Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

How do I play a LAN game of doom.

I don't care if it's zdoom, gzdoom,zandronum, zdameon anything. I just want to play with my brother. I port forwarded. This shouldn't be a fucking full time job. Fuck! Please. Does my ISP block ports? I'm so frustrated I literally want to cry.

Is this what everyone goes through? What is the point spending 50+ hours making a map if I can't even play it with a friend?

Please... any suggestions will be helpful. I'm going to sleep. My soul hurts from the Hell on Earth that is Doom Multiplayer.

My ISP is charter. I have a Belkin 307c router. Ports are forwarded to 10666.

Like I said ANY WAY TO PLAY 1on1 with my brother. Do I have to make a server? How come if I want to play diablo I can just put my IP in and just connect. What am I doing wrong?

Search and read:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-multiplayer/85750-what-is-the-best-multiplayer-port-for-lan/

Btw, LAN also works very easily in PrBoom+ if you're farmiliar with setting up parameters (I use PrBoom+ and GlBoom+ in conjunction to test multiplayer on my laptop alone). PrBoom+ is not the best lag-wise, but I have had very few problems with it and they could have just been attributed to the old laptop that was hosting the LAN.

ZDoom will not do LAN to my knowledge, which means it would require a port to be forwarded, but straight LAN does not require that. Odamex and Zand might do you right with LAN games, check them out.

If you're both connected to the same router and network, it should be as simple as starting a server on one PC via Doomseeker or IDE, then using Doomseeker/IDE to query the server and join. The server browser should be able to see it on both your PC and the other PC on the same network.

There's no reason that shouldn't work, but if you really have to Doom Legacy will let you play splitscreen.

I'm not at my PC currently but from what I can make out of that screen it appears to be set up properly. I'll give an easy step by step once at the computer, that should help.

Doomkid said:

I'm not at my PC currently but from what I can make out of that screen it appears to be set up properly. I'll give an easy step by step once at the computer, that should help.

Thanks, that's peaches (en regalia)!

I was just talking about LAN. I don't think port matters. Like you said, just had to be on the same network. I have all but given up on hosting.

Doomkid said:

(also nice Zappa reference :)

Love me some Zappa. Sometimes I think they bare the greatest and I'm usually right, just a lot of sifting. Maybe I need to sit down and listen to some. I got about 15 songs or so that I really dig. Zappa was a job. I like that. If I had that kind of motivation I would be a way better guitarist than I am.