Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

johnnyledger1 said:

Dragonfly's map was the coolest usage of a Wolf 3d environment i have ever seen. That was a blast. Close corners but the color usage was amazing.

Wow thank you!

DoomLover234 said:

MAP01 - unnamed - Dragonfly - A small map, gives you a shotgun, and it's pretty easy.

Hmm. I would like it if you could please name my map 'Restriction'. Cheers! :D

Also, best of luck in your exam(s)!

Pinchy, played through your map. You used door textures for walls as well; I did not really allow that. I understand that you got a gross set but... wait you do not have any doors do you? So the door texture is just an ordinary texture... right?

imo, if you allow people to use a door texture of their choice, you should just let them use it wherever. Some people (me included) don't like using doors, you know!

AD_79 said:

imo, if you allow people to use a door texture of their choice, you should just let them use it wherever. Some people (me included) don't like using doors, you know!

Hm, fair point you got there. But still I think that may be too much thingies allowed... but okay. Who wants to use a door texture, use it.

The amount of textures is extremely limited, thus I think you should allow their usage any ways possible for Boom/LR compatibility.

I am working slowly on my map. It won't be great, but good enough.

My map is progressing at a snail's pace. Biggest problem for me is that my brain can't think in terms of a single texture for an entire area, so my motivation plummets if I can't spend time "prettying up" up the architecture. Hopefully I'll make it to the finish line in time.

Aw shit. I completely forgot about this.
Yeah, I won't be able to do the thing on time... Real sorry guys, gonna have to drop out.

this is a really neat project. only map I got to play so far was Pinchy's, which I thought was awesome

edit: little bugfix on Pinchy's map actually, not sure if it's been mentioned. the 64x64 lift with the teleporting archvile doesn't seem to have its sky transfer set

I shall choose the number 14 (Because It's my register number)
I'd be happy to get a rock texture and a gravel texture, I am going to make the map in Doom Builder 2!
It's sad that it needs to be in Boom, because i like the slopes and 3D floors.

Time for a major overhaul!

Since the interest in this project is lost, I will be removing the deadline. Finish your maps whenever you please if you want. I will do my best to release my submission on Monday. Until then, well, get back on your pace and finish your map everyone

DoomLover234 said:

Since the interest in this project is lost, I will be removing the deadline. Finish your maps whenever you please if you want. I will do my best to release my submission on Monday. Until then, well, get back on your pace and finish your map everyone

Hey, i still want to make a map!
Can you give me the textures? I will be good!

olekopyto said:

Hey, i still want to make a map!
Can you give me the textures? I will be good!

I saw it, I will give you textures in a moment. Look for an edit on this post in about 5 minutes for textures.

DoomLover234 said:

Look for an edit on this post in about 5 minutes for textures.

Five minutes are long gone... :(

olekopyto said:

Five minutes are long gone... :(

Strike me with a sledgehammer, I forgot.

- STEPTOP
- COMPBLUE
- EXITSIGN
- GRAY4
- some other texture perhaps since these suck

- CEIL4_3
- RROCK02
- FLOOR4_5
- RROCK18

DoomLover234 said:

Since the interest in this project is lost, I will be removing the deadline.

Could be for the best, could also doom the mapset to be eternally "pending"... at least it'll give plenty of people more time to work on their maps! I'm still shooting to complete mine before April

olekopyto said:

There is my WAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/p7zfltw3rqbqj97/Mines.wad
It's a mines map, best to be played on hard.

UV FDA: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7li2rijz4o51crg/mines_rdwpa_fda.lmp

-- Aesthetics: Decent use of lighting contrast, decent detailing. There are random strips of Startan everywhere. I'm not sure if that's intentional, since it's (GZ)DB's default texture and sometimes gets inserted automatically after certain functions. There are also some horizontal alignment issues here and there (with the gray blocks, mostly) and some vertical alignment issues at various ceiling height changes. Door tracks should be lower-unpegged so that they don't move with the door -- not a good-looking effect here.

-- The amount of health/ammo seemed excessive. The megapshere secret in particular made me think, "Why?" You can remove a lot of the excess supplies -- not so the map is harder, but so the player feels less coddled and doesn't start expecting a big fight that never happens. I think I took damage once early on, and decided at that point to try not to take damage for the rest of the map.

-- Probably the biggest challenge in the map was making sure not to fall in the YK area. People who don't find the megasphere secret early on might find it quite annoying because it looks like there might be something (a secret) back there, if you shimmy along the wall, but there isn't, so it'll just be a waste of time. Also the inescapable pit seems out of keeping with the rest of the level. The imp back there is stuck. I looked at the map in GZDB, and the linedef to the "tunnel" back there is impassable, so it seems like there's a decent chance the player will just fall into the pit if s/he tries to get back there, which is dickish.

-- The RK ambush doesn't quite work because the spectres can't climb the stairs to chomp on the player. Would suggest replacing all of those with a mix of imps and former human troopers/sergeants or something similar.

-- The nature of the layout and direct placement of all of the monsters means that pretty much all the combat with mid-tier opposition is going to be a timesink. It didn't feel so egregious because there was only a caco, a manc, a baron, and two revs, and most of the opposition was low-HP. But the map might play better if you replace some of those with low-tier monsters; the exit baron was my least favorite. The layout and placement is really designed for the chaingun and single shotgun to be the primary weapons and for all of the opposition to low-tier. That being said, the biggest thing is that the map is crying for some kind of teleport trap, particularly in the mine area when the player approaches the YK area. A manc or something could warp in to block the door (replacing the other manc), and a variety of lower-tier monsters and perhaps a rev/HK or two could warp in elsewhere in the shaft.

DoomLover234 said:

I'd suggest not removing the deadline for reasons already outlined. Lack of any deadlines gives the project permission to become stagnant and forgotten about.. :P

olekopyto said:

Did you test your map? It's isn't completable; unless I'm doing something wrong?

Below is a series of screenshots showing issues which outline my issues with the map so far.

My dear sir, sorry for pissing you of with incomplete maps.
Now every linedef is carefully lined with asbestos, making it ever so safe from the big bad switch glitch.
I very much appreciate all of your beta testing.
I've also added an outdoor area, witch is now the new starting area.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Other changes include:
-Fixing minor bugs,
-Adding better lightning,
-More pickups in the mine area,
-More enemies in the said area,
-One more secret.
___________________________________________________________________________________
BTW. DoomLover234, can you add my nick and link for my map onto the first page, next to my number?

Did. I would provide some feedback and edit the first post, but since my PC crashed (playing Doom while Java notified me of an update = freeze)

olekopyto said:

-snip-

You got a download link for the new version?

DoomLover234 said:

I understand that, Dragonfly, but trust me.

Alrighty!