Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShapeShifter

How many Pink Demons?

where did you hear that? i think the legacy video implies there will be only one pinky, and has been upgraded with robotics. however, two demons could make sense just because maybe there won't be a spectre?

Sounds feasible.

Besides which, it'd be nice to see a new specter that wasn't just a transparent demon.

You know, if you look at the art work work for the pink demon it looks like the robot part is a mechanical skeleton rather something that was attached.
I'm not sayong that's what it is, just that it looks like that.

Yep, it pretty much looks like the Demon has an entire robotic skeleton, not just a robotic backpart. And it would be cool to have that "damaged" version of the Demon and a version where all the flesh is still in place.

well actualy,
in the third insallment of the DooM books, by dafydd ab hugh,
a scientest studying the remains of a cyberdeamon make the observation that there is no real end between the flesh and the metal, coming to the conclusion that metalic parts were not atached but rather grown, or atached than fused to the the bone into one solid object

chodesmear said:

well actualy,
in the third insallment of the DooM books, by dafydd ab hugh...

Big hint: The books have absolutely bat-shit to do with any of the Doom games. Taking the books as canon is about as smart as writing a Doom 3 preview based on things King Reol writes. They're also a majorly taboo subject on these boards. Fair warning. Welcome to the fray. :)

I'd prefer the spectre to stay rather than have two two different pinkies.

dsm said:

I'd prefer the spectre to stay rather than have two two different pinkies.

hmm. The spectre always added something scary to DOOM. It's also very annoying, but i'm sure it would fit DOOM III well. Imagine trying to outrun this invisible beast!

I'd rather see the spectre as more of a shifting cloud or mist. In its natural, idle form, it could be barely visible and nearly impossible to tell the difference between the spectre and ordinary mist. When it sees you, it quickly moves in to attack you, while taking on an almost solid form. Only during this time is it vulnerable.

Ichor said:

I'd rather see the spectre as more of a shifting cloud or mist. In its natural, idle form, it could be barely visible and nearly impossible to tell the difference between the spectre and ordinary mist. When it sees you, it quickly moves in to attack you, while taking on an almost solid form. Only during this time is it vulnerable.

no dammit. That is one of the major faults with many games, imo. You should be able to kill whatever you can shoot at. If not the game will get frustrating.

It's only frustrating if it's used too much and not used right. I think this sort of spectre used in certain places would really add to the suspense of the game. I'm not suggesting you use around 30 spectres like in Doom 2 map 19. That really would be frustrating, and just plain silly. Maybe use just one or two of them for an entire map.

it would be cool if you had a flashlight in a gun, so when the spectre faces light, it becomes visible.

if you shine yor flashlight at it.. you wont see anything.. exept is shadow :)

I hope the spectre will have a shape and features more similar to the old pinky. The new pinky is just so transformed that it's hard to tell that it is the new pinky if you don't already know it - bringing back the old pinky's form in the new spectre wouldn't hurt imo.
I basically mean a critter which runs on its hind legs and has it's head below its shoulders.

I'd like the spectre to have a Predator-like effect - when it steps into bright light, it becomes so visible that you can see it's features, but when in shadowy areas it becomes near impossible to see.
Also, I think it should have the old pinky's yellow eyes, but they only light up when it lunges at you or when it sees you first.

Imagine walking through a darkened area among the steel pipes and suddenly you see two bright yellow spots briefly light up ahead followed by a frightening growl and then nothing.....and then you're attacked from the side by something swift and almost invisible.

I hope the Spectre version of the Pinky will NOT be in Doom3... invisibility just doesn´t fit the character of such a brutal straight-in-your-face monster.

A Spectre Imp would work better, or a completely new demon.

Tetzlaff said:

I hope the Spectre version of the Pinky will NOT be in Doom3... invisibility just doesn´t fit the character of such a brutal straight-in-your-face monster.

A Spectre Imp would work better, or a completely new demon.

heh. A spectre Imp would be very deadly. Just look at how dangerous a normal imp is in doom 3.

For some reason the thought of a stealthy demon that hides behind crates or walls to try and attack you while you're not looking is appealing to me. Ofcourse I don't want him to run away after he starts attacking because that would be too annoying. I just had a flashback of those sexy ninjas in half life that kept hiding behind boxes. Must have went through every curseword I'm capable of getting out of my mouth atleast six times that day. Anyway, I thought that was a pretty good way to make a 'spectre', on the other hand Carmack already said the ai wont be outstanding so we might not see something like that.

The AI shouldn't be that great because, after all, they are mindless zombies and fairly stupid beasts. However, the AI should be a lot more complex for the higher demons like the Baron of Hell and Hell Knight, Arch Vile, maybe the Cacodemon, etc.

orion said:

I just had a flashback of those sexy ninjas in half life that kept hiding behind boxes. ... Anyway, I thought that was a pretty good way to make a 'spectre', on the other hand Carmack already said the ai wont be outstanding so we might not see something like that.

Not outstanding, but why should it be not as good as the AI in Halflife?

I have no clue about how the AI works in recent games etc., but is it that hard to program a HL-like AI today?

Shaviro said:

heh. A spectre Imp would be very deadly. Just look at how dangerous a normal imp is in doom 3.

I think the new Imps vulnerability will be similar (1-2 shotgun blasts), but its jump attack seems indeed very dangerous... can´t wait to fight one.
Its fire balls seem to be less dangerous, because it just throwes them like a small napalm bomb or something like that...it needs a good aim to hit you with it.

HL's AI was crap - it was only because their behavior was well-scripted that they were cool to fight.

IMJack said:

Big hint: The books have absolutely bat-shit to do with any of the Doom games. Taking the books as canon is about as smart as writing a Doom 3 preview based on things King Reol writes. They're also a majorly taboo subject on these boards. Fair warning. Welcome to the fray. :)

sorry i was on vacation
Have you even read the book?!
if you have you would know the have something to do with the game, not much but some. otherwise it wouldent be able to share art and name. but if you had read them you would have realized that it not only have being BACED ON(not FOLOWING) the game that they were actualy good. i think that it would have been cool to see it like the book, IE two or more ai's that fight along with you the entire game, multiple endings if one of them die, or if you die you become one of the others and continue to fight. and if that ever happens(i know it probobly wont so dont flame me for sayin so) a co-op storymode to play on the net.

Having a couple of people fight with you is like what Elite Force does, which isn't bad. Although as you decend deeper into Hell, they should all be killed off or possessed (attacking you instead), leaving you to continue on alone. However, if the main character dies, the game should be over, just like any other game. Becoming a minor character just to prolong the game just doesn't make any sense to me.

I HATE having NPCs to fight alongside the player - it's like a sort of fake gameplay where you can let the computer do a great deal of your work for you.
AND it's un-Doomish imo.
No, in Doom 3 you're supposed to experience it alone without dumb, computer controlled allies.