Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Devil Daggers - High Score Thread!

So, who has heard of Devil Daggers?

A great little game, really cheap and highly addicting! Featuring Quake-style graphics and physics, this endurance arena fps has been a lot of fun to play so far. I was wondering who else owns this, and what your best survival times are so far?

Here's mine:

$4.99 price tag too much? Well I guess it is very basic.

I'm kind of lukewarm on arena survival games but I really can recommend this one. I fucking suck at it though.

Dragonfly said:

...and you play Doom? Okay then.

Doom has actual maps and weapon variety meanwhile this game takes place on a flat platform and all you have is a dagger everyone who compares this pile of shit to Doom is obviously a shill I saw free games with more content.

I'm going to guess you've not played it, or are scared of your limited skills to even try?

Besides, that wasn't the argument I thought you were making - I thought you were referencing the games aesthetics.

Dragonfly said:

I'm going to guess you've not played it, or are scared of your limited skills to even try?

Besides, that wasn't the argument I thought you were making - I thought you were referencing the games aesthetics.

Oh sorry you're right the game has whole two types of attack that changes everything and really makes it feel like Doom. If Doom was limited to shotgun and chaingun and had no levels that is.

Your sarcasm isn't useful. Honestly, that is a very, very poor way to try to measure fun.

With all due respect, I started this thread to:-

• Raise awareness about the game
  • Find other people who enjoy it
  • Discuss the game, it's mechanics, tactics etc.
  • Compete with other players.
If you've got absolutely nothing of value, unsubscribe from this thread and stay away.

Thank you.

I don't understand anything about it. Why is it so popular already? Why is it featured on numerous gaming sites? Why is it not free? Why is it compared to DOOM or Quake?

I like the style and the monsters but let's be honest. It's a flat arena (level design does not exist), there's one weapon, one game mode and a gameplay that lasts one minute unless you're really good. That's a 'free to play in your browser' material. No thanks.

Touchdown said:

Why is it not free?

Because some guy put a bunch of work into making something which is genuinely fun. Why the hell shouldn't he charge what is actually a pretty small price for his work? Take your shitty entitled bollocks out of here.

For the record I suck at this game. I've not managed to get the first power-up, and my top time is like 76 seconds. It's still fun though, and the soundscape is incredible. It does a great job of telling you what is around you and just how crazy shit is when you can't see everything all the time.

This is the endgame of the "indie game" movement -- everyone pretends that the worst version of a basic FPS possible is great, because saying otherwise would risk social disapproval, and thus complete kusoge gets hailed as being "great", to the profit of the "game designers" creating this drek.

What the fuck is happening in this thread right now?

I've played it for a while, and it's pretty damn fun.
Much harder than it looks, and honestly, after playing it for a while, I couldn't imagine playing on anything other than a flat surface for a map.
It's incredibly difficult just to master that alone.

this game doesn't really seem like it tries to be another Doom or Quake, anyway. at most, the art-style is very Quake-ish, but the gameplay seems more reminiscent to a classic arcade game, just that it's played out in first person. and yes, Doom is arcade-like, too, but Doom also has more of an objective with keys, doors and exploration for secrets and whatnot.

i haven't played this game myself, but it looks like a fun timewaster. certainly not worth the outrage for a fricking 5 dollar game.

I've only seen streams of it but the aesthetics and sound design are so freaking good that I'll probably spend 5 bux just for that stuff. I also recorded the Keurig at work today because it sounds awesome and has a really sick beat, so my taste in sound/music is probably not normal.

I really like when games have systems of musical sound effects and Devil Daggers nails it, if you're into dark ambient stuff. I think the kids call it "witch house" these days.

While this does look like a fun game, I'd like to see more done with it. A single flat arena with no direction other than 'survive here' doesn't really interest me. Now if you were delving into whoever created these monstrosities' lair then sure.

Touchdown said:

Why is it compared to DOOM or Quake?

It isn't compared to Doom. It's compared to Quake 1/2 because of the aesthetics and the movement system in this game is so similar to early quake games.

AirRaid said:

Because some guy put a bunch of work into making something which is genuinely fun. Why the hell shouldn't he charge what is actually a pretty small price for his work? Take your shitty entitled bollocks out of here.

Agreed, the sound design in this game is phenomenal. And yeah; it seems people here are used to getting something for nothing...

Cynical said:

<A load of cynical comments>

Living up to your username I see.

The Civ said:

What the fuck is happening in this thread right now?

+1. Didn't expect to see so many negative comments about the game.

The Civ said:

I've played it for a while, and it's pretty damn fun.
Much harder than it looks, and honestly, after playing it for a while, I couldn't imagine playing on anything other than a flat surface for a map.
It's incredibly difficult just to master that alone.

Very valid point regarding why it's a flat map. I think those who have issue with the game should genuinely take a moment to actually try it. I'd be amazed if you don't feel you got your five bucks worth.

Needs level design. It looks and seems to play like freeware games 5 years ago, except with better graphics.

Dragonfly said:

I can't help but feel that the people who are commenting on the lack of level design don't understand the concept.

No, we understand the concept fine. It's just that the concept is stupid.

Cynical said:

No, we understand the concept fine. It's just that the concept is stupid.

Which is ultimately just an opinion.

An obvious observation. However, just because a concept is "stupid" doesn't mean it should just be given away. With that logic someone may as well argue that Activision should give away the latest CoD for free.

Clonehunter said:

Which is ultimately just an opinion.

No shit, what else could it possibly be?

Clonehunter said:

An obvious observation. However, just because a concept is "stupid" doesn't mean it should just be given away. With that logic someone may as well argue that Activision should give away the latest CoD for free.

I'd argue there's a big difference between running around a flat featureless plane, and playing an actual campaign with levels, story, multiple weapons and multiplayer.

Do you feel your opinions are of higher value than everyone else's? Because they aren't.

If I, and hundreds of other people enjoy a genre of gaming, then we're entitled to call it good. If you don't like it you needn't add your comments to the thread - save everyone's time and don't post.

I would like to ask everyone to either post something related to the original post (Your high scores and/or experiences of playing Devil Daggers). If your comments don't follow that request, please don't comment at all. I'm not interested in your differing opinions, thank you.

Why is it so popular already?

I could think of several reasons. The game was made by one of the developers behind Dustforce, a previous indie darling title, so getting that initial PR must have been easier. It hits the niche of quick plays, deaths and retries, like Super Hexagon. No time investment makes for high viral potential: people like to share their score with friends, youtubers jump on the views bandwagon, journalists enjoy having to put little effort into testing the game. Visuals appeals to the retrogaming crowd, which overlaps with the above to some extent.

Once the hype train gets going, you throw in a low price point and people are likely to pick it up just to see what the buzz is about. It's quite ingenious as a product when you think about it, adapting your standard Facebook/mobile game design to the FPS perspective. It's a coffee break game with "real" gameplay.

Mr. Freeze said:

No shit, what else could it possibly be?

I'm not even sure why you felt the need to quote this when I already stated I was stating the obvious. But more power to you? I'm boggled.

Mr. Freeze said:

I'd argue there's a big difference between running around a flat featureless plane, and playing an actual campaign with levels, story, multiple weapons and multiplayer.

Uh, yes? That's a totally different 'logic' than one I was referencing, the one you quoted. Congratulations, both of our post counts have now gone up by one.

With that said, as a rule of thumb not necessarily directed at anyone in particular: Don't like it don't buy it, but don't shit on the people who do. Because it's not really worth your time. If you think that it is, then your priorities are hilariously retarded.

Dragonfly said:

Your sarcasm isn't useful. Honestly, that is a very, very poor way to try to measure fun.

With all due respect, I started this thread to:-

• Raise awareness about the game
  • Find other people who enjoy it
  • Discuss the game, it's mechanics, tactics etc.
  • Compete with other players.
If you've got absolutely nothing of value, unsubscribe from this thread and stay away.

Thank you.

I had never heard of this thing before today, so congrats for getting the conversation started I guess, but now I must assume that people who play this game are entitled little douchebags constantly whining for the Forum Police. I will not, therefore, be playing DemonShitSteakKnives, or whatever the fuck it is called.

Conclusion: Your game is dumb and you are dumb for liking it.

I played it like for 30 minutes. I am around 4000th place. Its not bad. I can reach like TOP 100 maybe in some time. But if you check the first guy demo (DraQu). It took around 15 minutes go so far maybe more. I kinda dont know if i will so much patience go this far heh. But its great game for warming up and stuff. Also the DraQu is from Finland is more like Speedrun legend (he runs at a lot of games) and playing CPMA and now Reflex. Just wanted say this. Heh

Ah yes, DraQu is insanely good. First to breach the 500 second mark. He speedruns Doom 3 if I remember correctly? I'm a fan of speedruns myself but I tend to watch the PSX/N64 era runs mostly.