Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

NEW BETA IS OUT PEOPLE!

Get it at http://www.mediafire.com/download/aznh77019pfphk4/TextXtra.zip

Since I was very bored, I decided to play with Whacked a bit, and made some changes, including the .bex file.

CHANGES:

.BEX FILE
- Item picking strings are completely changed, but recognizable
- Map strings added
- Monster BOSSBACK strings replaced

Main WAD
- Fixed missing sky in Pinchy's map.
- Added olekopyto's map in MAP02, since Dragonfly's map is a perfect opener and doesn't contain a chaingun, while olekopyto's map has one.
- Fixed TEXTURE1 and PNAMES (YEEEY)
- Added CWILV graphics, already polished them. Not a big update so EDIT

Kill me.

Due to not updating the OP, Katamori and olekopyto got the same set of textures.

Since Olekopyto already made his map, I am afraid we cannot change his textures, so Katamori, forgive me, but I need to give you another set.

Choose one of the numbers.

God dammit, Johnson!
Sorry for not uploading the final version, internet issues (Protip! Never put routers or any other electronics in places reachable by gerbils)
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rgfg81qm4u7vkrc/Mines_FINAL.wad
DoomLover, I'm afraid you need do something to put the final version inside of Beta, i can borrow some tape.
I deeply regret doing many things that led in some manner to this situation.

I appreciate that, olekopyto. I can do it myself, thanks anyways. Have to sleep where I live, I will update this tomorrow (possibly).

Played the new maps I haven't played before, thanks to the new beta. While I still like rdwpa's map the best, Pinchy did some really good work with his contribution (there's some questionable aspects to it but they're negligible), so kudos to him. Most of the others seem to fiddle with the concept but not go far with it, or have quirky mapping tendencies, so it looks like the set is primed to be another off-kilter MAYhem2013/Monochrome Mapping Project-style wad (interesting concepts with bumpy execution). Azuruish makes perhaps the most striking map of the set but it has some really baffling monster & item placement, so much so that I don't think I have it in me to detail a critique—there's promise there, but it definitely plays like a haphazard interpretation of Sunder.

I'm still working on my map for the project, but I agree with Dragonfly that there should be a limit for this project. Not a hard deadline per se, but at least a quick glance to see who else is currently working on a map.

Is anybody still there?
I've sent the project to Aquarius199, so he can review it (don't you worry, I also told him that it is still in beta.

Don't worry, Aquarius199 only plays crappy WADs. My wads rot in his inbox for a year now...

I am working on my map. Due to the shittiest set in the WAD with not a single real texture, I am manipulating everything I can.

AnonimVio said:

Drop me out of the project.

Awwwww, your map looked really cool!

How many people remain now, 4 or so?

olekopyto said:

Well, you have me and the other guy.
BTW, why did you put my old wad in beta?

Because the beta was made two days before you made your final release. For the next beta (when me and some other guys make maps - yes, me and dobu aren't the only ones making a map), I will update your map alongside others.

Almost done. Gameplay is all set, so I just gotta put the final touches on the tower. It miiiight be the hardest map I've made yet—I'll have to see what other people think.

Rightio, it's ready for playtesting.

Download Alchemist's Tower.

Don't even bother with FDAs since the map is extremely unkind towards the uninitiated—I highly recommend playing in skill 2 or 3 until you get a feel for the level layout and where the megaspheres are. The incubator fight in particular is likely to kick your ass until you memorize the spawn times (though I feel that it's a bit too easy... but that might just be me spiraling down the well of sadism). I think the lower difficulties are appropriately tuned, but having people that aren't me test it would be helpful.

Pretty great-looking map. It's sort of as if tourniquet had a brother or something (reminds me of the NOVA 2 map32 area, with all the terraces), and AD_79's DNA were mixed in (lots of non-90- and -45-degree geometry).

Some notes based on UV playthrough:

-- Am I missing something or is that a mandatory arch-vile jump? If so, there's basically one strategy anyone who knows the map will begin with, and it's grinding for the AV jump and heading right to the RL pit from the outset, immediately resetting if that goes wrong. You can imagine how fun that is. :) It's certainly preferable to killing ~200 monsters or so and finding out that the AV is dead and the map can't be completed, or messing up the AV jump there. The map would be better off if that were lowered on a timer, maybe three or so minutes. Speedrunners could still AV jump grind I suppose.

-- CS2 map02-inspired end fight is cool but it's really easy to get stuck against the curvy impassable lines while picking up ammo, which is irritating. Ammo should be slightly closer to the center, or something.

Here's a -cl 9 playthrough (non-FDA) that I didn't finish.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3iyatgjkunjkyvi/alctow_rdwpa_maxat.lmp

The last fight kicks my ass a bunch of times; I'm not sure how to beat that one. It would be ideal if the cyber distracted both viles but that seems a bit luck-based. The viles are really hard to actually hit since the impassable lines keep them from coming out far, which is a problem with the setup. It would be ideal if the blocking lines were situated one 'row' closer than they are.

Anyway, this'll be a really good map once the changes are made. ;)

Nah, the AV jump isn't mandatory—you can skirt around the first cyber's outer platform to make it to the soulsphere ledge (I tried to illuminate it and use candles as a hint). It's a bit obtuse but I was really trying to force a way for the player to fight most of the enemies before progressing, even though I knew the AV jump was possible. After watching your incubator fight, I probably will have to fiddle with it and make it tougher by only have 1 megasphere or something (it was only today that I tried using the PG for it and was surprised at its efficacy). And I dunno about that last fight... in your demo you were moving around frantically which kept letting the AVs get their hits off on you. I generally goad them towards one end of the arena, let them start casting, and then head towards the other end. And while they're hard to hit behind the pillars, my fear is that moving them up further will make it even easier to target the player, which is also a bit of a crap-shoot since you can't keep both of them in your sights at all times. Maybe I'll tweak it.

Good call on moving the ammo boxes around too.

EDIT: Oh man I just went back to look at the CS2 encounter you mentioned and literally laughed out loud in that I had unconsciously copied danne's setup. Oopsies

Dobu, your map is stunning! It's beautiful and pretty fun as well! This and rdwpa's contribution are my favourites so far!

Working on my map, don't worry, about 40% done right now.

Okay, I finally made a map. Goddamnit, this was harder than it needed to be. Anyway, the map is technically complete, but I still haven't got a name or a midi for it and the teleport traps look like garbage. Other than that, I've tested the map in HNTR, HMP and UV. HNTR may be a bit too easy, but I'm really bad at judging that, HMP is difficult, but doable, and UV is the "fuck you" difficulty. All three can be completed.

- GRAY4
- DBRAIN1
- GSTONE1
- DOORTRAK
- door, switch, any texture because trak

- FLAT10
- RROCK18
- FLOOR7_1
- TLITE6_5

Really nice to see a new claimant! And a new map too! Solarn, I will play it tomorrow since it is kinda late here. And don't worry, I give you all the time for the midi/name.

Oh, by the way, can I get a second slot? Because if so I'd like to take #28 on the basis that nothing can be worse than having to work with ZZWOLF10 and FLAT17.

Solarn said:

Oh, by the way, can I get a second slot? Because if so I'd like to take #28 on the basis that nothing can be worse than having to work with ZZWOLF10 and FLAT17.

Well, since most of the mappers lost interest, why not? You can make multiple maps. But three is maximum for now.

You will get the textures tomorrow - it is late here so yeah. Sorry.

Solarn said:

Okay, I finally made a map. Goddamnit, this was harder than it needed to be. Anyway, the map is technically complete, but I still haven't got a name or a midi for it and the teleport traps look like garbage. Other than that, I've tested the map in HNTR, HMP and UV. HNTR may be a bit too easy, but I'm really bad at judging that, HMP is difficult, but doable, and UV is the "fuck you" difficulty. All three can be completed.

HMP is somewhat easy. Played quite sloppily in places, but was never really in serious danger. Glancing at GZDB* I'll take your word for UV, though, and maybe give it a go with saves another time.

HMP FDA.

*Teleport traps are faster when the lines are oriented in the direction the monster will naturally go. Here for example the teleport dummy sectors is on the east side of the player, and the monsters will naturally path west to approach the player, but the monsters have to go south to teleport; the dummy sectors should be either flipped 90-degrees clockwise or moved to the north of the map.