Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

Ok, so based on how things are going for me right now, there's no way in hell I'm gonna make the deadline. Too many projects to work on! I will, however, finish up my map (eventually) and then release it standalone or something along those lines.

Done! First attempt to make map in general.

Map name: Oscuro Rayo
Difference in skill are included.
Music: Crawling Vermin by Maxime Tondreau (from CChest4 Map29)

Get Wad: twx2map16.wad
Screenshots:

Spoiler

P.S. Heh... I guess mapping isn't mine stuff. Think so... ughm...

I noticed a simple error in my map after tweaking it (a door gets stuck due to a trap) that I will fix and update the links for. The delayed Revenant teleporter could also be done better.

Azuruish said:

P.S. Heh... I guess mapping isn't mine stuff. Think so... ughm...

...what? Why would you say that? Your map looked fantastic! There was perhaps a few too many imps and revenants, but hey, it was good fun and really looks great considering the texture limitations!

Uhh..

Let me see what I can do with this in one week... This is really hard for me, I got hellish floors and brick textures, two of which are light sources. :S
Is asking for theme ideas considered cheating? haha.

Final iteration, now I'm done. Other links won't work, so OP needs to be updated.

I added the Mancubus fight like RDWPA suggested. Difficulty levels are very apparent. It's a little tougher than before and I added some switches to unbreak the level from traps.

Please let this be the end of it.

If you need a name, let's just go with "A Slice of BROWNPIP"

Royal_Sir said:

Dude, you've only got a week... Hope you make it.

Hahahaha :D I mean, are you serious? :P have you seen my works? I'm the master of speedmapping!

Well, not literally - my contributions does not always play well, but in terms of visuals, layout and flow, I doubt I have reason to complain.

Dragonfly said:

...what? Why would you say that? Your map looked fantastic! There was perhaps a few too many imps and revenants, but hey, it was good fun and really looks great considering the texture limitations!

Oh yea? Thanks. Anyway inspired by Sunder (Map11) and Chillax (Map08). Would like to add more texture variations if was available.

Edit: And yeah... Deadline must be extended otherwise only 7-10 maps will be in project.

Azuruish said:

And yeah... Deadline must be extended otherwise only 7-10 maps will be in project.

I agree… It's better to take our time to ensure we can produce the best results, AND, clearly life gets in the way of most of us, so there's little to no time left to work on this thing.

Katamori it's supposed to be 4 random textures and flats, you only got 3. That said, enjoy the added challenge!

As you can see, the generator gave me only three. I wonder I'm gonna add new choices based on what I'm going to create. I think (or at least hope) it's not a serious "cheat".

If it is, I'm gonna release my map for my Somewhere in Time mapset, anyway.

Because of many asks to do so, the deadline is extended to 29th March. Katamori, I will give you the textures tomorrow! ;)

FDA and SDA for Walter's level.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wretkd8xkrn6zia/rantex_rdwpa_xda.rar?dl=1

I got trapped out of the very first area because the bars lowered too close to the trigger line, so had to rerecord. Both of those lines (the door close and the monster teleport triggers) should be adjacent to vertex 661 or something. I suck today and take oodles of unforced damage while punching things but the difficulty seemed fine/balanced/etc.

Katamori said:

With extended deadline, it's okay then.

- STEPTOP
- COMPBLUE
- EXITSIGN
- GRAY4
- i think these are pretty shit so choose one more texture at your own will

- CEIL4_3
- RROCK02
- FLOOR4_5
- RROCK18

These are indeed awful, but my door and switch choice are able to justify it a bit. Gonna try out something with the 4 original plus the 2 own choices.

Katamori said:

These are indeed awful, but my door and switch choice are able to justify it a bit. Gonna try out something with the 4 original plus the 2 own choices.

One choice only, so for instance if you get STEP1, 2, 3, 4, you may only get 1 more texture such as STEP5. Door and traks are a separate texture. I don't understand why you said two?

rdwpa said:

FDA and SDA for Walter's level.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wretkd8xkrn6zia/rantex_rdwpa_xda.rar?dl=1

I got trapped out of the very first area because the bars lowered too close to the trigger line, so had to rerecord. Both of those lines (the door close and the monster teleport triggers) should be adjacent to vertex 661 or something. I suck today and take oodles of unforced damage while punching things but the difficulty seemed fine/balanced/etc.

Thanks for the demos! Fixed the door lines:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/imijliy1h03i68f/rantex.wad

DoomLover234 said:

I don't understand why you said two?

Door is one, and DOORSTOP is another one, as you said, thus 1+1=2

BETA 1 IS OUT! GRAB IT HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5mu708g0jaaxh6a/TextXtra.wad

In this beta, I compiled 7 maps submitted to this project so far. If you encounter any bugs with textures due to my limited knowledge of merging TEXTURE1 and PNAMES, let me know.

Map order for now:

MAP01 - unnamed             - Dragonfly           - A small map, gives you a shotgun, and it's pretty easy.
MAP02 - A Slice of BROWNPIP - Doom14              - Lower in monster count, but introduces higher-tier monsters, as well as the chaingun (and the rocket launcher in the secret).
MAP03 - Putrescence         - walter confalonieri - Increase in monster count. Introduces the SSG and Arch-Vile.
MAP04 - Technological Rocks - joe-ilya            - A bit harder than Putrescence, gives you all of the said weapons, but it's still easier of BROWNPIP.
MAP05 - Green Flow          - Pinchy              - Increase in monster count. Didn't get far, but it's a step up.
MAP06 - unnamed             - rdwpa               - Increase in monster count. Open map with lots of crossfire. Step up.
MAP07 - Oscuro Rayo         - Azuruish            - The true slaughter map. The top. Hard as hell.
-------------
Joe's map IS easier than Doom14's, but since you don't get an SSG on that map, it's MAP02, while joe's map is MAP04
So, this is my to-do list:
- Make a MAPINFO lump and a DEH lump for the map names
- Make a map myself "',..,'"
- Reorganize TEXTURE and PNAMES
- Hope to God I do well on the exam tomorrow

To be honest, maps 02, 03 and 04 were bleeding design-wise for my taste, but the rest are all great maps! Hard to tell about most of the maps that so limited texture base is used.

Good luck to the others! (including myself, lol)