Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Should Doomguy speak?

I'm Duke Nukem! I shoot guns and kick spleens! My name sounds like something a stripper would have, maybe that's why I'm in all these strip clubs! I can't hear over my bubble gum, it's really loud and unappealing to chew, I shouldn't have put the whole pack in my mouth at once...

I'm Duke Nukem! I'm the best!

I think a few people here are getting confused about the info given. So I'll sum up some parts in a single sentence.

Doomguy should not be Duke Nukem AT ALL. Nor should he talk.

Trailers don't show that, which is great!

Trailers also don't show, however, grunts or death screams even while taking damage.

Hence why I'm bitching.

I never want Doomguy to be anything but Doomguy! Not Duke Nukem, not Wang, and defintely no Brutal Doom Doomguy. Seems the grunt/scream thing seems to be a thing, which is good.

If they MUST add dialogue to Doomguy in D4, then it should be used very sparingly (like once or twice, or during the intro/finale).

Potatoguy said:

Trailers also don't show, however, grunts or death screams even while taking damage.

Wowie! I wonder what this weird sound that plays in the trailer when Doomguy's legs are ripped off is, maybe some kind of secret code?

I too, would like to see death screams whenever taking damage, and of course only the best life screams whenever he dies.

Heard that too, very low/quiet and sort of blury , that's Doomguy, he's never had a voice, but he's had gasps and such .

If you are going to give Doomguy a voice, at least make him sound like Ash Williams going insane in the Evil Dead franchise. I think that accurately summarizes what Doomguy would be like IRL.

Ooph! Grunt! Ooomph! AEArgh! BLAEAAH! Ooph-ooph-ooph-ooph-ooph-ooph (spamming wall looking for secret)

That was Doomguy for "Don't give Doomguy a voice outside of grunt noises!"

No, he should not. NPC can talk to Doomguy and they should make little pause like he answer and talk to them too, but with no sound. What he have to say it's Your own voice in Your head, what is more important is his actions not words. Doom3 do that in good way, FEAR and Half Life do that even better. As for pain sounds I'm for yes, but it is not that much important for me.

GoatLord said:

This made my day.

Mine too. LOL Now I keep picturing Doomguy sounding like a stoner for whatever reason. Is that a good or bad thing? *laughs*

EDIT: Now I also have a mental image of Doomguy in Doom (2016) pulling out a blunt and smoking some weed. XD

dsm said:

The original Doom story mentioned that he was willing to risk his own neck to prevent his Commanding Officer from killing innocent civilians - a psychopath would never do something like that unless he could somehow use it to cause even more pain and suffering on others, and I don't buy that he would have been able to predict the Hell invasion on Mars and deliberately get himself kicked up there just so he could have "fun" killing demons 3 years later.

He could still be emotionally stunted from years of brutal combat experience on Earth prior to his transfer to Mars, but that doesn't make him a psychopath.

Psychopathy doesn't necessarily entail that a person is evil just that their regard for personal well being is inhibited and perhaps urges.

Xerge said:

Or become the toughest shit you can become, I don't buy the "Hollywood" tough hero type, where the protagonist is a bad ass from beginning to end without some serious struggling, vulnerability and suffering in the process, even if you read the stuff it says between episodes and between levels in Doom and Doom2 you can tell Doomguy isn't having a good time, he even seems to feel frustrated at the ending of knee deep in the dead.

Dude, it's a Doom game. It was practically defined by the whole "hollywood tough hero" type especially considering it was the 90's. This wasn't exactly some profound story of inner strength. This was literally one man and his boomstick vs the hordes of hell. And he did it several times. Take the brief moments of text between episodes to heart if you want but don't read too much into it.

Xaero_Four said:

Take the brief moments of text between episodes to heart if you want but don't read too much into it.

I'm just taking them into consideration as we all should, because they are also part of the game and they tell us about what's going on not only in phobos, deimos or earth but also with the Doomguy. You can just choose to ignore it, but that would be ignoring parts of the game which defined Doomguy's personality. Maybe you don't like who he really is meant to be in the game and that's fine, you don't have to like it if you don't.

Xaero_Four said:

Dude, it's a Doom game. It was practically defined by the whole "hollywood tough hero" type especially considering it was the 90's. This wasn't exactly some profound story of inner strength. This was literally one man and his boomstick vs the hordes of hell. And he did it several times. Take the brief moments of text between episodes to heart if you want but don't read too much into it.

Also remember: he had a cute rabbit as a pet.

Xerge said:

Also remember: he had a cute rabbit as a pet.

Maybe he was a tough guy on the outside, but a sweet guy on the inside unless pushed the wrong way? =P

Anyway, Doomguy in my head is someone who suffers from severe PTSD. Does this make him a psychopath? No, it just means that he begins to slowly lose his sanity from going into Hell so many damn times, that if he does speak, he'd probably sound like Ash Williams or John J Rambo (without the whole Stallone accent).

DoomzRules said:

Maybe he was a tough guy on the outside, but a sweet guy on the inside unless pushed the wrong way? =P

That actually makes a lot of sense, since the ending of Thy Fleshed Consumed mentioned "someone" was going to pay for what they did to Daisy, Doomguy's pet rabbit.

Doomguy gives excellent speeches, I think we're missing a great opportunity here.

Almonds said:

what I would personally like to hear or see in the new game is every time doomguy speaks or raises his voice he raises his index finger and we immediately get carried over to either a panoramic view of the room hes currently in or an outer view of the location and there's something like heavy machinery roaring loudly or cargo ships buzzing through, and once we're let back in the room again the person he was speaking with just goes 'thats really good [SUDDEN PANORAMIC VIEW OF THE LOCATION AGAIN AND THE SOUNDS ARE LOUDER], will do', to which doomguy nods and goes on his way

Rofl I love this

Edit, after reading what Xerge said, I do think some story pages like the old games would be cool, but I have a feeling that's not flashy enough for the crowd. I love reading the story bits though, it forces you to interpret and use your imagination (so it's essentially taboo. But still.)

No, many reasons. BUT.... If he were to speak, I Feel it should be in a similer fashion to ed hardy's take on mad max.

MrGlide said:

No, many reasons. BUT.... If he were to speak, I Feel it should be in a similer fashion to ed hardy's take on mad max.

I think you mean Tom Hardy, lol. I totally agree, straight to the point, pissed off but not going to speak if it isn't needed.

I think some of you think of Doomguy being like this:

But I just can imagine him having this kind of behaviour in Quake 3 Arena (post Doom) when he is having some sort of psychotic episode or post stress traumatic disorder sympton.

Xerge said:

Duke Nukem's phrases have become more idiotic and less funny in time.

Only most of them. A few still hang around in your head.

I still like the chewing gum phrase and your face your ass phrase.

Still love that "where is it?" phrase, shows he's irritated.

Doomguy shouldn't speak cause he is a soldier not some loudmouth mercenary (the comic one seemed like a psychotic Doomguy). He is afraid, but doesn't show it, he is strong, and willing to use it if he has to. Would a real life soldier say, did a headshot on cannon fodder, then say "your face your ass, what's the difference?"?. It would be pointless for him. Just stick to shooting the enemy until it dies then move on.

No bullshit.

For anyone concerned about the Doomguy having too much dialogue, he doesn't do so much as utter a "huff" when he jumps or much less scream when he has his fucking arms dismembered from their sockets by a revenant, so I'd assume its safe to say he's going to have his mouth ducktaped shut throughout the game.

It would be kind of ridiculous to give him a voice at this point. He's never spoken before and there's no real indication that things will change with Doom '16. In these types of games the cinematics and such are always constructed so the player, conveniently, never has to speak.

He probably would've made a better Doom Marine for the Doom movie (which shoudln't exist).