Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Heretic and Hexen

I don't understand how TINTTAB manipulation transformed a timebomb into a wand crystal. ???

More seriously though, what happens to translucent things such as ghost warriors after you've hacked the column drawers somehow?

More seriously though, what happens to translucent things such as ghost warriors after you've hacked the column drawers somehow?

Nothing in this case, because I only modified R_DrawColumn() and not R_DrawTLColumn() (supersampled masked column drawing would be far more complicated anyway, so I have this feature disabled on sprites and masked midtextures).All that's really happening is that it's grabbing two columns from the texture and blending them together in R_DrawColumn(). Additionally, there is another 'frac' variable that is always (fracstep / 2) units ahead so it can grab a sample one half-pixel below, so every pixel on the screen is the result of blending four 'texels' together.

I recently played through all of Heretic. There are some nice bits of level design, right up to the end. But the textures are what gets me; the ice and water textures in particular are really cartoony. This was mostly fixed for Hexen.

Palax said:

Speaking of Heretic level design... I'm going to show you guys my project:
snip
The engine that powers this project is Unreal Engine 4.
Tell me what you guys think.

Nice! I hope you show more.

Jon said:

I recently played through all of Heretic. There are some nice bits of level design, right up to the end. But the textures are what gets me; the ice and water textures in particular are really cartoony. This was mostly fixed for Hexen.

Nice! I hope you show more.

Thanks Jon. I will post soon on a new thread for dedicated to this game with new improvements that I'm making. I agree with you that Heretic had less variety and texture quality than Hexen. What I miss in modern times about these games is the way world levels are built. Mostly they involve a huge terrain that is easy brushable but cannot contain cavities. And while the terrain looks great in many games, you can feel that it is more of the same because the underling programming that renders the terrain is the same. A render programmer would laugh at my obvious statement, but it would miss my artistic complaint.

I'm not a big fan on Hexen, but I loved the original Heretic (and I think it has a way better name)

While neither are bad games, I just feel like fantasy FPS games don't work terribly well.