Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Why does your team always suck?

Now I have noticed for a while that my team in online games 9 times outa 9 always suck major shit through a straw.

I'm not gonna lie, I am a sad as fuck filthy tryhard when it comes to online gaming (well at least as far as killing is concerned, I don't quite care for objectives) so I am usually doing well most of the time, but then I look at my team and they are just straight out of a Laurel and Hardey film. These guys are just eating all of the shit and dying all over the place due to the consistant fact that they straight up can not shoot a guy five foot ahead of them.

Then I look at the enemy team and they are like some unkillable viking lord of brutal murder just clamly walking through the battlefield weilding just a toothpick killing 400 guys with just a displeased glare at them. I am never on that team, I am always against that unstopable force. I don't find it hard myself to fight them off but literally everyone else just sits there and gargles piss at them.

I always end up with a high K/D stat but an extremely pitiful W/L stat in every game.

I can't be the only guy who has this happen to them, right? Do you suffer the same horrible fate online?

Because you're depending on them instead of depending on yourself.

40oz said:

Because you're depending on them instead of depending on yourself.

Maybe... Actually that doesn't explain why they suck, that just explains my shit W/L stats.

Well at least that is half the puzzle solved.

EDIT: I really can't not sound full of myself in this thread. I'm actually trying not to.

Because the team has low enough standards to accept you as a member.

/rimshot

Are you speaking of general online games or Doom in particular?

If all combat related online games are counted then I would say you need a clan or at least make friends with a couple other well performers so you can join games together and the burden of picking up the slack for your team doesn't all rest on you. If you continue to play public games and you're angry you get the short end of the stick well... you sorta just have to accept it. I know because in my favorite online game this often happens to me.

You need to consider these;
1. The other team may actually have friends chatting on team speak or steam etc
2. You need to be more selfish and occasionally team swap and you may notice some players changing teams to better balance the game
3. Your performance alone could be good enough to shift the balance of power to your team despite the higher number of noobs however this results in later joining pro players selecting the opponent team to balance it or just want a challenge. Unfortunately for you there is only so much you can do alone and you completely get overwhelmed.

I play Mount&Blade: Warband quite a lot online and quite often my team has players going half naked and kicking each other for a joke while I'm jumping mid air swinging cavalry dead, shooting my crossbow killing enemies at the other side of the map and often have to melee 2 people at a time like some exaggerated medieval Hero, and if I fail it's very likely the team will soon break apart in moments - which is a shame because not only do I want to have good honest games but there are others in my team who get slaughtered for it when they want the same as I do. I also don't want to feel guilty for "failing" my team.

I guess the moral of the story is - don't take the game too seriously. We need to loosen up.

You sound like those butthurt CoD commentators on youtube. "Oh butt meh STATS! MAH KILL DEATH RATHIO!"

Remember, dominating others online automatically makes you a badass.

@Chezza

Yeah I'm talking about general online gaming.

I used to have a little 3 man squad going we used to call "The Unholy Reign of Rickman" (more of a joke than anything, named it after the fact that are Dark Souls characters were modeled after Alan Rickman and we would ambush unsupecting invaders during seemingly innocent 1v1 duels). We would often go into Battlefield, Halo and all that other shit as a three man squad and just rek.

Then that ended a while ago due to lack of interest from the other two, shame really.

I know what you mean with the whole failing the team aspect, I used to operate the heavy vehicles and arms whilst the other two forged ahead covered by my superior firepower (also used to play medic too). The thing is that if I didn't take those arms in time then they would either be wasted by someone really dumb (One time in BF4, someone manged to flip our tank in the spawn area and kill his whole squad before a single bullet was shot) or taken by the enemy which would usually give me the job of taking out enemy heavies solo to even the tide.

Failing to do either of these crumpled the squad and the team all in one big mess, always felt guilty for that.

But yeah I should stop being such a tryhard for once...

-

RUSH said:

You sound like those butthurt CoD commentators on youtube. "Oh butt meh STATS! MAH KILL DEATH RATHIO!"

Remember, dominating others online automatically makes you a badass.

No denying that I do indeed sound like that.

But I don't see myself as a badass for dominating online. I like to be good at games and there is no denying that it is pretty fucking douchey enjoying your own digital triumpth...

But that is just who I am and how I enjoy my online games.

mrthejoshmon said:

I can't be the only guy who has this happen to them, right? Do you suffer the same horrible fate online?

Same here, I'm always on the losing team. It doesn't really bother me though. So long as I get to shoot people online, I'm happy.

Sometimes my team doesn't suck, but if it does, then i have to do most of the work, however sometimes when i save a teammate of mine who is about to get shot, he returns me the favor back, guess there are some decent players around.

Often times I feel like I'm getting my ass handed to me because the team lacks support. One reason I left TF2 was because of an increase in players being awful. I may not have been the best either, but I often found myself being the only one trying to build defenses or pushing an objective. Everyone else is trying to play super spy or sniper and basically failed to do anything of note. Basically, a mass amount of lone wolves in a team centric game.

Counter Strike is an odder example. Often I find myself on the losing team when it's me who sucks or if the whole team has devolved into cracking jokes and memes while generally not giving a shit. However, when we lose and actually try, oddly enough moral seems to be the deciding factor. If we start to lose and keep losing and start hitting a shit fest of who is to blame, we lose more. However, staying positive rather beings the team together and work a better more intelligently.

Maybe, OP, you just need to use chat functions and get everyone looking on the brightside.

I don't know about online games... but I tend to notice how the Philadelphia Flyers are the only team in the NFL who are incapable of scoring in a breakaway. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOOT IT PAST THE FUCKING GOALIE YOU HAD SEVERAL SECONDS TO LINE UP YOUR SHOT, WHAT THE FUCK FUCKING HEXTALL COULD FIND THE NET BETTER THAN YOU

In no particular order:

1) Lone wolves who do their own thing who don't help others in need if they're able to revive a teammate. (IE Firefall, Left 4 Dead)

2) People fucking around and not going for objectives in team based games (IE Chivalry: MW).

3) Only killing in a team based, infinite lives based game/mode.

4) Not coordinating or planning with teammates.

5) Like #2 but doing more irritating things such as abusing voice chat, playing music on the mic and intentionally teamkilling.

6) Blaming everyone else but themselves for losing a match.

Bucket said:

I don't know about online games... but I tend to notice how the Philadelphia Flyers are the only team in the NFL who are incapable of scoring in a breakaway. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOOT IT PAST THE FUCKING GOALIE YOU HAD SEVERAL SECONDS TO LINE UP YOUR SHOT, WHAT THE FUCK FUCKING HEXTALL COULD FIND THE NET BETTER THAN YOU

Rofl you must be my co-worker.

To the OP:
I don't care about winning or losing so much anymore, as long as my K/D ratio is positive (for deathmatch) at least I know I'm not hurting my team. For objective-based matches I'm usually sneaking around stealing objectives so I rarely get bored enough to get pissed at my team. In BF3-or-4 I used to just go around and snipe the snipers, heh. CS was all about the pistol, for me. Take that awp and I'll hunt you relentlessly, lol. I hate campers and cheap players more than a shitty team.

antares031 said:

Do not trust the matchmaking systems designed by Wargaming. Plus, if you're having problems with your team, just play FFA.

Sadly WoT doesn't have a true FFA mode right now. And the MM system from WG is something I can only laugh at now, with all sorts of tier imbalance and weighting.

Fonze said:

CS was all about the pistol, for me. Take that awp and I'll hunt you relentlessly, lol.
I hate campers and cheap players more than a shitty team.

This, i hate snipers, seriously, if you can't play with anything else than a sniper rifle, you suck and are a coward.
Not to mention those lame ass campers who take every opportunity they can, they hide while i pass and get killed by them, it's frustating.
And the cheap players are even worse, they either use the most powerful guns in the game or they just spam explosives, seriously what a bunch of suckers.
Although when i kill them sometimes, they ragequit, lol, get mad loser.

Besides the reasons listed above on why a team sucks (especially just overall tryhards giving up on the first signs of losing, even if a match still has a ways to go), another reason i've seen people suck on my end is because I judge them too highly on what to do.

I'm an expert on TF2, being the best at sniper. I go Sniper whenever i have confidence that my team can do the objective, while i pick out targets rapidly. I have confidence that my team can defend the objective. I have confidence that they can perform basic functional planning like Not running to a crowd of pyroes when you're a soldier.

And now i outnumber play hours as Engi instead of Sniper by 20 hours.

You see, the mindset you have to go to when playing any public server is this:
"Hope your team is the best in the galaxy, but prepare for your team being unbearably god-awful."
Go in expecting your team can carry. If they can't, alter your tactics and be the carrier or at least supporter. You'll have a much more tolerable gameplay when trying this. Once a team gets their shit together (if ever this happens), then you can go back to the playstyle you had before.

Although this doesn't always happen, unfortunately. I've been to a team of, pardon my language, LOBOTOMIZED SHITHEADS that can't even defend an objective or even go around a corner without having their brains being a museum display. This is what you call a bad day.

But honestly, if shit is TOO SHITTY to comprehend, just play the game you usually do, and don't care of the lost. If you know your just going to lose no matter how hard you try to teach the team the honored ways of Not Sucking, just play.

Altazimuth said:

I know I've been guilty of this a few times, fortunately I usually realize it soon after. For example, a round starts and I immediately take a route. I run into an overwhelming group of enemies and get killed pretty early. I think "where the hell are my allies!?" - then I step back and notice that I just ran on my own assuming they would follow without any communication. I was being the suicidal clueless fool and yet my natural reaction was to question my team.

It also hurts to spectate the last couple of newer players fight as they constantly miss opportunities or a bit clueless of their surroundings while I'm confident I would guarantee a haste victory in their shoes - however I had to be an idiot and charge on my own because I'm a self proclaimed God :/