradient blood effects to signal health when you get shot or D3's awful view offsetting and motion blur effects.

I was ecstatic to see the entire helmet dissapear in the intro and only be left with simplistic health/armor/weapon info.

This even ties into combat. Explosions and smoke effects last shortly (compare them to other games; you will notice). When the player gets hurt there is a very soft gradient at the bottom of the screen with a small text to signify health status being critical.

Even the moment where you take damage does very little to your screen; it shows a "displaced" crack at most, leaving the rest to happen "outside" as in the projectile exploding on you.

I love this cleanliness. It really places you into the world and allows you to react instantly to anything going on, no matter how hectic or threatening the situation may be.

So personally, I would hate to see them muck that up by showing "myself" reflected in the visor.