Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The New Mancubus (Sucks)

I don't like the new mancubus, at least as it looks in the videos so far. It reminds of a cartoony cross between the Doom 64 version and the Warcraft III undead abomination. I would've preferred it if they stayed more faithful to the original sprite design from Doom II. Am I alone in thinking this?

I liked the Doom 3 version best with it's Cthulhu influence. But the new Mancubus design also isn't bad. The original Doom II version is a bit boring, it looks like an Oger.

No, you are not.

But I'm ok with it, it kinda works, for some reason, I'm guessing it's because I still find his belly as dusgisting as it has always been, but it would've been better if he had different facial features.

This new mancubus looks kinda like a dumb fat kid who eats too much, the classic mancubus looked angrier and more inteliggent, like a big fat bully.

Tetzlaff said:

I liked the Doom 3 version best with it's Cthulhu influence. But the new Mancubus design also isn't bad. The original Doom II version is a bit boring, it looks like an Oger.

That's true. I did actually like some aspects of the Doom 3 version of the mancubus. It was different, but it still had the trunk-like legs and I liked the faithfulness of the design of the arms as well. The only objection is that I thought the projectiles it fired seems light and flimsy and would've preferred some sort of fireball.

there are some other demons that look really cartoonish

on the one side you have really nice looking enemies like the lost soul or hellknight and on the ot her side you have cartoonish enemies like the mancubus or the pinky

The Mancubus from the Doom Board game seems to be what it could come out from combining the mancubus from Doom2 and Doom3, I even think that something like this would've been better, but I'm still ok with what they've done now and I'm also curious to experience and encounter with him.

Xerge said:

I'm still ok with what they've done now and I'm also curious to experience and encounter with him.

I see what you did there (and I approve).

The main problem is that the demons with a cartoony design stick out like a sore thumb among the better-designed enemies in the game.

I think you feel he is cartoonish because he looks kinda dumb, just guessing.

What I worry about is that ID doesn't actually think making too much changes on appearence everytime they make a new Doom game is a good idea, if you make a very different look for the same bad guys everytime you make a new game it destroys the coherence of the franchise and I think it's important to try to stick to that coherence, otherwise you could feel like you are not playing a sequel but rather a remake or another reboot.

My best suggestion to ID would be to make new demons instead of drastically changing their appearence.

I like the mancubus i have no problems with him. Like some of you here I was hoping for a Cthulhu inspired face but I'm happy with the final outcome. Believe it or not the Mancubus in the originals wasn't my favorite design "face wise". The face just looked like an angry fat guy with glowing eyes. I actually like Doom2016 mancubus more than doom & DoomII's. The only problem I have design wise is the cyberdeamon, but I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I'm on the fence about it. I love the original mancubus and the D3 version was really grotesque and well designed too. Now that flamethrower mancubi are confirmed in addition to the acid variants I'm pleased and the armor is a nice addition. The face on the other hand is a straight rip of the Snark enemy from a Half-Life and gives it more of an alien appearance versus a hellish one, which as noted above makes him stick out against the other enemies and background. Hopefully when we have the final product in our hands in motion things will even out.

At the end of the day as long as he's a formidable enemy and makes a nice gurgling sound when he dies I'll enjoy playing shotgun tag with him just the same.

Job said:

I don't like the new mancubus, at least as it looks in the videos so far. It reminds of a cartoony cross between the Doom 64 version and the Warcraft III undead abomination. I would've preferred it if they stayed more faithful to the original sprite design from Doom II. Am I alone in thinking this?

No, you're not alone. This is my exact reaction to the Mancubus as well. He was always extremely fat and ugly. In Doom 2016 he's still fat, but in more of a cuddly cartoon kind of way. I can live with it though, unlike the shit Cyberdemon design. The animation where you rip his heart out and shove it down his throat is pretty badass as well. But you already know all about deep throating when it comes to the Mancubus.

So I just asked someone who is not really a fan (the last Doom game he enjoyed and played is Doom 64) and asked his opinion about this new mancubus, when I showed it to him he exclaimed "is THAT a Mancubus?" so I said "yeah, what do you think about it?" and he said he always thought that the mancubus was supposed to be some sort of fat zombie creature.

Xerge said:

he said he always thought that the mancubus was supposed to be some sort of fat zombie creature.

Pretty much. He's always seemed more like a really gross fat zombie than a demon to me.

Why the fat dude gotta be a zombie? Not all demons are thin and beautiful. Stop Fat-shaming demons you horrible people.

Some of the fanart is better than the official model, but I like it. I suppose he doesn't seem quite as pissed as the original. That's something that bugging me just a tiny bit. The cacodemons and of course the cyberdemon don't seem as hate-filled, either, but most of the others do. I dunno why that's so important, but I guess that sort of demonic rage gave the characters a certain personality.

I always thought the cacodemon was more "Happy" than "Angry", his grin seemed like a sadistic grin, as if he was thinking he'd had so much fun killing you. He almost looked like a sadistic child to me.

I was kind of upset at first of how the mancubus looked with the single eye and the ant-pincers on the sides of its mouth but it has really grown on me.

A fat demon with flamethrowers for arms is kind of open to interpretation.

It's not like it's skinny and has wings and flies around and stuff. At the end of the day, it's still a rotund demon that shoots fireballs. And hey, this time there's a green one that shoots acid. I'm cool with it

In all honesty I'd probably be bitching if it wasn't cartoony.

TheWizard said:

Does it really matter? He's going to end up in a puddle of goo after ya fuck 'em up anyways.

dafuq :D do you even doom :D

the complete design of.. everything is one of the most important things