Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

Here's an update to Alchemist's Tower

Basically did the things rdwpa suggested, and swapped out a megasphere in the furnace battle for a soulsphere to account for the PG's suppression (and threw in two more revs). I tried putting a megasphere before the final battle but it lets you just tank your way through it, so I put a green armor in there for those that need it. Ideally, this is the final version.

olekopyto said:

Nobody cares about me :(

That's a pretty immature statement. People may not have had the chance to play the wad(s) you uploaded.

I tried your new map. Interesting layout, although I feel some of the doors were difficult to identify, most probably due to the texture limitation. The spider mastermind was stuck and couldn't move or attack, making him useless/pointless. Overall the map was pretty good.

olekopyto your map is broken in prBoom+. SR/S1/WR/W1/GR/G1 actions need to have tags other than zero, set up with the corresponding sector. When you map in Boom format you should test your maps in prBoom+.

dobu gabu maru:
I look at your map and look at mine.
I notice the diffrence.
Mine looks like crap. It's boring, too easy and looks like it was made by an baboon with a severe muscular dystrophy, who is also wearing asbestos.
But yours is lovely! It is hard, intresting, looks like an official doom map (if they only had gzdoom and gzdoom builder back then...)! My favourite is the scrolling walls, the weird lightning stairs and the plasma rifle. I love the plasma rifle!
rdwpa:
I never heard of prBoom+, gotta test it out, anyway it crashes in Boom and spews out"R_TextureNumForName:: 0 not found" error. Gotta investigate. Probably something to do with textures.
Dragonfly:
Sorry man, i just had a very sad day at school.

If you want to make your map look better, you should add lighting variation. It can make a world of difference, without even many structural changes or even lots of gradient sectors. This is your map after just three minutes of touch-ups:

You can see the difference already. The one structural change I'd recommend is getting of the SPBODIES wall, which looks kind of garish.

Anyway, something along these lines would really help.

And now, for the links!
This is my Full Frontal map with few fixes and a Cyberdemon:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dlyfpqrbx365c0n/FULLFRONTALc.wad
And for those who wish to keep the Spidey but like the new bugfixes, I got you covered:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/34413ix02qlzhro/FULLFRONTALs.wad
Also, the old Mines map got a new bugfix:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1l1jstk3390532/Mines%282%29.wad
Now it officially supports the old Boom source port!
Also, rdwpa, thanks for your idea!
I am implementing these new fancy lightning as we speak!

Alright, a few things olekopyto.

Firstly, you really should be updating your maps only a handful of times. That Mines map is on what, it's 5th or 6th update now? Providing so many links in such a short time is a real hassle for the community leader & testers, and you should never provide a link when you say you're going to update it shortly. Second, like rdwpa mentioned, is that you should be mapping for the project guidelines when you contribute a map. Third, is that I'm not even sure what to say about this one.

The Mines is short and inoffensive enough that its gameplay is mostly "whatever", but this one... I dunno. I like the idea of the star-shaped arena, but combat doesn't feel like it's well thought-out and it can be easy to miss where the "doors" are. Additionally, the YK really should just open up all the interior of the star, the cyber platform shouldn't be damaging, and no secret shouldn't be mandatory for beating the map (you can't beat the cyber without the additional cell). Other than that I think it's alright, thought I certainly don't fancy playing it again.

Sorry, I am very new to this community. Only registered in late march.
Also i decided to make one BIG update so it won't be confusing anymore.

Hey, Doomlover, can you not put my new wad in the next beta (although, please put the update of my old one in)

I had a terrible weekend. My PC cannot start up. I hope to God we manage to fix it before the next week. And I was so excited with Windows 7... but at least now we know that it's because of the motherboard.

Olekopyto, what's the name of your new map?

If you need me to compile the next beta, I'll do that, at the very least so that people don't keep playing the version of my map with a messed-up sky. :D

Go ahead. I am not that skilled with XWE but now I will finally be able to install Slade. ;)

olekopyto said:

This map is broken, lol.

And the other version you posted is, too.

Whatever, I'm going to make the basic fixes to the latest version you posted myself.

Your new map won't be compiled yet, because it's not finished.

Two things:

1) I would suggest you focus exclusively on Mines. Less is more -- one decent map is better than two lackluster maps. The gameplay can still be tuned up in many ways: a warp-in encounter in the last area, a reduction in blocking decorations in the active playspace, a change in the damage of the lava pits that aren't inescapable from 20% to 10% (there's literally no reason for it to be 20%, and it comes off as a more annoying than anything). The blue armor secret is also useless except for continuous play, which is sort of a weird thing to do to the map right after you. That should be a green armor at most.

2) Anyway, I fixed it, and it's completable now.

They're snachin' your windows!
They're climbin' your people up!
My "Full Frontal" map is finally done!
It's right here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xxg38v3pzi8gwd8/Grzeg%C5%BC%C3%B3%C5%82ka.zip
And now... for something not that diffrent! My old Mines map is FINALLY DONE!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9gsbmqf63j92ujp/Mines.zip
There you go!
Now i'd like to thank everyone that helped me test my maps, you all did a great job!

Yes! Finally, my PC is working!!!!!

I cannot express how happy I am!

Downloading your beta right now!

Of course we're here! I mean do you have to post every day?

I posted here because i am waiting for my video to render.
Sorry if I made you angry, didn't mean to.

Don't worry, you didn't make be angry.

Just that there's no need to bump this.

Also I am slowly working on my contribution!

Some more progress, I hate working on this. I just need to balance out Monsters/Health/Ammo and it's complete, should be done today or tomorrow.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Some more progress, I hate working on this. I just need to balance out Monsters/Health/Ammo and it's complete, should be done today or tomorrow.

I like your usage of door texture on the stairs there!